Hard drive prices soar

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard drive prices soar due to Thai floods

imagesqtbnANd9GcSGrpKpU_mdJw7hSuOZy.jpg

Thailand, as most of us may not know, is the 2nd largest exporter of hard drives in the world.

According to Reuters, due to the floods in Thailand, hard drive prices have increased by as much as 40 percent!

Western Digital which have a factory is Thailand have close it down. Seagate, which also have a factory there is still operational have warn that they may face shortage of parts!

A 1TB drive I purchased recently here in Ireland for 44 Euro is now listed @ 80 Euro :no no:

-

Last edited:
I know what you mean Gman,i just returned 2 seagates which were faulty and will get a refund but the cost of a new 1 is dearer than the 2 i bought in july,i wont be buying seagate again,i will stick with western digital or samsung unless you have any other recomendations

I know what you mean Gman,i just returned 2 seagates which were faulty and will get a refund but the cost of a new 1 is dearer than the 2 i bought in july,i wont be buying seagate again,i will stick with western digital or samsung unless you have any other recomendations

Seagate owns Samsung.

I dont know bonus with samsung hdd's they have no uk repair centre so i get new for old in uk 3 yrs warranty with retailer i use ebuyer no probs exchanging old for new better than recon seagate and as they send me brand new hdd i get another 3 yrs warranty bonus me thinks (y)

Last edited:
i wont be buying seagate again,i will stick with western digital

I am, and always have been a WD man. I'm sure everyone has their own story to tell? but WD have been by far the more consistent for reliability in my own personal experience.

Last month I purchased a 2 T WD caviar black bare drive for $139 USD from Amazon

today it was $249 for the same thing. endo got lucky.

Last month I purchased a 2 T WD caviar black bare drive for $139 USD from Amazon

That is a serious hike endo? $110 on one item in the space of four weeks :dunno:

That is a serious hike endo? $110 on one item in the space of four weeks :dunno:

No kidding G.......and both prices were from Amazon

that was for the 2 T WD caviar black model 2002 FAEX

Floods or no floods, the stores are really taking advantage of the situation and needlessly screwing the consumer :no no:

Floods or no floods, the stores are really taking advantage of the situation and needlessly screwing the consumer :no no:

As Abu, at the Quickie Mart, from the Simpsons would say, " please please everyone, stay calm, stand in line, take your turn, you all will have your chance to be gouged equally"....

*This was from an episode where Springfield was experiencing an emergency (tornado, flood ?) and everyone was at Quickie Mart buying supplies

Needless to say the stores that be (large,soulless, entities) believe there is no such thing as needless screwing (of the consumer(read gouging).

You are 100 percent right Gman, I can understand the companies will have to increase their prices when their present stock runs out, obviously their costs will increase when they have to order new stock, but to just raise prices across the board is nothing more gouging.

After seeing what Endo posted that got me to checking.

QTY ITEM NUMBER DESCRIPTION UNIT PRICE EXTENDED PRICE Return / Exchange2 TSD-500AAKX DH WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA HD $39.99 $79.98 Returns NOT Accepted
7200/16MB/SATA-6G

IMPORTANT:This item was shipped to you over 30 days ago and cannot be returned. Please contact Western Digital at 800-275-4932
Net Product: $79.98Sales Tax: $0.00P & H: $4.05Total Shipment: $84.03

These were ordered back in August, they are now $109.99 from the same retailer. That is insane. :boo:

Edit: Sorry, I tried fixing the post were it could be read better but it wouldn't stay, anyway they were $39.99 each when ordered.

That is insane.

That's exactly what it is and they will get away with it as long as customers are prepared to pay those ridiculous rates.

Extortion is another word that comes to mind.

We need to get all those tent protesters on the case?

I will not pay those prices, I will just find a way to make do with what I have until something changes.

As for the tent protesters, what I think needs to be done with them is not appropriate for this forum.

I will not pay those prices, I will just find a way to make do with what I have

Actually, to be quite honest, endo bought up 2 more of the WD 2002FAEX 2 T caviar blacks from Oldegg for $139, so I am making due and sitting pretty. This was in Sept when Oldegg had a sale on them. 6 T's of memory goes a long way. endo got lucky :)

Using them with my Thermaltake docking station (hot swap box)

Back