Difference between avi files and mkv files

Sinno hi, not sure what firmware it is but what ever is new. IVe never dabbled with the ps3 so its genuine.
Thanks Sinno ill look for that prog as the swissknife does not work on W7. Once i can get a hardrive formatted to Fat32 we can try it on the xbox and ps3. A pen drive works find but only having an 8gb one its like 1 or 2 films at a time.

I gave up with any mkv files and now look for avi or divx/xvid files.

We have also learnt that the titles we are looking for have far better quality uploads once they are available to buy. New releases in cinemas are usually crud copies, and when you trying to watch them via a hard drive via usb on a panasonic bluray player on a 1080p tv the picture quality can be rough as F

Sinno hi, not sure what firmware it is but what ever is new. IVe never dabbled with the ps3 so its genuine.
Thanks Sinno ill look for that prog as the swissknife does not work on W7. Once i can get a hardrive formatted to Fat32 we can try it on the xbox and ps3. A pen drive works find but only having an 8gb one its like 1 or 2 films at a time.

I gave up with any mkv files and now look for avi or divx/xvid files.

We have also learnt that the titles we are looking for have far better quality uploads once they are available to buy. New releases in cinemas are usually crud copies, and when you trying to watch them via a hard drive via usb on a panasonic bluray player on a 1080p tv the picture quality can be rough as F

Bare in mind the following when looking for downloads, it will say in the release name as to what rip type it is, to keep it simple:

Bad: CAM Rip/Telesync.
Good: R5 Line/DVDRip/DVDScreener/BDRip/BluRay [720p/1080p]

Just be aware of the disadvantage of formatting to FAT32 Linny.

The Maximum single file size on a FAT32 drive is 4,294,967,295 bytes.

Just another thing, if your movies don't show up, you could try pressing triangle on "Video" and then select display all, and all your files should be there. Considering what Gman said, if most of your blurays are above 4.2GB then you will run into problems transferring the file over to your FAT32 hard drive.

FYI Linny. The first time you play avi files on the Xbox it will require a codec update. It will notify you about this and you should accept the update (y)

-

Linny easus partition master will format any drive to fat32,what firmware are you on on this ps3,for stand alone blueray players RichDevx has a decrypter for these which will allow region unlocking,how far along this is i'm not sure but will look into it,as for converting mkv to avi,i never had any look with that either the sound was off or the video was in slow motion

YAY!!!! found and used Easus made HD FAT32 and put a couple of films on. WHOOHOO!!! yup we can now watch on both PS3 and Xbox. Didnt need to do anything
Only problem was 1 films was in 2 parts - green hornet and 1 of the parts was to big :( so would not fit on the HD as gman said if its more than 4,294,967,295 bytes it wont fit. Never mind!
I have got a lot further than i was a few weeks ago

So now know What type of files to look for,what size, have formatted a 500gb HD to FAT32 so can now watch films on any tv that has bluray xbox or PS3 attached!!
Only downfall is that now the boys can watch in their room and not with us ( family tv viewing out the window again lol)
I have also got a 1tb HD which i can format to FAT32 so files can be put on both - they can have and watch different ones to us!

IM SOOOOOOOOO excited that i have managed to do this lol! .....................doesnt take a lot to please me LOL!!

GO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so thanks for all your help n support peeps, without your knowledge Linny would still be frustrated :):)!!!

You could of course avoid the need to format those drives to FAT32 and eliminate the file size restriction by using both the Xbox & PS3 to stream the content around the house while having all your content located on your PC or on the HDDs formatted to NTFS and connected to your PC.

Glad to hear you got it all worked out Linny, you should really give PS3 media server a try, I use it all the time and love it.

You could of course avoid the need to format those drives to FAT32 and eliminate the file size restriction by using both the Xbox & PS3 to stream the content around the house while having all your content located on your PC or on the HDDs formatted to NTFS and connected to your PC.
only problem with that is sometimes the connection can be a bit slow. But yes for the larger files they should be able to stream. Not tried it as such, but think all pcs are connected to the game consoles. Its a matter of seaching to see what it can pickup
plus 1 thing at a time - its taken me a while to work this out lol!

Added after 3 minutes:

you should really give PS3 media server a try

not quite sure what that is or how it works - again will look that up and see what its about

Last edited:
Trust me Linny it's a wonderful little program, it basically allows you to stream movies and music straight from your pc to your ps3, it'll show up in the XMB menu and then you can scroll through all the files on your pc and you can either watch movies or listen to music or choose to copy them onto the ps3 HD, I put a 500GB HD into my ps3 and now just copy the files onto the ps3 HD, it really does make the ps3 a complete enterainment centre :)

Be aware though, that you may (will) still have issues with MKV files. Anything from the audio sounding like the chipmunks to it telling you the file is corrupt. However, it can usually be made to work, just a little frustrating. Files such as AVI and VOB can be set to stream directly (without transcoding) which will save your pc working as hard and allow for higher quality streaming.

Back