Difference between avi files and mkv files

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Have put some files on my harddrive to use with bluray player but some files are avi which work and some are mkv ( or which ever way round it should be) so on my pc both files work. But what i want to know is can i convert these files from
Mkv to avi so that i can play them on my bluray player or would i need to redownload them in avi format

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Cheers bobby will check that out 2mora when im back on pc. At least ive left hubby a few films he can watch tonight whilst im working. Just also grateful that the bluray had a usb port so we can watch other films :) my other dvd players dont have usb port.
Oh another thing cant seem to get the hard drive to work on the xbox or ps3 when i plug it into the usb its not recognised - any reason as the xbox recongises a usb pen drive???
Ps HD is 1 tb if that makes a difference

If the hard drive is 1TB its probably not formatted to FAT32 like the pen drive would be.

Format the drive to fat32, then create a folder called "PS3" then just create a folder inside the PS3 folder and name it "MOVIES".

You should be good to go then Linny ;)

Just be aware of the disadvantage of formatting to FAT32 Linny.

The Maximum single file size on a FAT32 drive is 4,294,967,295 bytes.

Just another thing, if your movies don't show up, you could try pressing triangle on "Video" and then select display all, and all your files should be there. Considering what Gman said, if most of your blurays are above 4.2GB then you will run into problems transferring the file over to your FAT32 hard drive.

When i formatted the drive i think it said exfat rather than fat32 cheers dan ill try that also 2 mora. Just come in from work & watching unstopable which i think is a big file coz its bluray ive got 2 copies on there & i know 1 is 6 gb

Added after 2 minutes:

Hd was i think ntfs but formated it for it to work on bluray player

Last edited:
Linny if your downloading these bluray flicks then what you should do is watch out for bluray rips that have DivX written after them, these are top quality rips in DivX format which would be a quarter the size of an actual bluray rip. Waste of bandwith if you ask me when the divx are just as good.

I just do what axxxo said, I just download the divx version with ac3 audio of the blu-ray rip, they are usually under 4 Gb/s and look pretty close to blu-ray quality.

You can also look for "AVHCD" (think that's what it called) you can burn this file to a dvd and watch it on your PS3 the quality is really good, I downloaded "Salt" and "Unstoppable" in AVHCD, loolks much better that a regular dvd.

Thanks guys tbh im not bothered if they are BR or not but most downloads seem to in that format. If i get say a 500 or 320 or even smaller hd wuld that work better on fat32. The place i get downloads from has various diff formats but films are in order of upload rather than say alpha or type so sounds like i need to look for certain formats- not to good at this but so far what ive got works on pc but today decided to add them to hd as br player has a usb port

Watching unstoppable now good film !

The size of the hard drive won't make any difference Linny, just stick with your 1TB hard drive.

I watched "unstoppable" last weekend and I thought it was pretty good, some parts a litle hookey, But that's hollllywood for ya LOL

I'll agree that simply using DivX or Xvid with AC3 audio should be good quality at a smaller output size.

ok just downloaded that prog that bobby recommended and going to try and see if i can convert from mkv to avi. Also bought another HD 500gb and could only format it from NTFS to exFAT which is what i did with the other one. Going to use this one with the ps3 file - basically we now got all films on 2 HD's so we can watch on BR and they can watch on PS3. will also check to see if it will work on xbox

tried as suggested by making a folder called ps3, then movies in that but when loaded to to ps3 and clicked on video and pressed triangle nothing happened :( not tried the avi files on the xbox yet.
Also seme to be having trouble converting with that mediacoder keeps coming up with error codes.
So have now gone to look for films in those other formats.
Shame some are such bad quality :(

FYI Linny. The first time you play avi files on the Xbox it will require a codec update. It will notify you about this and you should accept the update (y)

-

tried as suggested by making a folder called ps3, then movies in that but when loaded to to ps3 and clicked on video and pressed triangle nothing happened :( not tried the avi files on the xbox yet.
Also seme to be having trouble converting with that mediacoder keeps coming up with error codes.
So have now gone to look for films in those other formats.
Shame some are such bad quality :(

"You can also browse the entire drive or disc by pressing triangle and choosing "Display All" to find videos that aren't in the VIDEO folder"

Did you select display all on the video folder after pressing triangle on it?

Did you select display all on the video folder after pressing triangle on it?

didnt have the choice to display all, when pressed triangle when it was on video nothing happened :( under video i get BD data utility search for media servers video editor love film ps store or users pc
so lets make sure im doing this right! logged in clicked on video and pressed triangle ( obviously once HD is connected to ps3) sorry as i dont use the consoles have no idea just guessing at what i should be doing. also when connected to xbox again assume i need to go to video then usb device

Back