Extended guarantee when purchasing laptops online?

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
When purchasing laptops from an online retailer such as eBuyer, i'm aware that you will receive the standard 12 month manufacturer warranty, but what is the procedure to extend the guarantee if something was to go wrong with the laptop. Would this be dealt with buy eBuyer or the laptops manufacturer?

My guess is the laptops manufacturer, but not sure so thought i'll have it confirmed. :(y):

I just bought a Toshiba laptop and the store tried to sell me an extended warranty, I declinded as they wanted a 1/3rd(approx. 150.00cdn) of the value of the laptop for one year, I registered the laptop with Toshiba and got a offer from them for an extended warranty, Toshiba only wanted 79.00 cdn, so to me it is better to deal with the mfg of the laptop and cheaper.

I also don't trust these 3rd party warranty backers, I've had hassels with them before, they will try and weasel out of it anyway they can ;)

Awesome..!

Do you have the link to the laptop?

I'm thinking of buying this one:

HP G62-452SA Laptop - Laptops | Ebuyer.com

Also when you say you registered your laptop with Toshiba, did you do this online or via the phone, what was the process like, and how did you pay for the extended warranty?

Is it for one year or 3 years?

Only trouble i'm having is, i hate having all the pre-installed "junk" that system manufacturers tend to include in there laptops, so was thinking of doing a clean install. But if something was to go wrong, lets say a hardware failure, they'll fix it, turn it on and find that i've re-installed the OS with lets say a "cracked" one then i think i will be in trouble.

The 64Bit Windows OS seems to be a popular one now eh?

Cant seem to find the 32bit OS on most of the laptops. I quite like the HP G62, it only has 3GB ram, but the 7200rpms of the HDD should make up for it.

I have some earnings via eBay in PayPal, so it'll be a great money saver for money to use the existing savings in there. Think i can grab that HP G62 for under £300 or so if i include my existing PayPal "earnings". i3 processor aswell, will order it next week, but in the meantime want to sell my current one, thats going to be a tough thing to do, its really old. :(

I got a very good deal with SquareTrade. They actually replaced my hard drive hassle free almost 3 years later(they paid both ways postage) for a refurbished laptop I bought online. Av ailable in US and UK from what I see( I am in US)

Here's a link to the laptop I bought
Toshiba Satellite 15.6" Laptop featuring AMD Processor E350 (C650D-008) - Black : 15" Laptops - Best Buy Canada
I registered online, took about 2 mins., the process was easy, I haven't decided if I want to get the extended warranty yet, but if I do one year will suffice, it'll be two years old at that point and I'm sure it'll last longer than that (hopefully LOL ) and if it dies after the two years I'll just pick up another one.
The extended warranty is for 1 year for 79.00 or I can opt for 2 years for 143.00.
I agree with you there, I really dislike all the "junk" that comes pre-installed with the laptop, but I'll just leave it as it is just in case they try and blame any failures on me re-installing the OS, the good thing about this laptop is I had the option to use the 32 or 64bit OS during the initial setup, I opted for the 64bit version and yes if they see an illegal version of the OS installed I'm pretty sure they would just send it back and say "you're outta luck sir" if your lucky LOL

I did look at the same laptop (HP), but I hate it when they don't have a separate number keypad, so I passed on it, but other than that the HP seems like a nice laptop.

And wow glad I bought it when I did, I only paid 379.00 plus tax and now it's up to 549.99 plus tax, wonder if someone screwed up on the price?

I got a very good deal with SquareTrade. They actually replaced my hard drive hassle free almost 3 years later(they paid both ways postage) for a refurbished laptop I bought online. Av ailable in US and UK from what I see( I am in US)

Is this some sort of third party guarantee website or something cyprus?

Did you buy the refurbished laptop from Square Trade or elsewhere?

Added after 6 minutes:

Here's a link to the laptop I bought
Toshiba Satellite 15.6" Laptop featuring AMD Processor E350 (C650D-008) - Black : 15" Laptops - Best Buy Canada
I registered online, took about 2 mins., the process was easy, I haven't decided if I want to get the extended warranty yet, but if I do one year will suffice, it'll be two years old at that point and I'm sure it'll last longer than that (hopefully LOL ) and if it dies after the two years I'll just pick up another one.
The extended warranty is for 1 year for 79.00 or I can opt for 2 years for 143.00.
I agree with you there, I really dislike all the "junk" that comes pre-installed with the laptop, but I'll just leave it as it is just in case they try and blame any failures on me re-installing the OS, the good thing about this laptop is I had the option to use the 32 or 64bit OS during the initial setup, I opted for the 64bit version and yes if they see an illegal version of the OS installed I'm pretty sure they would just send it back and say "you're outta luck sir" if your lucky LOL

I did look at the same laptop (HP), but I hate it when they don't have a separate number keypad, so I passed on it, but other than that the HP seems like a nice laptop.

And wow glad I bought it when I did, I only paid 379.00 plus tax and now it's up to 549.99 plus tax, wonder if someone screwed up on the price?

That is a decent laptop for the price you paid, was shocked when i saw that the ATI graphics card was listed in the specs.

Ah yes, it might have been a limited time deal?

I want to buy the HP laptop ASAP because you can never know when the price will shoot back up, and if it does, i can see myself choosing a different laptop. lol

You wouldnt believe the current specs of the laptop i'm using now, i bought this laptop 4 years ago and its my first one.

Intel Celeron Processor 1.5 Ghz
256MB RAM
40GB HDD?! Split in two partitions (extremely small partitions as you would imagine)
Some crappy intelgraphics card.

I have to kill Google Chrome or FireFox occasionally because the RAM is easily taken up.

As for the HP G62 - Think it'll take me time getting used to the keyboard but i think i will manage. There is an extra column to the far left just before the caps lock with extra functionality buttons.

Last edited:
Personally, just my own opinion now and no offence to anyone that has one!!!! BUT , I wouldnt go near a HP, everytime i seem to be searching for a computer related problem, i dont know if its just me but HP (especially their printers :censored:) seem to pop up all over the dam place.

Toshiba sattelites seem to suffer ALOT with the black screen of death.... maybe this problem has been ironed out with newer models but ive seen enough to convince me to steer clear...
If you are gonna get any of these models then an extended warranty IS A MUST lol

just my opinion :)

Have a look through dell deals, might pick up something nice there, Gman has stuck up a few excellent bargain lappies/PC's around the place also.

That is a decent laptop for the price you paid, was shocked when i saw that the ATI graphics card was listed in the specs.

Ah yes, it might have been a limited time deal?

I want to buy the HP laptop ASAP because you can never know when the price will shoot back up, and if it does, i can see myself choosing a different laptop. lol

You wouldnt believe the current specs of the laptop i'm using now, i bought this laptop 4 years ago and its my first one.

Intel Celeron Processor 1.5 Ghz
256MB RAM
40GB HDD?! Split in two partitions (extremely small partitions as you would imagine)
Some crappy intelgraphics card.

I have to kill Google Chrome or FireFox occasionally because the RAM is easily taken up.

As for the HP G62 - Think it'll take me time getting used to the keyboard but i think i will manage. There is an extra column to the far left just before the caps lock with extra functionality buttons.

That is one of the features I was looking for was a ATI or Nivdia graphics card.
Not sure if it was a limited time deal or not, but glad I bought it when I did, just hope bestbuy doesn't call me looking for more money LOL

Grab the HP, it's a nice laptop.

As for your old laptop, I doubt you'll get much for it, no offense but it's pretty much a paper weight LOL

Is this some sort of third party guarantee website or something cyprus?

Did you buy the refurbished laptop from Square Trade or elsewhere?

It is a third party warranty, it is all they sell. The laptop I bought it on a different website.

You can buy the warranty directly from them, or even from Amazaon.com. There are always 20-30%discount coupons available.

Toshiba sattelites seem to suffer ALOT with the black screen of death.... maybe this problem has been ironed out with newer models but ive seen enough to convince me to steer clear...
If you are gonna get any of these models then an extended warranty IS A MUST lol

Hmmmm maybe I better get the extended warranty LOL , But i do take extremely good care of my electronics, no one uses my stuff but me, hey I paid for it and if you wanna play with stuff get you're own ;)

Id believe you would take care of your gizmo's but unfortunately some of them are incapable of taking care of themselves lol

Ahh thanks for the input, think i'll go with the extended guarantee. :)

Only issue i have with that now is, i'd want to do a clean install. Thing is, i use Acronis Home Image, and find it works a treat, but if i was to restore the partition incase of a virus then i'd like to reformat the hard drive, if i do that, then i may end up getting rid of the restore partition, and if i do, then i'm screwed as i'd pretty much void the guarantee? {correct me if i'm wrong}

I hate manufacturer set ups, and would want to stay clear of them. Its my laptop, let me do what i want with it and cover me at the same time already? Is it too much too ask, darn manufacturers lol

I hate manufacturer set ups, and would want to stay clear of them. Its my laptop, let me do what i want with it and cover me at the same time already? Is it too much too ask, darn manufacturers lol

I hear you, it's like you buy it but they still own it til the warranty runs out, then it's "screw you mister customer" LOL

Most of the crap that comes preinstalled can be easily removed. I wouldnt go installing the os on a brand new system unless it was a display model where people have had their paws all over it.
Once their removed do your backup, should be fine after that.

Windows will report it in the action center to do a backup and will constantly remind you to do so unless you tell it to shut the hell up :)

Just be vigilant in what your installing afterwards and what you open and it will be extremely rare that you get any sort of virus, anytime ive gotten one on mine its been my own fault!

Id believe you would take care of your gizmo's but unfortunately some of them are incapable of taking care of themselves lol
Good point axxxo, my Hd-DvD player just stopped reading Hd-DvD discs, now I've got about 80 movies I can't watch :( Trying to get one off ebay, but none of the sellers will ship to Canada, I'll keep hunting though, there's gotta be one out there some where.

My personal to do with ebuyer

I bought 2 x 26" Samsung Monitors a while back, they had a 3 years manufacturers warranty, 1 year with ebuyer and 3 years with Samsung from the date of sale so one year was a waste.

When one monitor went tits up after only 3 months I contacted Ebuyer, they of course recommended I went to Samsung but after pi55ing about I got the replacement from eBuyer.

If you take out extended warranty or you have 3 years I would use ebuyer for the first year then use either the extended warranty after the year the then given warranty with the purchase.

Dont buy any of this shit the big stores have to offer for warranty, give your Dad a couple of quid a month to insure it via contents insurance.

Dont buy any of this shit the big stores have to offer for warranty

Good advice, because it's nothing more than the big stores trying to pad their profit margin, sadly most people will probably lose their receipts and then you know the store will say "sorry sir but you must present a receipt for the extended warranty"

Most of the crap that comes preinstalled can be easily removed. I wouldnt go installing the os on a brand new system unless it was a display model where people have had their paws all over it.
Once their removed do your backup, should be fine after that.

Windows will report it in the action center to do a backup and will constantly remind you to do so unless you tell it to shut the hell up :)

Just be vigilant in what your installing afterwards and what you open and it will be extremely rare that you get any sort of virus, anytime ive gotten one on mine its been my own fault!

Lets say if i do get hit with a virus, and i want to restore from a previous backup, is there any way that Windows 7 will reformat the entire HDD before it restores from the backup?

Because sometimes the drive is still affected by the aftermath of the virus if its not reformatted first and then the back up is restored.

Update:

Found the answer. Cheers axxxo, wont be needing Acronis for this one then. :)

7. To Do a Full System Image Recovery
NOTE: This option will format everything on each hard disk drive that was included in the system image, then restore them as they were when the system image was created.

Last edited:
Just practice safe computing and surfing Dan, have a good firewall and anti-virus installed and you should be safe and keep away from those questionable sites ;)

Back