Full Backup

hopper

Hi

I have my ZGemma set up the way I want it.
I saw somewhere that I can do a full backup of my box if so then

1. I have a HD connected to the back of the unit but is it possible to connect a USB stick to the front and put the back up on that instead....if so how.
2. If I do have a backup created can I boot the unit with the USB stick and will it install fully with all my settings.
3. If I have a new same box can I just boot with the backup USB stick to restore image to the way I had it.

Thanks

1) I always backup via the rear port so don't know if the front works. Don't worry you can just remove your hard drive, backup to usb and reinsert your hdd and your hdd will carry on where it left off. No initialising needed, nothing will be deleted etc.

Format a usb to fat32.
Place a blank text file on it called backupstick.txt

Openatv goto
Menu… Setup… Software Management… Backup Image

Select usb and go make a brew.

Please note you won't be able to reflash if the total backup is larger than 128mb. So make sure you check the file size of the final backup. If it's larger than this you will need to remove some surplus plugins/skins crap etc.

2) yes a backup is a complete copy of your setup. Image/Skin/settings/Line etc.

3) Yes most people do this. They set up one box to the perfect spec. Then just use the backup to reflash other boxes. If doing this for a 3rd party, you need to remove your line details as these will be included in the backup. (don't really want to be giving your mate your paid line...do you)

Thanks for the info lads
BTW if the box it blank will it boot up to the exact way I backed it up or do I need to make the USB bootable ?

you need to edit the file inside the folder called "noforce" to "force"

Then you are good to go. plug in the front, switch on and it should go to FLASH instead fo BOOT on front screen.

I am sure there is another way to make it flash by pressing a certain button but I forget now so always just do what I mentioned here...

Also the backup folder might contain a ZGEMMA and a FULLBACKUP folder, I always disregard and delete the FULL BACKUP and just use the ZGEMMA one - and edit the file inside that one....

I always keep the dated one and delete the zgemma one. Then i know when i did the backup. Just rename to zgemma when i need it

Back