Zgemma Star 2S Stuck on boot

paullim

So, I have been having real problems with my zgemma star 2s of late, and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I came home from work last Friday to find the box displaying 'boot' on the front display.
So, I turned it off at the back, restarted but the same thing happened.
Having trawled the wooshbuild forums over the past few days, I concluded I might as well reflash it and start over.
Sadly, the same thing happens over and over.
When I insert my USB in the box to flash, the display changes to 'flsh', but after a few minutes it reverts to 'boot' and just stays there, with the basebuild logo on the screen and the green light ON.
I have used different USB sticks, tried different versions of wooshbuild, have done a full FAT32 format on one of the USB's, but whatever I try based on other forum posts, the box just will not boot.
In fact one of the USB sticks that I have tried using is the same stick that I have used to flash previously, so it would appear that something has changed.
I have read occasional posts regarding adding OpenATV, but I do not really understand that.
I thought that everything I needed to get up and running would be in the zgemma folder on my wooshbuild install file, or am I missing something?
I don't remember having to do anything like that last time around.
This is my last throw of the dice before biting the bullet and buying another.
I've seen past forum posts from people saying that they have never encountered a box that cannot be salvaged, but I am simply out of ideas.
I just don't fancy shelling out for a new one until I know for sure that it is curtains for my existing box.
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Cheers in advance.

when you get to the basebuild logo, are you getting any error messages on screen? - invalid magic or similar?

flashing a basic image of openatv is no different to flashing anything else - wooshbuild is openatv but with added plugins and features

go to zgemma site, click firmwares and find your box, then choose openatv
flash as normal, and afterwards you can flash wooshbuild over that

when you get to the basebuild logo, are you getting any error messages on screen? - invalid magic or similar?

flashing a basic image of openatv is no different to flashing anything else - wooshbuild is openatv but with added plugins and features

go to zgemma site, click firmwares and find your box, then choose openatv
flash as normal, and afterwards you can flash wooshbuild over that

Thanks for your suggestions.
No error messages whatsoever, just the wooshbuild logo on the screen with 'boot' on the display.
I will give the above suggestions a bash when I get home.
So theoretically, would flashing wooshbuild over the top of an existing OpenATV flash be potentially beneficial?
I thought that when you flashed a USB that it erased everything that was on there previously, or is that not the case?

all usb sticks should be formatted with FAT32 before you put any flash files on them

flashing a basic no frills image is often a better option when a box is stuck in boot

once it's flashed, you can put anything you want on it

all usb sticks should be formatted with FAT32 before you put any flash files on them

flashing a basic no frills image is often a better option when a box is stuck in boot

once it's flashed, you can put anything you want on it

But by reflashing over the basic image, would that not delete the no frills image in the process and take me back to square one?

No, it'll take you to square two, namely wooshbuild, which is what you're trying to flash.
Yes you'll lose the basic image but these often flash when nothing else will, then you can put your WB back on once you've got the box booting up again

No, it'll take you to square two, namely wooshbuild, which is what you're trying to flash.
Yes you'll lose the basic image but these often flash when nothing else will, then you can put your WB back on once you've got the box booting up again

Right, I get it now.
Cheers. Fingers crossed for tonight.
Nowhere left to turn I guess, if this goes south.
I'll let you know how I go.
Thanks again.

No joy I'm afraid.
I have flashed with a basic OpenATV image, but the same problem persists.
I now have the Open ATV logo on screen rather than the Wooshbuild logo, but the box still displays as 'boot' which remains just as it was previously.
The only difference is that after 30 seconds or so, the Open ATV logo changes to what I can only describe as static, which doesn't seem too promising.
Any further ideas, or is it time to sack it off as a bad job?

hi paullim
I cant suggest a way to get your box flashed better than already suggested, but I still have my 2s and the only reason I still have it is because I go by "if it aint broke don't fix it" rule, however if it ever goes t*ts up I will have no hesitation to up grade to one of the newer boxes with all the advantages they come with , faster , up in memory etc etc as they don't cost a fortune and if they last as long as this 2s it would be money well spent! just my 2 peneth :(y):
deano

Hi paullium.
Have you had any luck with the box?
I have the same problem with my zgemma star 2s, stuck on boot with the red light. About every 10 seconds it changes to green for couple of seconds and shows the openatv logo before turning off again. I had openvix and WooshBuild v5 but the channel froze and after turning the box off with the white power button and on again, all of this started.
I'd be interest to know if you were able to get yours running again or if not what you replaced it with.

Hi paullium.
Have you had any luck with the box?
I have the same problem with my zgemma star 2s, stuck on boot with the red light. About every 10 seconds it changes to green for couple of seconds and shows the openatv logo before turning off again. I had openvix and WooshBuild v5 but the channel froze and after turning the box off with the white power button and on again, all of this started.
I'd be interest to know if you were able to get yours running again or if not what you replaced it with.

No luck at all.
Had to grit my teeth, and buy an h2s.
It seems you can't buy them brand new anymore, so I picked one up second hand for £60 on eBay, which seems to be the going rate.
Much quicker than the star 2s.
Should have got one years ago, with hindsight.

Back