360 won't recognise some games in drive, but DVDs are fine?

Session9

VIP Member
Oh the pain!

My poor 360 isn't recognizing that there is a game in it's drive.
If I put a DVD in there it works fine, and Bioshock worked fine up until last week when I finished the game.

Lately, I've been trying to play LEGO Indiana Jones, but I have to open and close the tray about 15 times until it recognizes there is a disc in there.
It does it with the few games I've tried, including the latest GTA.

Whyyyy!?
Any ideas?

And nah, it's not the discs, they're not scratched or anything.

You seem to having a lot of probs tonight!! lol
Have you tried a cleaner in the drive CD/DVD drive cleaner?

I am!
Nothing is going right for me on the technical/electronic scene lately.

I haven't tried cleaning it, I'll do that when I get home from work, along with the My Docs thing.
I didn't think about doing that, because DVDs work fine?

homesick - I'm not sure what you mean?

your drive is dying, the laser needs to be replaced, if it is newer M$ will replace it, if not they will not touch it. this repair is not for the fait of heart and is considered for experienced users only. MS will fix it but they will charge you alot.

your best bet? find a modder that can replace the laser.

Really?

Is that why it's still reading DVDs but not games?

Good luck to me trying to find a modder where I live haha
Thanks =]

Homie is definitely the man here for this.
No harm in trying a cleaner though in the meantime? Just in case.

you could also do a POT Calibration, but again experienced users only. the drive is only replaceable by MS if you have a modder replace it, it will be considered "modded" and you could be banned from XBL. you need to stick with a replacement laser, a dvd cleaner might work, but i am doubtful, even if it does it will only be a short-term temp. fix.

What's this POT Calibration? Something I could do with instruction? Cost anything?

It's younger than 1yo, is that within warranty time?

What's this POT Calibration? Something I could do with instruction? Cost anything?

It's younger than 1yo, is that within warranty time?

yes, call Microsoft immediatly and return it. they are open 24/7

1-800-4-MYXBOX (that number is for the United States not sure if it works overseas)

they will replace it for free, takes about 2 & 1/2 weeks here in the states. it will be shipped to Texas most likely.

I'm in Australia, I'll look up numbers on the net.
Thanks homes =]

Gotta figure out how to go 2.5 weeks or longer without an xbox/dvd player now..

Sounds like you need new drive or could try this if you dont know how to open 360 search net many tuts on this

Attachments

• XBOX_360_POT_CALIBRATION_V1.0_by_Moda.rar
    140.6 KB · Views: 21
exact same problem i had with the spare xbox, had to replace the drive in the end and flash it with the key from the original drive, pot calibration is a pain in the backside!

xbox really do treat you like you're stupid when you call.
They told me it was because the time and date wasn't right.

Yep...cause it would have only started doing that last week, when the time and date has been wrong for almost 8 months. :bang head:

Might try them again. Sounds like I don't really wanna do this POT calibration thing lol

xbox really do treat you like you're stupid when you call.
They told me it was because the time and date wasn't right.

Yep...cause it would have only started doing that last week, when the time and date has been wrong for almost 8 months. :bang head:

Might try them again. Sounds like I don't really wanna do this POT calibration thing lol

you can aslo register your xbox 360 online, and file a repair that way, but i am not sure how well it works over seas. if you want Session i could do it for you if you PM me your console serial number and your mailing address. they will send you a box and a return shipping label to ship it back to them for free. you just pack it up, slap on the sticker, mail it out, and wait.

are they still doind the "coffins" homie? thought they had finished those or is that just for RROD repair?

scandalous they put it down to time and date, ive never heard something so stupid in my life!

are they still doind the "coffins" homie? thought they had finished those or is that just for RROD repair?

scandalous they put it down to time and date, ive never heard something so stupid in my life!

good question axxxo, i am not sure, may just be for RROD, but they still do it cause i did one last month that had RROD

Thanks homes, I'll do the online thing myself, got it bookmarked. See what happens.

axxxo, the woman at xbox said it had something to do with the time and date on the discs, and the time and date on the 360 :confused:

I think I've read somewhere that they only send out the coffins for RROD too..

Back