Freesat/sky

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
I have got an old sky dish that was left behind from previous homeowner. We have been here 4 yrs and have cable.

Im thinking of getting a freesat box for upstairs as we dont have a tv aerial.
The old dish - the previous owner cut the cable. so what i want to know is would the dish be compatible with freesat box and what cable would i need to connect it up.

Would i need an engineer to realign the dish or as its been up and previously working for sky tv would be still work once connected back up.

I have some cable tv cable/aerial can that be used or is it different cable. The cable we have we used to renew our cable tv when some idiot cut it rather than ring Vm so i know its ok for CAtv.
Plus is ther much difference in the freesat boxes

hi linny ordinary coaxial tv cable will do
you can get some nice freesat plus boxes for about 50-60 pounds, or better again try and get yours hands on an old sky digital box, somebody you know might have one lying around
if the dish has not been moved it would be aligned to the astra satellite
which freesat get its signal from.

hope this helps

firsthand said:
hi linny ordinary coaxial tv cable will do
you can get some nice freesat plus boxes for about 50-60 pounds, or better again try and get yours hands on an old sky digital box, somebody you know might have one lying around
if the dish has not been moved it would be aligned to the astra satellite
which freesat get its signal from.

hope this helps

Thanks first! Now just got to nag hubby to get up onto chimney to fix cable. Also take it that fittings would be same as u would use for tv ect. So any old sky dish will get freeview then

Last edited:
yes you can use the old sky boxes and manually input the frequencies and recieve channels - BBC1,2,3,4- itv 1,2,3,4, film4, channel4, more4 ,five and a few others. noel had a post on here a while back on how to input the channels and what frequecies you may need.
sat fitting would be the same. I can give you info on where to get the frequencies , when you need them

need any more help let me know

cheers! J x
will have a look round at boxes. Suppose they must do them in HD and probably recordable Freesat boxes. Ill ask Santa :) now i know that dish will work fine.

hi, I have been given a sky+HD box. I know that I can receive freesat on it but I don't know if I can record freesat on the box without joing sky. I don't want to install a second satellite cable if I have to pay sky a subscription to use the recording functions.
Thanks in advance

best thing to do its replace that box with the one you have to see if it works for recording, then take it form there

but that means installing the extra cable from the satellite to the box and, as I'm on the second floor, I don't want to do that unless I know it will work:dunno:

but that means installing the extra cable from the satellite to the box and, as I'm on the second floor, I don't want to do that unless I know it will work:dunno:

why do you have to install extra cable, all you need to do it take out the sky box you have and replace with the other one - IF it works then you can decide if you want to install new cable. Do you already have a sky dish so that the sky box will work or are you talking about cable tv as in VM - if so then the sky box will not work on cable. It will only work IF you have a sky dish up

you need the extra satellite cable to record one program whilst watching another as two signals are needed to do this

Just thought - check if it records what I'm watching, no extra cable needed!! Head is working slow due to Christmas

i have never heard of needing 2 cables to record. I have vm + box and i can record 2 progrs and watch another, its not the cable its the brains inside the box lol!

but ive got friends that have sky and none of them need 2 different cables as far as i know to watch one and record another, surely there is only 1 input. With freeivew and freesat boxes that record it doenst mention needing 2 feeds, plus how can you put 2 feeds to the sky dish? Sorry maybe my brain aint working. But why is it cable only needs 1 feed but sky + needs 2 feeds. i have 1 lead go to my cable and i can watch and record up to 2 programes all at the same time, i know coz we do it often.

There are two inputs and my satellite has four feeds, I'm using one in each of three rooms, so have one left. The box does have two tuners in it. Speaking to you, I'm wondering if this is just because it is sky and normal hd+ plus boxes only need one input.

without seeing it i have no idea and as ive never had sky and i can only say what ive been told by others. But even the freeivew + that you can record on - they dont mention that you need 2 arieals or 2 feeds to use it. Maybe you can take some piccies and add them to this thread and they guys that know can help explain exactly what each socket is for if your not sure.when you say your satellite do you mean your dish has 4 feeds - if so is that so you can have multi room - where you plug in a lead from 1 box in each room to the dish. Sorry having a blonde day myself lol! forgive me if i seem to be making things more complicated!

try using a splitter
product_thumb.php

With no viewing card, connected by SCART:
hit and miss on the freesat channels 'no satellite signal is being received'
Reminders do not remind.

With no viewing card, connected by HDMI:
All normal freesat channels available, only BBC in HD

With SCART or HDMI:
If I try to record, it asks for a sky viewing card.
Programme listings but no programme information except for the programme I am watching - not much good for planning
Reminders remind but can find no autoview option - no good if you use a video

With HDMI and (borrowed) sky card:
BBC HD, ITV1 HD, 4 HD and 5 HD
With one or two inputs:
'Sky+ playback and recording are not available. Call the broadcaster for assistance'

With everything:
Programme listings but no programme information except for the programme I am watching - not much good for planning
Reminders remind but there is no autoview option - no good if you use a video

All in all a waste of time using their box - that's why they give them away, because you have to sign up with them to use it :censored:

Back