Guide A guide to the best boxes for IPTV 2021

Thanks for the last few posts, I've got some looking about to do. Much appreciated. (y)

EDIT: nowt up wiv Yorkshire its gods own country, We,re all good ens up ere.
No Pal Wales is Gods country followed by a very close second Ireland. You can have 3rd place 🤣

Yes but the picture source has to meet this criteria before it will use AI upscaling.
AI Upscaling
Hi there, would you say the shield is worthwhile when one wants to watch FHD sport (e.g.) Football, Cricket, F1 on a 4K TV? To be honest the TV is too big for the room, very clever of me. It's perfectly fine for 4K content but that isn't available for most sport. I see pixels on Sky Sports FHD channels (the quality is noticeable down from other channels like Now Sports, TNT Sports etc. I would get the shield if it could easy the pain of those pixels on this new TV I stupidly bought.

Any wisdom on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi there, would you say the shield is worthwhile when one wants to watch FHD sport (e.g.) Football, Cricket, F1 on a 4K TV? To be honest the TV is too big for the room, very clever of me. It's perfectly fine for 4K content but that isn't available for most sport. I see pixels on Sky Sports FHD channels (the quality is noticeable down from other channels like Now Sports, TNT Sports etc. I would get the shield if it could easy the pain of those pixels on this new TV I stupidly bought.

Any wisdom on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
That’s is a problem people don’t realise that the bigger the screen the poorer lower quality content may look depending on the source.
Especially if you are sat to close as well as you will see the poorer resolution image even more. Which you have found out the hard way, unfortunately.
This needs to be considered if you are going to be using it for daily TV lower bitrate iptv viewing, but if you’re going to be watching a lot of 4K HDR or DV content then it will look great. Also an authorised service should look good as well with lower resolution.

Also the majority of tv channels we view are 1080p but modern TVs are upscaling the image to 4k some better than others depending on the brand.
Also the quality of the source material has to be taken into account.
But it can’t upscale it and make it look like a native 4K picture. Bitrate plays a factor as well, the higher the better the image will be upscaled and the less compression is used the better also.
What’s it like for viewing Freeview 1080p SDR content?
Are the FHD channels that look poor actually 1080p 50hz?

What brand, model and size is your tv and how far away from the screen are you?
It’s upscaling lower quality content already.
But the source material is key as to how well it will upscale the image.
The Shield only uses Ai upscaling on content below 30hz 30fps.
Great for 1080p 30fps and below content.
So will not work on sport channels at 50hz 60hz.
Which ideally you should be watching for sport.
The shield will only use the default enhance feature.
Which doesn’t work as well as the Ai upscaling and probably won’t do as good a job as decent modern TV.
The only way you are really going to know is by purchasing one.
I suppose you could buy one on Amazon and try it out and then return it with their very good returns policy.
If it doesn’t give you the results you were after.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply.

In hindsight it made so sense to get such a big tv, I didn’t want to go too small and then regret it after. I have the opposite problem now. I just had 4K viewing in mind when I bought it, which wasn’t realistic as I see now. Forgot that FHD can look subpar in general on a 4K TV, that’s discounting the bigger the worse and the IPTV quality or lack thereof.

I also was none of the wiser when it comes compression, Bitrate and other things that compromise the quality of picture. I just went on whatever was displayed regarding resolution and frame rate

Normal FHD TV, be it free tv, on platforms like Disney, Netflix and even IPTV look more than ok as far as I can see. It’s still noticeable that the tv is too big but it’s bearable.

As per Tivimate, it’s FHD and 50fps. I bought a Hisense 75 inch tv, sit about 4 meters away from the screen. I know, it was idiotic. Didn’t do my due diligence.

I’ll try ordering it from Amazon and see if it helps otherwise I’ll need to sell the tv at a loss and get a smaller one.

Appreciate you taking the time

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply.

In hindsight it made so sense to get such a big tv, I didn’t want to go too small and then regret it after. I have the opposite problem now. I just had 4K viewing in mind when I bought it, which wasn’t realistic as I see now. Forgot that FHD can look subpar in general on a 4K TV, that’s discounting the bigger the worse and the IPTV quality or lack thereof.

I also was none of the wiser when it comes compression, Bitrate and other things that compromise the quality of picture. I just went on whatever was displayed regarding resolution and frame rate

Normal FHD TV, be it free tv, on platforms like Disney, Netflix and even IPTV look more than ok as far as I can see. It’s still noticeable that the tv is too big but it’s bearable.

As per Tivimate, it’s FHD and 50fps. I bought a Hisense 75 inch tv, sit about 4 meters away from the screen. I know, it was idiotic. Didn’t do my due diligence.

I’ll try ordering it from Amazon and see if it helps otherwise I’ll need to sell the tv at a loss and get a smaller one.

Appreciate you taking the time
It’s not that 1080p content will be subpar on all 4k TV’s.
It’s dependent on panel technology, image processing and the brand of TV as some are just better at upscaling and processing images than others.
They say 1080p SDR generally looks better on an OLED TV.
They also say that Sony have the best picture processing out of all the TV manufacturers that’s why they are more expensive than LG and Samsung.
1080p is never going to look like native 4k when upscaled.
The bigger the screen the more you will notice.
Your best bet is to go in person and view the TVs in a shop and even take some SDR content on a USB stick and see if they’ll let you play it on the TVs to see how they perform.
Or see if they have some 1080p SDR content that they can display on the TVs for you to view.
The problem with TV stores is that they are always playing content on their TVs that is high 4k 8k HDR quality content and not standard Tv content that the average person is mainly viewing.
Also when buying a certain brand model, try to look at reviews and see what they say about viewing lower quality content on that particular TV but you are best to test to see for yourself if possible.

Last edited:
Back