end of the world?

aldan

VIP Member
i am so sick of these conspiracy theorists predicting disaster and ultimately the end of the world.been watching tv tonite telling me how the mayans say the world is going to end this december.nostradamus,same thing different time line.ancient alien theorists telling me how we have been visited by aliens and they imparted all that we know today.it would be so nice if just once these assholes that predict gloom and doom would get off their sorry asses and do something for the betterment of mankind.by the way,as far as i know the london olympics went off without a hundred thousand deaths.both the mayans and nostrodamus can kiss my ass.rant over........as he slinks away.

i have a theory about the end of the world - when your time is up its up - end of lol no conspiracy theory.
Aldan dont let em get to you! world is full of nutters all saying they can "see" stuff. If they were that good then they wouldnt let the things happen.
As for the Olympics both went off without a hitch and my friends have been taken part and come home again. Its one of the best things that happened in the UK for a long time. So their conspiracys are totally wrong lol!

Aldan go have a beer in the bar lol!

What gets me even more angry than these conspiracies alone is when people start to react negatively after hearing about the "end of the world".

For example, taken from MailOnline after a quick search on Google: "Girl, 16, kills herself after researching doomsday disasters "

How sad what must have been goin on in her mind. Sounds like it had been brainwashed with rubbish to make her do that

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

by the way,as far as i know the london olympics went off without a hundred thousand deaths.both the mayans and nostrodamus can kiss my ass.

What about our friend Starking??? The Olympics story was his baby, surely one who brought the UK a wonderful Starview service couldn't be wrong??

I agree. The world will go on as it did millions of years ago before we were here. People are so desperate to know what is going to happen that they will believe just about anything. It's no wonder why the world we live in is so Fu*ked up....

i am so sick of these conspiracy theorists predicting disaster and ultimately the end of the world.been watching tv tonite telling me how the mayans say the world is going to end this december.nostradamus,same thing different time line.ancient alien theorists telling me how we have been visited by aliens and they imparted all that we know today.it would be so nice if just once these assholes that predict gloom and doom would get off their sorry asses and do something for the betterment of mankind.by the way,as far as i know the london olympics went off without a hundred thousand deaths.both the mayans and nostrodamus can kiss my ass.rant over........as he slinks away.

You are right Aldan, all this stuff about the world ending on Dec. 21st is a bunch of nonsense, the Mayan is nothing more than a long count calendar, sure it ends on Dec. 21st but it's no different than our calendar ending on Dec. 31st. I've seen videos where people have asked modern day Mayans about the world ending on Dec. 21st and they have no clue what people who believe this are talking about, not to mention a little nuts ;) as far as I understand the Mayans never said anything about the world ending on Dec. 21st, that is just modern day mans interpretation of it.

We have never been visited by aliens, these people who preach this crap and nothing more than liars, deceivers and new agers, sure people have seen things in the skies flying around and disappearing and reappearing, but they are not aliens. I won't get into what they are because this in not the place or forum for this kind of debate.

Nostradamus may have gotten a few things right, whether he could actually predict the future or just got lucky is really up for debate.

It reminds me of 1999. All those people freaking out and stock piling food. They never talk about all the predictions that Nostradamus and others had that didn't come true. The only real thing we have to worry about is the next apple product. :cry:

how many time are we going to read the same thing lol when i was in my teens in the 80s it was going to end, then 1999 ? then 11,11,2011 ? now the 12,12,12 whats next lol 1,4,13 !!!!! i predict one day it might just happen, now predict that !!! now some day somebody will say stigie said it might happen lol :p

LOL and now they are training astronauts at NASA to inspect a asteroid in the mid 2020s. bet it misses.:eyes:

Look the simple thing is, if we say that the world is going to end every day, one fine day we will be correct lol

Shame on all you non-believers...There's less than a week to go and you still don't believe,Luckily I've amassed a huge pile of "Unwanted" Starview boxes so when the end does come at least I'll have something to watch.......

Won't I?:whacko:

im sure the fine people that predicted this little disaster will have some "logical" explanation as to why it didnt happen? well im off to,uh,france.

There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28, 2013.

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year…. so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago.

---------- Post Merged at 08:20 PM ----------

There has been a bogus forward circulating Facebook and Twitter about the Mayan Calendar. It claims that the Mayans were unaware of our Leap Year system, therefore the world should have already ended. The forward going around reads:

There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28, 2013.

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year…. so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago.

While I appreciate the ultimate goal of this forward, whoever wrote it is very misinformed. The current era (known to the Mayans as a baktun) does end on December 21, 2012. However, the world will not end; the calendar simply rolls over to the next baktun. It’s very similar to the Gregorian date of January 1, 2000.

And just like we celebrated the beginning of the new millennium, the Mayans would have celebrated the beginning of a new baktun. This was not something to fear.

Julius Caesar did modify the Roman calendar in 45BCE to include Leap Years. This new calendar was called the Julian calendar. As of the time of posting, today’s date on the Julian calendar is only February 23, 2012. This is because the Julian calendar adds a leap year every four years, meaning that each year is 365.25 days long.

In reality, one solar year is ~365.24219878 days. In order to correct Caesar’s mistake, it was changed in 1582 to a calendar year equal to 365.2425 days. This was done by skipping leap years that were divisible by 100 unless they are also divisible by 400. For instance, the following years would have been leap years under the Julian calendar, but are now skipped: 1500, 1700, 1800, 1900. Likewise, the following leap years were not skipped because they were also divisible by 400: 1600, 2000. This system, known as the Gregorian calendar, is what we use today.

The Mayan calendar is very inaccurate when calculating years. Not only did they not account for leap years, they were completely wrong about how many days were in a year. The Mayan “tun” is 360 days long, equivalent of 0.986 years.

However, the date of December 21, 2012, is not based on Mayan tuns. It is based on the total accumulation of days since the beginning of the Mayan calendar. It is commonly accepted that the first date on the Mayan calendar is August 11, 3113 BCE on the Gregorian calendar. Therefore, we must start on that date and count forward in time.

The Mayan baktun is the equivalent of 400 Mayan tuns (years). But remember, their years are only 360 days long. 400 x 360 = 144,000. Therefore, each Mayan baktun is a total of 144,000 days long.

As of the time of posting, the Mayan date is 12.19.19.3.11. The first number represents the baktun, the second number katuns (20 Mayan years), the third number is tuns (Mayan years), the fourth is uinals (20 day “weeks”), and the final number is the day. I know that I’m making some history nut cringe at my over simplification of the Mayan calendar; I’m using “years” and “weeks” to make things easy to understand.

On December 21, 2012, the first number in the Mayan calendar will change from 12 to 13, making it 13.0.0.0.0. The last time this happened was on September 18, 1618, when the current baktun started. As you have already imagined, the Mayan date on that day was 12.0.0.0.0. Obviously, the world didn’t end.

But how do we know that 13.0.0.0.0 will happen on December 21, 2012? First, we need to calculate the total amount of days required to reach the 13th baktun: 144,000 x 13 = 1,872,000 days.

If we start counting from August 11, 3113 BCE, we probably won’t get very far. I don’t know about you, but counting to almost 2 million isn’t something that I have time to do. Instead, use any date calculator to do the math. Sure enough, you’ll always arrive at the same date: December 21, 2012.

Update 4/26/2012: I would like to clarify a misconception about when the Mayan calendar began. Some date calculators convert everything before Oct 15, 1582 to the Julian calendar. This is because dates recorded in history during that time were recorded on the Julian system. I didn’t see any reason to convert it twice so I used August 11, 3113 BCE on the Gregorian calendar and counted forward. However, the Mayan calendar began September 6, 3114 BCE on the Julian calendar. If your calculator is using the Julian calendar for older dates, please keep this in mind. For more information, please read the original message that prompted this.

Update 5/20/2012: Some people still disagree with the date calculator and/or simply do not understand this article. I posted a comment below, showing all of the work required to count days on the Gregorian calendar, further proving that the calendar does end on Dec 21.

Update 6/25/2012: Some small mix ups with the year because certain Gregorian calendars use the year zero while others do not. Please see this comment from a very informed reader who explains it all.

Back