Advice on Duo2

edd_mcn

Ok only been into this for a few weeks and after being on this site and reading all your posts, I'm ready to go mental and splash out the big bucks for the rolls Royce of boxes, the VU+ Duo2.

What I've been looking at is this:

VU+ Duo 2 (1x Twin Tuner Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 Tuner) with 2nd tuner slot having the Advanced Dual / Twin DVB-S/S2 Satellite Tuner

Now does this mean that I will have 2 Cable feeds and 2 Satellite feeds giving me 4 channels where I could potentially watch one whilst recording on another 3 different ones?

Also, might seem like another daft question but the VM cable coming into the house, can I just add a splitter to that to give me a second feed?

Thanks

Yes, you have four tuners you can use, as for the VM feed, yes you can use a splitter thats for cable, I tried one feed into my box and used the RF out loop from tuner 1 into the RF in on tuner 2 for cable and it worked fine, so one feed will do but I had already bought a 3 way splitter kit.

---------- Post Merged at 09:18 PM ----------

Also when you split a VM signal will affect your signal levels so I try to keep the splitters at a minimum

yes i read it that way also,cant find an image of twin sat and twin cable tuner,only sat lol.
yes add a splitter for cable .
get a big internal hdd for recording lol

Lol I think I'm going to need one although I've got a 500gb HDD from an old PC I was just going to use. This box seems to be the dogs, just hope the missus doesn't find out how much its costing!

Do you know if the EPG is user friendly? I.E. she aint very technical so if its not just a simple button and then being presented with the channel list with whats on (similar to sky EPG etc) then she might be struggling?

epg is great, when setup with picons on both epg and the lcd its only the autotimer(series link) that is slightly not as good as sky but the rest imo is better

be careful where you buy as plenty people flogging clones as genuine, WOS only sell genuine kit

im running triple sat tuner as no cable here :( software version openvix build 3.2-005 with night vix skin and mk picons, 500gb harddrive and epg goes on a usb

Last edited:
epg is great, when setup with picons on both epg and the lcd its only the autotimer(series link) that is slightly not as good as sky but the rest imo is better

be careful where you buy as plenty people flogging clones as genuine, WOS only sell genuine kit

im running triple sat tuner as no cable here :( software version openvix build 3.2-005 with night vix skin and mk picons, 500gb harddrive and epg goes on a usb

Yeah that's where I was looking as don't want to gamble with that kind of cash. Openvix seems to be the software of choice for most by the looks of it so going for that as well. Ive been looking at bees guide for setting it up, is it that simple or am I in for a world of pain when the time comes?

Yeah that's where I was looking as don't want to gamble with that kind of cash. Openvix seems to be the software of choice for most by the looks of it so going for that as well. Ive been looking at bees guide for setting it up, is it that simple or am I in for a world of pain when the time comes?

I find it pretty easy but been messing one n off for years, depends what experience you have, whats current box if any ?

but loads of support on openvix forum which is part of WOS

id say to setup from scratch prob an hour n half, once your used to it 30 mins

I find it pretty easy but been messing one n off for years, depends what experience you have, whats current box if any ?

but loads of support on openvix forum which is part of WOS

id say to setup from scratch prob an hour n half, once your used to it 30 mins

Got no experience at all, only bought an openbox V8s the other week for the bedroom but that was a breeze to set up compared to this by the looks of it. Since that went well Im looking at using this as my main box instead of VM and since I have sky cables as well, I thought why not have both? lol!

---------- Post Merged at 10:12 PM ----------

I put a 3.5 HDD in my ET10000, too noisy, replaced with a 2.5 WD, much better

Another daft question, does this box use a SATA interface for the Hard drive or is it the older type?

You must use a 2.5" HDD. I tried a few 3.5" units that I had in stock on my setup and far too loud.

I got a Toshiba 2.5 " 1tb that has silent seek. And you cannot hear it at all.

if you go 2.5" you do not need to buy an adaptor as the 2.5" unit sits and screws to the centre of the plate supplied within the VU box.
make sure you also use the supplied grommits as it acts like a damper.

Last edited:
yep echo what skim said, sell any 3.5" drives you have and get a 2.5"

I have a 2.5" drive ready to go. Does the box come with the screws and casing or will I need to supply my own from elsewhere? I've literally just got the drive without any screws etc to secure it inside

Cheers, Went for a 1TB drive built in from WOS in the end. Hopefully the box is coming tomorrow. Might not sleep tonight!

I know Ive already asked but Im a bit concerned about the 1x Twin Tuner Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 Tuner that's coming with it, Does this mean that its taking one cable feed and then the tuner is splitting it into the 2 or would it be 2 separate inputs on the one tuner? The reason Im asking is the only tuner cards Ive seen all have 1 RF input and 1 RF output. Can anybody shed any light?

until you get the box we dont know might be 1 tuner with internal splitter.box might be the updated model.

Ok guys got the box up and running and its a belter! Having a few teething problems though (as expected). I haven't activated the cable side of the box because Im still waiting on the cable adaptor coming so thatll keep for another day!

Can anyone help with the mgcamd? Basically after setting it up, it doesn't seem to autostart when I boot the box up even though Ive got it ticked to do that leaving me having to go in and manually start it up before my pay channels work. I downloaded the mgcamd-1.38c from another post on this site.

In softcams press the green to place a tick in the box, then press blue to enable startup.
will start automatically then.

In softcams press the green to place a tick in the box, then press blue to enable startup.
will start automatically then.

Its already set up for that, green tick and blue button for enabled startup. It seems to be a bit weird just now, some channels are now starting up ok like sky sports 1 and 2 but some channels like sky sports 3 aren't, plus it seems to have a thin white border around the edges of the screen when I restart the box. strange!

Back