Can i use my wii as a media player

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Hi guys just wondering if i can use the Wii as a media player like i can the ps3 and xbox. I tried plugging my HDD with films into the USB but as its not formatted to wbfs it does not seem to recognise it.

have a at look this vid see if it helps [video=youtube;Xj-wjz1LeXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj-wjz1LeXs[/video]

What's the story with the 500 extra points you need for the Wii? (from the wii shop)

Do they have to be purchased?, how long do they last and do you have to keep topping them up?

Nice one bobby123,Linny i would say you would be limited to what can be played,i would say mkv files would be out,you would probably have to convert the files you have to work for the streaming to the wii

Nice one bobby123,Linny i would say you would be limited to what can be played,i would say mkv files would be out,you would probably have to convert the files you have to work for the streaming to the wii

The video mentions that you must set the output to flash in the Orb software and everything is displayed on the wii's browser on your TV, does that mean it (Orb) actually converts on the fly?

From what i saw on the video Gman it looked like wmv also real media,didnt catch the last 2,the dvdx feature that used to be included when you installed homebrew has been discontinued due to being a buggy b**ch,that said netflix is able to stream to the wii,with so many media players available for little dosh i would stick with them rather than putting this on and eating up memory blocks on the wii

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

What's the story with the 500 extra points you need for the Wii? (from the wii shop)

Do they have to be purchased?, how long do they last and do you have to keep topping them up?
I think i have around 3000 points and they dont seem to expire,you can buy them or if you have some of those scratch cards from games or official nintendo accesories they can be used for wii points,if you want some Gman your welcome to em

Appreciate that sinno but I do all my streaming through the Xbox and have never had any issues with it.

I don't know much about the Wii other than the daughter has one here so I was just being curious.

I'm not sure I like that setup with the wii to be honest.

thanks guys ill take a look at that vid in the week.!

@Sinno all my files now are avi - after learning from you guys if its mkv then i dont bother - or if i dld by mistake just look for avi or xvid/divx
i tried it on our wii coz my son wanted to take the HDD to his girls house and see if he could play it on her wii ( that she never did get a hd for to convert it) assumed ( like i do) that if you could watch films on the xbox and ps3 that you could do same on wii
When things are back to normal next week i will give that vid a good look and see what its about and keep you posted
Thanks x

Appreciate that sinno but I do all my streaming through the Xbox and have never had any issues with it.

I don't know much about the Wii other than the daughter has one here so I was just being curious.

I'm not sure I like that setup with the wii to be honest.
The xbox and ps3 are different animals to the wii,the new wiiu will be a better piece of kit,also xbox live is to be integrated into windows 8,for all my media i use this streaming from the comp to 2 of these
it has played everything

watched the video but doesnt answer my question dont want to stream from pc as films not on the pc - all on external hard drive. want to play films via a usb port from hard drive to wii. Plus the person who has the wii does not have wireless so dont think she has the internet channel etc.
Searched google and found answers on yahoo to say that its not possible basically unless wii is hacked - its not :(
the sub ports are only for charging and keyboards etc -
The 2 USB ports are made speciafically for keyboards and Wii Remote chargers. I'm afraid there's not much else they can do.

Also, the USB ports were used for Wi-Fi USB sticks, but that has been discontinued untill further notice.

Last edited:
You can add a 2.5 inch hdd to the device i showed Linny and there is usb ports on it also for external loading of movies,you will have no limitations to what file you want to play on it

Back