Audio issue during playback

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a TV series in AVI format which has two audio tracks, German and English (German is the default audio). I need to be able to play these files in Windows Media Player 11.

The problem:

When played in WMP11 the audio is German with the English also coming through resulting in a muffled audio which is predominantly German. :faint:

If I play these files using VLC player, there is an audio option on the top bar that lets me change the audio from German to English and everything plays just fine but that's no good to me in this situation.

I can't seem to get them to play with English audio only in WMP11 no matter what I try & I don't seem to be able to source these files anywhere else.

Does anyone know if this can be solved and how to sort it :bang head:

-

I feel silly asking you this but just want to be sure before we go any deeper, have you tried changing the default audio for playback?
16k3no4.jpg

From default to English?
2u8z4gm.jpg

I did indeed Ferg but it didn't fix the issue.

I assume that setting only relates to playback of DVD disc's only? and not AVI or other digital files?

God damn WMP11 for being so unhelpful but unfortunately it has to WMP11 for this little project.

Why can't they just have the choice like VLC? Oh! I know? because it's Microsoft (sill me) lol

Thanks for the response buddy (y)

Gman, do you have the program MediaInfo? If so can you run it on your file to see if you indeed have 2 audio streams or if it is only 1. If it is 2 then it can usually be easily remedied, if it is just 1, well then...........uh oh.

Are you familiar with either of these programs: VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod?

I don't have any AVI files that have more than 1 audio source so I gonna have to go with what I believe, so I think the best bet is to download VirtualDub which is available from SourceForge here:VirtualDub download (at SourceForge) - virtualdub.org
Once installed go to Open and select your video file. Once it has loaded click on Video in the menu bar and be sure that Direct Stream Copy is ticked now do the same for Audio as well. No going back to the Audio selection you should be able to look down and see the choice for Source Audio with your 2 audio streams out to the side. Hopefully you can untick the one that you don't want to keep. Now you can go back over to File and Save as AVI. If that doesn't work for you let me know and we can try something different.

One other note that I failed to mention, you will have to have an external codec for Xvid installed. As you know VLC and some others use DirectShow for playing avi files but that will not work when trying to encode. The Xvid codec is available by itself here: Xvid.org: Home of the Xvid Codec if you don't already have a package of them installed. Good luck buddy.

One other note that I failed to mention, you will have to have an external codec for Xvid installed. As you know VLC and some others use DirectShow for playing avi files but that will not work when trying to encode. The Xvid codec is available by itself here: Xvid.org: Home of the Xvid Codec if you don't already have a package of them installed. Good luck buddy.

That was a very important extra piece of Info ferg lol

-

I'm delighted to report that your information has sorted my problem ferg & everything is now working as I wanted (y)

It's a pleasure when someone with the correct knowledge responds to a request for help, it saves so much pain for the individual with the issue.

I'm more used to providing assistance than receiving it, so it was a pleasant change to be helped when I needed it.

Thanks for the assistance ferg, it was really appreciated (y)

-

Back