British bulldog

userlee5267

TK Veteran
Hello all

We have been thinking of adopting British bulldogs.

We would be taking on dogs that have been mistreated.

We don't keep them forever just until they find them a new home.

We have a beagle at the minute he's only two and we are not sure what he would be like.

He's good with other dogs. But never had one living with him.

A lady we know does it and we think it would be a good thing to do

Maybe try inviting someone to bring their dog to your house for a couple of hours, see how your dog settles with him in the house and take it from there?

We looked after a relatives dog for a week once, my dog never settled all week so never offered to have anyone's dog since.

Crate training will save you a lot of ballache if this is what you are planning. How much time a day can you spend with them? We have had many rescue SBT's and EBT's and they are best if they have a space of their own (ie crate) for when they need to have their time.

Crate training will save you a lot of ballache if this is what you are planning. How much time a day can you spend with them? We have had many rescue SBT's and EBT's and they are best if they have a space of their own (ie crate) for when they need to have their time.
Between us were there alot. Our beagle gets left for around 4 hours twice a week that's it..

So somones here alot.

The beagle was hard to train and caused lots of tears ha 🤣.

He's not perfect but he's good at most things 😂

Well I’d still recommend crate training, as when you are rescuing dogs, you generally don’t know their full history and when other dogs are about, they do like to have their own space, just like people do.
Feeding time in them stops any arguments and bedtime in them gives them their peace where they can sleep undisturbed. There are loads of other advantages for you and for the dogs. Have a look into it, would be my advice.

Ideally you would need your dog to be calm and relaxed maybe on its lead or long line same with the rescued dog and have a barrier between them both preferably where they can see and sniff each other out so they can get each others scent and try giving them treats near or next to each other.
Slowly introduce them to each other and see how they would get on then bring them into the same room together on there leads or even your back garden.
Feed them separately and make sure don't go for each others food as that could cause unwanted behaviours and just keep doing it like that for so long ideally your beagle needs to be with the person who it feels is its go to person or who it responds too instantly
Well I’d still recommend crate training, as when you are rescuing dogs, you generally don’t know their full history and when other dogs are about, they do like to have their own space, just like people do.
Feeding time in them stops any arguments and bedtime in them gives them their peace where they can sleep undisturbed. There are loads of other advantages for you and for the dogs. Have a look into it, would be my advice.
Absolutely crate training is the best way to go all my dogs we've owned has always been crate trained people think it's wrong but most dog trainers recommend them and crates are ideal for when a dog is showing unwanted behaviour and trying to be dominant

Back