cable line gone.

For years now I've had cable coming into my drum and been able to run different boxes with vm. Now as I have never subscribed, they have stopped sending the signal to my H2h box. Can I put up a new satellite dish and use the same H2h box through the sat tuner and would it be worth doing. If .
yes would I have to get a different line or could I use the one I've been using for cable.
Thanks for any advice. Hopefully I've posted this in the right place.

what makes you think the signal has been stopped by VM?
The cable as long as it is connected carries the signal by default, its rare that the cable gets disconnected regardless of how long its been since you were a customer of theirs.

hook your H2H back up, run a scan as normal then check to see IF BBC1 in SD will clear, (only SD no-sub channels are FTA with Cable so no FTA in HD) this will tell you IF your incoming feed is active/connected. IF you receive SD FTA channels but none of your subcription channels then contact your subscription provider to see IF the server is having issues?

Last edited:
I've never been a customer. Years ago the cable was piped by the council, not took it on and had to keep suppling the line but vm took over 5 years or so and from then you should have started paying. I spoke to an engineer working on a box and he said if you are not subscribed they will stop the signal. I asked if he would put it back on but no luck there. But as I say I've never been a customer.

Also ,I put a small tv on and had no signal on that either.

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot of people think you must be a VM customer to use their feed/connection but this is not the case, you can use any internet provider to decript VM channels as long as the VM cable is physically connected to both your box cable tuner & the distribution point (green box in the street).

The only time I have seen a cable feed disconnected from the DP box has been in busy areas where the engineers needs to free up a tap on the board to install a new customer, he will locate a dead feed/old customer & disconect it.

Last edited:
You wont get a signal through a tv like you do from a terrestrial aerial on your roof the signal frequencies are no longer the same etc as years ago all you can do to check is what @BeakyFord as already mentioned scan your box to see if you can get the fta channels in standard definition ie bbc1 bbc2 itv etc if the box clears these channels then the incoming cable line is still conntected in the cabinet and if you cant get these channels then you would have been very unluckily disconnected but this is very rare nowadays ok :(y):

Spoke to engineer today who said to me that if you are not a customer they will stop the signal going to your house. He said something about fta boxes connected to their line disrupt something or another and they will cut you off if your not subscribed. As I have never subscribed, cut off. Probably to stop using boxes as H2h.

If it has been disconnected then all you can do is take out the cheapest broadband deal vm do and then cancel within the cooling off period and hope and pray it stays connected in the cabinet but check your box first to scan just incase he was trying to put you off if you mentioned you use cs box etc :(y):

It's strange that I've been running one build or another for a few years now and then last Thursday night ,just before I was going away , the tv had the av build and no channels would show including the free 5

it may be your subscription thats stopped rather than your feed being disconnected, can you give a little more info as to how you received your viewing.
(no code details, just the method you used such as a vm cable subscription)

I've now loaded the new Grogbuild freerange and now gone through the steps from begining for setting up, and when I try to scan ABM, it says failed to tune V. UK on tuner B. Please check the tuner is correctly configured, which is the same as always. and you can receive the specified frequency. That I dont know.

have you setup tuner B correctly in tuner config & have you entered correct net ID within ABM providers before scanning? (I am assuming you have a cable subscription...IF not.. set VM to FTA then scan)

it may be your subscription thats stopped rather than your feed being disconnected, can you give a little more info as to how you received your viewing.
(no code details, just the method you used such as a vm cable subscription)
Never ever paid subsription, where I live, this town had cable supplied to every council house. When you bought that house, £80 was paid to the council as a one off payment to cover the cost of piping the tv. It was then replaced with digital cable again piped to every house. When freeview came out you still got the signal both terrestrial and digital. Years later you only had the digital signal but needed the vm box to decode it. I've always had that signal until Thursday. But as I say I have not paid ever.

Never ever paid subsription, where I live, this town had cable supplied to every council house. When you bought that house, £80 was paid to the council as a one off payment to cover the cost of piping the tv. It was then replaced with digital cable again piped to every house. When freeview came out you still got the signal both terrestrial and digital. Years later you only had the digital signal but needed the vm box to decode it. I've always had that signal until Thursday. But as I say I have not paid ever.
Have you entered the netid for your town in the box after flashing?

hook your H2H up to the cable feed (will need an adapter), then via the remote goto: menu/setup/service searching/tuner congifuration..select tuner B
be sure to have the correct details entered:
config mode - enabled
Network ID - 42653 (sample ID, set to your ID)
region - Virmin Media UK (pure)

then setup ABM: menu/setup/service searching/AutoBouquetsMaker/Providers...
set Virmin to - yes
Virmin area - 40968 Preston 2 (sample area, set to your area)
Virmin FTA only - yes

then start scan.... IF you entered the correct area details etc you should receive FTA channels, if you get you get a tuner B error then the feed may have been disconnected.

(dont think DNS settings matter for FTA as I've never tested FTA only)

Last edited:
hook your H2H up to the cable feed (will need an adapter), then via the remote goto: menu/setup/service searching/tuner congifuration..select tuner B
be sure to have the correct details entered:
config mode - enabled
Network ID - 42653 (sample ID, set to your ID)
region - Virmin Media UK (pure)

then setup ABM: menu/setup/service searching/AutoBouquetsMaker/Providers...
set Virmin to - yes
Virmin area - 40968 Preston 2 (sample area, set to your area)
Virmin FTA only - yes

then start scan.... IF you entered the correct area details etc you should receive FTA channels, if you get you get a tuner B error then the feed may have been disconnected.

(dont think DNS settings matter for FTA as I've never tested FTA only)
Yes , Just tried all that and again " Failed to tune V UK on tuner B".
Now back to original question, would it be worth setting up for satellite? I've got an old one outside that we used years ago but started to loose the signal on the sly box. Could put new dish up and try tuner A.??

there is a list of available Sly SD channels somewhere on the forum so it depends on what you want to watch but yes it can be done to gain FTA or remaining subscription channels.

Last edited:
For a rough idea of what is still available on sat, All HD has gone, movies have gone and sky sports have gone, Bt still works for now.

You will need a sat subscription unless your provider supplies both then he might let you swap over for free.

I would move to the cheapest VM broadband only package, that will get you sorted on cable, or go the IPTV route, your box can run that too.

For a rough idea of what is still available on sat, All HD has gone, movies have gone and sky sports have gone, Bt still works for now.

You will need a sat subscription unless your provider supplies both then he might let you swap over for free.

I would move to the cheapest VM broadband only package, that will get you sorted on cable, or go the IPTV route, your box can run that too.
Just ordered basic tv package and hopefully with a splitter be able to run the H2h for sport and whatever else it gives you. Im tied in with broadband at the moment.

Abu posted this on another thread as worth a shot to see if any channels come in on scan ?

Forget AutoBouquetsMaker for the time being. Do the following for now.
Make sure the power switch is still off.
Set your tuner configuration for both the Cable tuners to the following:
Network ID: 00000
Region: Virgin media UK (all systems)

Go into manual scan
Select a cable tuner
Type of scan : complete
Network scan : yes
Then scan.

Back