Cable Zgemma Setup and First Experiences

Jimdefruit

Having used and tested enigma receivers for many years, starting with a Dreambox 7000s and progressing throught the Dreambox models up to a Dream 800HD and then VU boxes from Duo2 and Duo Ultimo 4k, I have now started experimenting with a Zgemma H7C.

The latest move is a bit of a learning curve because whist I have enjoyed the LT, VIX and my favourite the VTI images, the Zgemma works better on other images.

The first mistake I made was to have the box pre-flashed with VIX which I thought I would be comfortable with. However, the VIX image does not have all the software to manipulate the Multiboot options and is not very flexible. So after a day of trying to get to grips with the box, I bit the bullet and reflashed the box with the OpenATV image. The OpenATV image gives easy access to the multiboot options.

I do like playing with and testing images hence the need for multiboot.

I have an internal had drive fitted in my Zgemma so I ftp's extra zipped images to the root of my hard drive. The ones I have started with are Openesi and PurE2.

Using the openatv multiboot handling options, I immediately found the extra images on my hard drive and installed purE2 in slot 2 and openesi in slot 3 of the multiboot.

I have been playing with the purE2 image and found it does everything I want. I used DreamboxEdit to install all my settings and bouquets as used on my VU boxes and having configured the tuners, everything was up and dancing in next to no time.

I am amazed to find that then Zgemma is much faster than my VU boxes and hence is very nice to experiment with.

I look forward to trying out various images.

Jimdefruit

I think I have tried them all over the years and I keep coming back to atv
Why no idea, most of them are all 90% the same really

One have extra features. Some are missing feature and better layouts
It’s all getting used to it and you can add plugins easy enough to get them the same

The more you understand the box and images the easier things become we all have to learn somewhere I'm still learning now Ive just moved from openatv to vix I find different images run different on different boxes lol

The first mistake I made was to have the box pre-flashed with VIX which I thought I would be comfortable with. However, the VIX image does not have all the software to manipulate the Multiboot options and is not very flexible. So after a day of trying to get to grips with the box, I bit the bullet and reflashed the box with the OpenATV image. The OpenATV image gives easy access to the multiboot options.

In what way is ATV better than ViX as far as multiboot concerned?
As far as I can see, every image I've tried has pretty much the same options.

ViX.jpg

ATV.jpg

HDF.jpg

PLI.jpg

Willo, you have shown the pictures for the selection of a boot image. Yes they are nearly all the same. What is not the same is the methods of selecting an image for new installation and there, openvix is not as good as some others.

The boot manager is also the same.
ViX has also incorporated the download of OpenATV and OpenPli into the image manager and enables you to flash them into the free slots.
There is also a user defined category for you to add your favourite image if not listed.
I really don't know how it could be easier than that?

12019-07-28_182745.jpg

Last edited:
I find the Cable tuner in the H7C to be better than previous ZGemma models and even better then the Vu+ Cable tuners. Satellite is about the same as Vu+ tuners.

I find the Cable tuner in the H7C to be better than previous ZGemma models and even better then the Vu+ Cable tuners. Satellite is about the same as Vu+ tuners.

Definitely my favourite receiver and has seen my Mutant HD51 away to the loft!

Back