Zgemma H2H + VM Broadband =Pixellation?

NKidd_14

Hi, hoping someone could offer some help with this one.

It used to be fine -
- I've had my h2h for years now, never had a problem with pixellation before.
- Used to have talktalk broadband.
- Had various subs which all worked fine.

The issue began -
- I swapped to virgin, due to other issues with talktalk.
- Added a splitter so i could still use the H2H.

At this point Pixellation was occurring frequently.

- i know its not the sub: the sub is from a trusted supplier, i have a friend using the same sub/different broadband and they have no issues.
- I've tried replacing the the the splitter with a new technetix one and labgear one but no joy.
- I've tried replacing all the virgin cables with new green end cables (1m) but still no joy.

- Also tried moving the router away from the h2h. I now have it on the other side of the room, but issue still occurring.

anyone have any ideas?

What are your power levels ? As before you didn't have internet. All the signal went to the box. Now your have split the signal in half. Half to h2h and half to internet. I would look at a powered splitter

What are your power levels ? As before you didn't have internet. All the signal went to the box. Now your have split the signal in half. Half to h2h and half to internet. I would look at a powered splitter

Guessing the percentage in the corner is the power level? If so, averaging around 70..

Do you have any recommendations for a decent/well priced one?

Attachments

• EB789560-D05A-40BE-A3F8-9E6284F233AB.jpeg
    EB789560-D05A-40BE-A3F8-9E6284F233AB.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 23
The H.2H does need a very good signal and the signal display isn't accurate. You will find with Cable TV that the signal varies by frequency, the higher and lower frequencies are often well different to the centre frequency.

login to the router and paste the downstream power levels here:
on the bottom of the router is a 'settings password' write it down
open a browser window on laptop and type 192.168.0.1, click enter
use that password to login to the router
click Advanced settings on the left, then tools>network status
this opens a new page, click Downstream tab at the top and it'll show all the data in a list

login to the router and paste the downstream power levels here:
on the bottom of the router is a 'settings password' write it down
open a browser window on laptop and type 192.168.0.1, click enter
use that password to login to the router
click Advanced settings on the left, then tools>network status
this opens a new page, click Downstream tab at the top and it'll show all the data in a list
thanks mate, just had a look at this. Attached screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 19.20.42.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 19.20.42.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 19.20.35.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 19.20.35.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 19.20.21.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 19.20.21.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 19.20.10.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 19.20.10.png
    210.2 KB · Views: 25
Only needed the one titled 19/20/10

Your power levels are too low, channels 14 and 15 are the only two that are within parameters, all the rest are too low.

The dbmv should be between -6 and 10, so around 2 would be about middle of that range, a lot of yours are -7 and -8 and even -6.5 is still too low, -6 is the absolute minimum

Have you removed an attenuator from anywhere?

Only needed the one titled 19/20/10

Your power levels are too low, channels 14 and 15 are the only two that are within parameters, all the rest are too low.

The dbmv should be between -6 and 10, so around 2 would be about middle of that range, a lot of yours are -7 and -8 and even -6.5 is still too low, -6 is the absolute minimum

Have you removed an attenuator from anywhere?

Nope, no aerials removed. Is it worth me checking the power levels with the splitter removed?

An attenuator looks like this:

Yes, the first thing to do now is remove splitters etc and just have the incoming cable going into the (powered off) router, then restart the router and re-check the power levels.
If they are still miles out, you can get VM to visit and put it right.

If they are OK, you can't as VM will test it like that and walk away, which means you'll need a HDU

If more people are using it in the street, the levels can get lower
Different things affect it

You can get different levels of attenuator. But if your low you will need to boost it

ah, is this the thing? i had one on before i changed the cables.
but the pixellation was still happening before, with this connected..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 22
Put it back on and check power levels, you've got to try and get those -7 and -8 nearer to +2 or at least below -6

try it with that on but the splitter removed, just see what you can do with it, it's no good as it is

Put it back on and check power levels, you've got to try and get those -7 and -8 nearer to +2 or at least below -6

try it with that on but the splitter removed, just see what you can do with it, it's no good as it is

Removed splitter and added the splitter. Looks better now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 20.42.35.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 20.42.35.png
    196.2 KB · Views: 23
so if no splitter, how are you connecting router and zgemma?
That’s the thing, zgemma wasn’t connected.
I removed the splitter and tested the router with just the attenuator. Which the levels show we’re fine (I think) so i can’t call vm out to look at this. As the issue only occurs when the splitter is connected with the zgemma. I’ve ordered the HDU mentioned above for now, hoping that’ll do the trick

Back