A Few Questions about skybox

channelking

1. I just wanted to ask I have seen there is a latest firmware update, is it mandatory to update it as I havent?

2. If I update to ajs list, how can I make the main channels favorites so I can get to them quickly? I ask this because im not used the numbering.

1/ it fixes the epg and codec probs on certain channels (audio, no picture) 2/ just do factory reset do not select anything in list just press blue button This will change the Favorites 1/2 ect to entertainment/ lifestyle ect

Last edited:
Do you know which channel have no audio/picture? So its neccesary to update with latest firmware? I dont get what you mean why would i do a factory reset for favorites.

I am not sure whether to update as not sure if my box is original or clone as dont want to brick it. Any suggestions?

Anyone tell me the best way to organize favourites or AJ or satts channel list?

I think Tich misunderstood what you were trying to achieve. You only need to do a "factory settings" if your favourite headings are mixed up, or show as Fav1, Fav2 etc.

If you want to create your own favourites group, you can do this while in the "favourites edit" menu. Press the "FAV" button on the remote. Scroll to the next available free Favourite group (it's Fav group 26 on my list). Press OK. You can now select the channels from the "All satellite" list on the left & add them to your Fav group on the right.

When done you can rename your Fav group if you want.

It will be overwritten next time you install another channel list though.

Which box do you have?

The channels which gave sound but no picture problems are Sony Max, GEO UK, Baby TV, Box nation, Crime +1, & a few adult channels. There may be a few others as well. This problem was only on the F3s & F5s.

If you try to upgrade your firmware with genuine firmware by USB, then if your box is a clone, it should say "upgrade file is mismatch".

Last edited:
Is there any way to keep the fav groups from being overwritten the next time you update channel list?

I have a F5S skybox.

So to resolve the problem on those channels you have to update firmware?

If it is a clone box and I get that message where do I get the firmware from and how would I upgrade the firmware as I forgot how to do it?

Is there any way to keep the fav groups from being overwritten the next time you update channel list?

I have a F5S skybox.

So to resolve the problem on those channels you have to update firmware?

If it is a clone box and I get that message where do I get the firmware from and how would I upgrade the firmware as I forgot how to do it?

A new channel list overwrites the old one, so there's no way to keep your modifications.

The latest F3s/F5s firmware is in the downloads section:-

Bug fix for summer time EPG - Downloads - TechKings

To install it, download firmware. Use Winrar or any other similar program to unpack it. Put it on a USB memory stick.

Insert memory stick into Skybox. Go to Menu > tools > upgrade by USB. Upgrade mode = Image File (*.abs).

Select your image in "upgrade file" box (if you have more than 1 image on the memory stick). "Keeping DBS & setting" = yes. Scroll to "Start" & press OK.

Although it should keep all your important settings, make sure your gift is already backed up to your pc or USB stick first.

If you need to backup your gift:-

Your gift line could be in CCcam or MGcam.

Look in Menu > network local settings > camds setup > CCcam client setup > Manage config files > CCcam.cfg. If your line is there, it should be ticked & show Online.

Exit back to menu > Tools > Dump by USB. Select Dump mode as Misc Files. Scroll to Select & Dump & press OK. Scroll to CCcam.cfg (CCcam plug). Press OK to tick it, then yellow button to dump to your USB stick. It will only take a second or 2. Press info button. The result should show CCcam.cfg (CCcam plug)......OK.

If your line isn't in CCcam.cfg, then look in menu > network local settings > camds.setup > MGCamd plug setup > Manage config files > newcamd.list.

If it's there, then exit back to menu > Tools > dump by USB. Select Dump mode as Misc Files. Scroll to Select & Dump & press OK. Scroll to newcamd.list (MGCamd plug). Press OK to tick it, then yellow button to dump to your USB stick. It will only take a second or 2. Press info button. The result should show newcamd.list (MGCamd plug)......OK

If your box is a clone, then I don't think there is an upgrade for the sound & no picture problem.

Last edited:
Awesome guide mate. But if indeed it is a clone after I try to upgrade the firmware is there no way to get latest firmware for the box somehow? I remember someone stating a site but I forgot now.

After I updated to latest channel list I went to the channels you said and for boxnation, GEO UK and others there is both sound and picture. How did that happen? Dont I need to get the firmware now then?

Awesome guide mate. But if indeed it is a clone after I try to upgrade the firmware is there no way to get latest firmware for the box somehow? I remember someone stating a site but I forgot now.

After I updated to latest channel list I went to the channels you said and for boxnation, GEO UK and others there is both sound and picture. How did that happen? Dont I need to get the firmware now then?

The firmware for clones is available from here:-

www.hddvbsw.com

Have a look to see what firmware you are already running.

Go to menu > tools > information. Have a look at "software ver". My F5s has the latest (3601HD_10_04_2014_0670).

The firmware for clones is available from here:-

www.hddvbsw.com

Have a look to see what firmware you are already running.

Go to menu > tools > information. Have a look at "software ver". My F5s has the latest (3601HD_10_04_2014_0670).

Thanks the link I was after. It looks like it hasnt got the latest firmware.

Ye mine isnt running the latest firmware, yet I dont have the issues with channels in question. Do you think I should still update the firmware if its even possible?

Ye mine isnt running the latest firmware, yet I dont have the issues with channels in question. Do you think I should still update the firmware if its even possible?

The latest firmware was also for the 1 hour problem with the XMLTV 5 day EPG. The first firmware for the "sound but no picture" problem was the one before (dated 2014/04/08 on the skybox.cc website). Perhaps you have this firmware on your box. What does your software ver actually say?

If you don't use the XMLTV 5 day EPG then it's not worth upgrading.

Hi folks totally new to this I have a Libertview f5s, running software version 3601HD_01_04_2014_06B5 I've read that there is/was a problem updating through ethernet as I have no wifi dongle I am nervous of updating as I don't want to turn the box into a door stop.My question is this, it safe to update through the cable or should i hold off and buy a dongle and do it that way any help would be gratefully appreciated thanks.

You dont update through the ethernet cable , there are 2 ways to do this 1, usb stick ( what i use no probs) Also Lan tool

Thanks for the reply

Hi thanks for getting back to me told you I was new,not sure where I got that idea. If i understand it now all I need do is get a firmware update onto a usb stick and go to upgrade by usb and that's it done.Thanks for putting me right I can now go and get started.

The latest firmware was also for the 1 hour problem with the XMLTV 5 day EPG. The first firmware for the "sound but no picture" problem was the one before (dated 2014/04/08 on the skybox.cc website). Perhaps you have this firmware on your box. What does your software ver actually say?

If you don't use the XMLTV 5 day EPG then it's not worth upgrading.

Sorry for late response mate, havent checked but will let you the firmware version soon.

Thing is how do I have sound and picture on all channels yet I didnt upgrade to latest firmware?

I think my box is a clone.

Back