Backup Reflash (Solved)

SP0NGER0B

OK, so after the fourth time I reinstalled I took a full backup..

Rootfs.bin, imageversion, kernal.bin and noforce were created and stored here

ftp://root@MyLocalIPaddress/media/hdd/fullbackup_zgemmas2s/20181102_1650/zgemma/sh1/

So I FTP'd into the box and copied these out to my PC.

Upon attempting to restore this image I basically Formatted my original (and previously working for flashing purposes) USB stick to FAT32, slow format. Then expanded the openatv-6.2-zgemmas2s-20181102_usb.zip image file onto it. Finally I overwrote the stock files with my own backed up files and changed noforce to force.

I insert the USB, it says BOOT, then jumps straight to FLSH and seems to hang there.

It's been sitting there since 15:57pm, obviously it isn't doing anything useful.

Help and suggestions please Kings!

Last edited:
Im not sure what you are trying to do here, backups once created are listed in date order in location hdd/fullbackupZgemma, if you are wanting to move this backup to another box or reload it back to the box you dont need to use a usb (providing you have a box that boots ok), you can simply use the remote to navigate to the backup & flash it back on the box or FTP the dated backup folder to the same location on the other box (you may need to make a backup on the other box 1st to create the directory), once the backup is on the other box navigate to it & flash the box that way.

Last edited:
OK, so I pulled my flashing USB out of the rear and turned the box off.. nothing was happening.

Back to a quick format of my USB and expanded the openatv-6.2-zgemmas2s-20181102_usb.zip image file onto it again.

Inserted again and powered on, reflashing basic ATV again onto my 2S. FLSH changed to BOOT and I pulled out my USB from the back.

This time when I got into the ATV menu I choose System and then 'Online flash' and pressed 'Blue' for LOCAL. It complained that there was insufficient space available (as the USB had not been reinserted at this point) so I then copied my backup files from the computer onto the root of my USB and inserted it into the front of my box.

To my surprise it found the USB and allowed me to select the root file Rootfs.bin and preceded to restore my complete backup from yesterday!

Yay, Success!!!

just for your info you went a long way round to get where you wanted, a working box does not need to be usb flashed so save yourself the time messing with usb's & flash from the box via the remote only instead of locating the usb to flash locate the hdd/backup & flash directly from there, same result as you did just a lot quicker.

USB flashing is only required when a box is dead/stuck on boot count process & wont boot up fully or has a red light & wont boot up at all.

Yes, I understand now. However this box was a working box but the one I am going to reflash is the one from my other thread so I needed to prepare a one for all USB stick which will recover and reflash back to the image I had saved yesterday which this method now does.

Also I couldn't find very much documentation regarding restoring a backup other than just "reflash it the way you originally flashed it" so by writing this whole post I hope to help somebody else out who happens to be in the same predicament that I was in.

as a tip If you have 2 boxes that are the same model: setup one box then make a fullbackup...remove the usb/hdd & place in the 2nd box...bootup & navigate as before....flash online-local & flash your 2nd box with your 1st boxes backup. One thing to consider is that your fullbackup will contain your sub details etc so this method is best used for setting up a multiroom sub as its quick & simple taking only 5 mins to flash from a backup.

Back