bm5000s or octagon sf8?

ruud82

Bearing in mind i'm not great with tech and not looking for super duper features, which should i go for?

I've set up a bm5000's already and would say i found it slightly difficult. I had bees guide for it. How easy would it be to set up an sf8? Is there a start to finish straightforward guide?

Also whats the advantages disadvantages of these boxes. I realise blade is closed source. Is this really an issue? Are they likely to stop updating it in the next year or two? And is it even a big issue if they do?

open sourced is better as much more support,sf8 would be the same setup as a vu receiver solo/solo2/duo and could do many more things.

open sourced is better as much more support,sf8 would be the same setup as a vu receiver solo/solo2/duo and could do many more things.

Thanks. Can you explain what you mean by more support.

Say i set up a bm5000s and im getting my channels and happy with that is it likely to just stop working one day and it csnt be fixed? I'm not looking for anything too fancy really, i just want to know that the channels will work lol.

Also is an sf8 easy to set up. Is there a guide?

octagon sf8 is by far the better sat box. as it is a full linux setup you will have loads of support where as blade box is closed source and the only people you can reley on is the people who make the box.

Last edited:
more support means box can take many different images from different providers like vix,blackhole,etc.with blade closed source only blade do image or fixes.

Thank you both. So would you both say then that blade are likely to stop supporting this box in the next year?

I'm conscious that the blade is about 50 quid cheaper, has a great hd picture so i'm just really concerned about whether it will wotk for a year or so.

Also how does the sf8 compare in terms of set up difficulty. Could i have it set up in say..an hour like the blade with a step by step guide?

Thanks

---------- Post Merged at 09:16 AM ----------

Oh yeah..And if there's a step by step walkthrough guide where can i find it? I've had a look but nothing really complete shows up.

no we are not saying blade will stop support. you are just releying on them to support the box like update firmware etc. where as linux boxes it is done by thirs party developers.

So its likely then that blade will be okay for a year at least and that the box will work for that time?

Thanks

---------- Post Merged at 10:41 AM ----------

And out of interest what features does sf8 have over blade?

I'm still swaying towards blade mainly due to price and ease of setup. I still cant see a straightforward start to finish type guide to help me with sf8. I dont know what ftp is either. I feel like itll take weeks of research :( i need it set up by sunday though for wrestlemania for the kids

im having problems setting up the epg guide on the blade 5000 ,does anyone have simple instructions I could follow

chees

the blade box will more than likley be around as long as any other sat box. the sf8 will have quite a few more features than the blade box however, most people buy these boxes for the 7 day epg.

1 bbc iplayer/itv player
2. ts media stream thousands of films stright to your sat box
3 the sf8 will just automaticly update channel lists and 7 day epg (not sure about blade)
4. you can stream your box like sky go to any portable device (good upload and download speeeds required. not working well in hd)
there are probaly loads more but these are the basics

the blade box will more than likley be around as long as any other sat box. the sf8 will have quite a few more features than the blade box however, most people buy these boxes for the 7 day epg.

1 bbc iplayer/itv player
2. ts media stream thousands of films stright to your sat box
3 the sf8 will just automaticly update channel lists and 7 day epg (not sure about blade)
4. you can stream your box like sky go to any portable device (good upload and download speeeds required. not working well in hd)
there are probaly loads more but these are the basics

Thank you mike. That's very helpful.

Tbh the 7day epg isnt a huge concern. I really only watch football, boxibg and sport live and tend to know when its on. Obviously a slicker set up is always good though.

The channel auto update sounds good. But can i ask why this is needed? Is this just for when sky add a new channel it saves me needing to scan?

The sky go feature also sounds nice but i presume i would need to leave a lot of stuff powered on at home throughout the day?

I am being more tempted. Do WOS usually deliver next day to mainland areas?

sky move the frequicies of the channels all the time so it is a good idea to set a automatic scan evreyday. wos will get it to you the next day if you order before a certain time. if 7 day epg is not a huge cocern and you just want a basic sat box a f5s will do. buy from tk shop

sky move the frequicies of the channels all the time so it is a good idea to set a automatic scan evreyday. wos will get it to you the next day if you order before a certain time. if 7 day epg is not a huge cocern and you just want a basic sat box a f5s will do. buy from tk shop

Ah okay. That makes sense.

I had a look but i don't think there's any way to get an f5 by tomorrow?

With the sf8, would you recommend taking the vix option? And would you go for a hard drive fitted for 50quid?

it is just a usb hardrive for the octagon as far as i know. vix is the best image. if you ont do a lot of recording ir is not worth it just gat a usb stick for 7 day epg

it is just a usb hardrive for the octagon as far as i know. vix is the best image. if you ont do a lot of recording ir is not worth it just gat a usb stick for 7 day epg

So i can just buy a usb stick anyway to record? I dont record much, we record some soaps and the wrestling. Pretty much it. A smallish usb ok for this?

The blade is OK but certainly has some faults currently but hopefully these will be sorted out with some firmware updates. It was my first box and I bought when I'd cancelled my sly contract but if I knew then what I do now I'd have gone for the octagon or maybe even pushed the boat out and got the VU+ duo

if people are going to record get a twin tuner box as its the best option,as single tuners recording other channel will leave you with a blank screen,7 day epg is very important to know whats on as now and next sucks.

I only record when i'm not watching though. I don't find myself watching tv and recording something else. Twin tuners are over 250 also. Sky just offered me the full package for 19per month.

Back