done it again :( pc restore wont work

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
ok i know i should know better by now
Installed something from VM yesterday and its caused a problem. uninstalled via revo but now cant do a system restore, even in safe mode

error codes are 0x80042302 volume shadow copy. tried command prompt and sfc /scannow but didnt do anything said it could not start the repair service.
Its also telling me in the sys tray that there is no connection and the flag saying i have 3 errors main 2 being no protection but both avg and mse are working
also got another error message when in safe mode when it would not let me restore took photo but came out wrong so error code is ???? 0003005

also ive got no sound :(
im out all day today so will turn off and retry/think tomorrow!

Last edited:
Found this info Linny,

Hi,
Check whether Volume Shadow Copy Service, System Restore Service is started and Set to Automatic

1. Type Services.msc in Start Menu search box, hit Enter.
2. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is Running and set on Automatic.
3. If the Status of System Restore Service is not Started, Start it. Also set it on Automatic if it is not.
4. restart your computer.
Now try to do a system restore.
You may also download the Norton removal tool and completely remove all the components of Norton. Check if that helps.
Check how the computer works in safe mode.
Code:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode
If the computer works fine in safe mode, then do a clean boot.
Refer this KB article:
Code:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Also, run System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to make sure system files are intact and to replace the file. Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
3. At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

tried all that to no avail! still will not work. cannot do the sfc scan come up windows resource protection could not start the repair service

the vsc is runnig and set to auto but still cannot do sys restore. when i go to control panel certain tings i cant do click on restore nothing happens click on uninstall a prog nothing happens. even tried to go to mybackup and that will not start due to an internal error class not registereed 0x80040154

think its best to delete everything on the EHD and backup again from there - even if it means copying everything and doing another clean install and start afresh!

In future i will not add anything from VM!!

OK ive not gota bigger problem i cant open any photos on my pc photos comes up class not registered :(
tells me itunes was not installed properly

Last edited:
its obviously done something drastic as i cannot print or open home group, update etc. seems to have blocked out any connection, yet i can get onto internet and get emails. Think the Vm thing optimised my BB connection and blocked updates and network connection. will not let me access any backup.
seem to be coming across so many errors, when i google them they come up with different solutions or different reasons for the errors. deleted mse as it told me to uninstall and reinstall, but now cannot access it.
so need to add the hard drive to another pc to see if i can access the backup files.

A quick thing you could try Linny is to download the renamed copy of RKill here (eXplorer.exe) and run it just incase you may have an infection.

Code:
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/dl/638566ed4771a7ff2de5c30c2589c4f6/4fe43e61/windows/security/security-utilities/r/rkill/eXplorer.exe

Then without shutting down the computer try to see if system restore will work. Also the usual scan with malwarebytes will not do any harm.

Edit: If Rkill triggers an alert from malware bytes you can safely ignore it Linny

jodav :)

Last edited:
will try that. have just tried to reinstall itunes so i can deauthorised pc and got a message
windows installer service could not be accessed. This ca n occur ifthe windows installer is not correctly instsalled.

RKill log
This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 22/06/2012 at 11:22:34.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe

Rkill completed on 22/06/2012 at 11:22:50.

Last edited:
Try any one of these Linny (they are all the same programs, they are different names as a lot of virus programs have safeguards against known programs that can help remove\tempereroly halt the virus). You can rename it anything you want when downloaded like Linny.exe)

Code:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

still showing nothing and mb shows nothing :(
just doing another whole scan on avg - scanning everything, see if that shows anything

Last edited:
Still get this after rkill still eill not let me dln itunes

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-2669605093.jpg
    image-2669605093.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 31
Linny40 said:
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Still get this after rkill still eill not let me dln itunes<br />
<br />
Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Tried to download windows installer but get this

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-1172995409.jpg
    image-1172995409.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 28
The only thing I can suggest Linny is either post a topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section at BleepingComputer ensuring you read and follow the preperation guide in the sticky. I could look at the DDS and GMER logs myself and help if there are infections but simply do not have the time Linny due to currently working 6 days per week. You may have to wait a number of days for a helper due to workload but trust me when I say these guys are the best regarding malware fighting.

If you do not think you have an infection or do not want to wait for BP response then I would suggest restoring\re installing the system due to numerous problems you have (backing up any photos, music, documents first to an extenal drive).

Wish I could give you the time to get involved myself Linny but unfortunately workload too busy at present.

thanks appreciate th time you have given. x going to get a new EHD and baack up to that and do a fresh install.

Have no idea why i get these problems i msut do something wrong :(

managed to back everything up and backup works on other pc so today going to kill it and revive it :)
have no idea what the class unregisterd means but came up every time i tried to open something. So the VM backup and other progs i tried to install ( and i think it optimized my BB connection - which is why it will not update anything, yet i can use internet and get emails - strange??) obviously kicked something out!

SORTED!!!!

tried up install the windows repair disk but would not read for some reason told me there was an error. went into setup and told me there were disk errors, left it to repair its self and HEY PRESTO!!! everything working again. System restore, managed to get into files & photos and even updated windows and my anti virus!!

Back