Zgemma signal intermittentły dropsred

Godno145

Hi, please help, I am pulling my hair out!

In October I bought a zgemma star 2s, installed added line no problem! Neighbour saw it was impressed, so he got one, same process used same image and installed his, I did have an issue with his not having a picture on his channels, but factory reset and started again, all was fine second time through! All has been good until last few months, his box started to freeze a bit more than usually, it would also every now and then go off (not get any channel, except bbc 1 and bbc 2, not even itv!). This has got progressively worse, now it's struggles to stay for any length of time a few hours, and then after awhile off waiting it will come on.

What I have done:
Played with settings and tried various scans - although learnt a lot about the box couldn't find the problem
Reset and restarted - did not put a c line on it to rule this out and this rules software out! But did not get any signal.
Tried the box at my house - worked fine for the 45 - 60mins, did not break/ freeze and loaded up very quick. This tells me the issue is likely not to be the box?

Took it back across wired up - no signal, re-did the connectors at the back of the box, made sure they were good. Still nothing, we left it on with no signal as we discussed next stages after about 10mins, it came on! (Maybe it heard us threatening to replace it with old free sat box!)

The SNR for bbc 1 was 100% same for bbc 2, itv etc... I added a previously bought c-line, worked no problem the SNR for some of these channels sky sports etc was 75-85% and picture was good.

He was watching this last night after about 3-4 hours, it froze and lost signal again on everything (SNR = 0%) he restarted the box, nothing! Left it on, went back 30mins later and it was working fine again!

The only differences he has on his system to mine is his internet connection is through a wireless mains plug (his TalkTalk router is based upstairs and TalkTalk provides mains plugs which work as Ethernet port) he is also on broadband I am on fibre (don't think this makes any difference)!

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Could this be weather related? Is it more troublesome during higher winds and rain? Strange how the SNR can go from so good to so bad in such a short space of time. Have you looked at the F connections up at the dish maybe check them for water ingress or contamination breaking the connections also the dish is secure I guess? When I was reading I thought internet connection but got to the end of your post and that's pretty much eliminated along with all other settings. I'd be looking at the dish next but I'm no expert. Hope you find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it is weather related it is perfect sunshine here (I know it is the uk and we have a nice day!)

Not sure if the storm we had last week contributed to it, but it was playing up a bit before then.

Next step will be f connectors at the back of the dish, I am in recovery from a knee op, so it won't be me up the ladder, my neighbour has been up and says they look ok, although one wouldn't unscrew, he is not the most confident with things like this! He is worried about knocking the dish out of line?

The LNB does have 4 ports, the cable goes into the middle 2, am I right in believing that it doesn't matter which ports they go into? Could we put them in the other 2?

I think I am at the conclusion it is either cable/connectors or LNB, is there any way of testing any of these?

Thanks

I have seen this happening many, many times and what I have figured it out to be from the ones I've seen (this may be different for your case though) is that it was the internet being cut out by another device being used in the house - phone, tablet, laptop etc.
For example I installed one for my Dad in my home house and as soon as I walk in the door of the house the box starts glitching and cuts out over and over. This has been found to have been caused by my phone using the WiFi- turn wifi off on the phone and all is well in the world. this was further proven by when the brother is about as he has the same phone and his cuts it out also. Phone in question is a OnePlus 2.
In a friends house they were having issues and I could for the life of me find nothing wrong so told them this story and told them to look out for signs of what it COULD be. Sure enough that evening they figured out it was one of their phones,
The stories go on and on here and I could give you many more examples. I'm no expert so have absolutely no notion why this happens but maybe someone else will.

My advice is grab as many of the devices as you can that are connected in your house and sit in front of the TV then wait for it to freeze again then just simply start turning WiFi off on one device at a time and leave off for a minute or so. One by one you can eliminate that device probably and see which is causing the problem - then throw said device clean out the window. Also - start with anything Android - this is where mst problems seem to have come from in my experience.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this, I have heard that TalkTalk routers don't like iPhones, and that some cause the internet to drop. And this router is a TalkTalk!

However I was of the understanding that these do not need an Internet connect? It uses signal from the dish? The Internet is just needed for epg and the gift to work?

If I am wrong then, this would be a good path to go down!

Thank you for this, I have heard that TalkTalk routers don't like iPhones, and that some cause the internet to drop. And this router is a TalkTalk!

However I was of the understanding that these do not need an Internet connect? It uses signal from the dish? The Internet is just needed for epg and the gift to work?

If I am wrong then, this would be a good path to go down!

You must have internet. That's how the build is downloaded from the server initially. Then when it's on you will be able to view freeview channels without internet but what is the point in this? Go buy a cheap freeview box if that's all that's needed

Thank you again for this, I do agree if I wanted only the FTA channels i would be better buying cheap freesat box.

The reason I had suggested removing Internet is to isolate the issue. You have just given me an idea to test this, I have just removed the Ethernet from my working box (the issue I am having is with a neighbours box!) and turned the box off and on, unfortunately it does still boot with the FTA channels. Which means it cannot be the network dropping at my neighbours house as it would still find the signal!

Thank you for the suggestion, anymore suggestions are welcome!

1 to try is a different power lead had 1 box working ok then dropped out took box to my house worked no problem at all for 24 hrs took back worked ok couple hours then lost again Changed his power lead worked no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankyou for the suggestions, we have been up on the ladder this morning and although the connectors and connections all looked fine, we move the cables to the other two ports on the LNB, and it worked (for now!) time will tell, but the box is now working perfectly with no problems!

Thanks

Back