Are you ready for IPv6 connectivity?

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably not? but don't worry just yet, most providers are not set yet to provide access to residential users.

Towards the end of 2011 websites will begin moving from the IPv4 protocol to the new IPv6 one & users who's providers have not got their act together will be unable to reach these websites.

Test your IPv6 Readiness:

-

7/10 for IPv4

0/10 for IPv6 :(

Not looking good yet on UPC for me

About your IPv4-only internet service.

This FAQ has been produced to try and address the questions of IPv4 only users
More about your test results.
It looks like you have only IPv4 internet service at this time. Don't feel bad - most people are in this position right now. Most internet service providers are not quite yet ready to provide IPv6 internet to residential customers.
The good news is, nothing will suddenly break. When web sites offer their content on both IPv4 and IPv6, you'll still reach them using your existing IPv4 internet service.
You also appear to have Teredo enabled. You did successfully connect to an IPv6 site during this test - but only when forcing the connection by connecting to an IPv6 numeric address, instead of a web site name. This setting will not help or hurt you going forward to reach IPv6 web sites.
Teredo (a tunneling protocol for Windows computers) advice will be posted hopefully soon.
Don't stress too much on having an IPv6 address in 2011. If you do buy a new router, make sure that it will be IPv6 ready (or upgradable) when your service provider does offer IPv6.

We're all in the same boat at the minute axxxo & that's why I said not to worry just yet in my OP (y)

I do hope though that all the providers have a plan? & get their act together.

I suppose it would be no harm for end users to ask the question of their respective providers, either, via their forums or by email? just to let them know that users are not stupid and are aware of the upcoming changes.

-

I'm the same on UPC lol

7/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4

0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

World IPv6 day is June 8th, 2011. No problems are anticipated for you with this browser, at this location. [more info]
Congratulations! You appear to have both IPv4 and IPv6 internet working. If a publisher publishes to IPv6, your browser will connect using IPv6. Note: Your browser appears to prefer IPv4 over IPv6 when given the choice. This may in the future affect the accuracy of sites who guess at your location.

You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly ran by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]
7/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
7/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only
this is what i got

Ah! Linny, you are the "Special One" lol

What type of router do you have?

It might be the reason you are getting that response?

-

a belkin N+ so is that good or bad lol! * remember this is way over my head lol so got no idea what it all means*

It means that you can be expecting contact from extra terrestrials in the near future Linny lol

Be very careful now! :leaving:

-

Back