Windows Vista Help Needed With Pc That Wont Power Up.

moh

Deleted, at user's request.
Ok peeps hopefully someone can help me out here,

My daughter was using her desktop yesterday morning and wasn't having any problems with it,she decided to do a major clean-up in her bedroom so she disconnected all leads from her pc but on reconnecting every thing well she found that the pc wouldn't power up,i replaced the fuse on the power lead also replaced the power lead with a known working one but the pc still wont power up,as i said it was working fine prior to her removing all leads,im boggled by this so has anyone any ideas any help would be very much appreciated thanks in advance.The PSU was replaced on this machine approximately 8 months ago.

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of moh is last time I encountered this is I took it home and left unplugged for over 24 hours and plugged in and it rebooted no prob. Dunno if it's similar but maybe try out mate.

Cheers Mooley it hasnt been touched since yesterday so ill try and start it up again now.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Just tried it Mooley and its a no no, so i just dont know :confused:

try a different outlet, if hooked up to a surge protector try plugging directly into the wall. if that dosn't work then.... bad psu? is it doing anything at all?

I have also connected it into my own pc power source and still nothing homie,maybe as you said im looking at a replacement psu.Its doing nothing homie so i dunno.

I know it sounds strange mate but have you tried to boot up while it's lying on it's side?? There is method in the madness man. Back shortly just gotta run for supplies ;)

Even turned it upside down Mooley lol still nothing,i may aswell try another psu they are cheap enough but its a good place to start the diagnosis of my problem with the pc.

A lot of motherboards have a power LED fitted, take the side off and have a look to see if it's on (if you have one).

If it's on then you might have a faulty power switch on the case, or the connector is loose on the motherboard.
If you suspect it's the switch, then you can swap it with the reset switch.
(If you don't have an LED it might be worth giving that a bash anyway)

You could also try reseating the ATX supply plug on the mobo.

If those don't work then you're looking at either a dead PSU or mobo.
If the replacement PSU was under £40 then it's going to be the most likely culprit (when it comes to PSU's, it doesn't pay to buy cheap i.e. Welcome to Corsair :: Corsair Cinema ), or a short on the mobo itself (I think that's what Mooley was getting at with lying it on it's side). ;)

Splurge on something branded with a decent wattage. ;)

Chances are you won't need to go mental on the wattage for an older PC, but I usually think ahead for upgrades and rebuilds, that way I can probably use it for a bit on the next machine.

To give you a rough idea.
I'm using a 550W Xclio Greatpower Modular PSU on a C2D system clocked to 3GHz, that has three hard drives, two optical drives, 4GB of memory, an X-Fi soundcard and an ATI 4870.
I do a lot of gaming @ 1680x1050 and have my HDTV hooked up to the PC (extended display) through the Gfx card as well.
So it's probably fair to say that the PSU gets a good workout on a daily basis (if I put the side on the case it overheats :p).

The PSU cost me £50 two years ago, and all it's needed was the occasional blow out with a can of air duster. :)

I know it sounds silly but?

Does the PSU have one of those small on/off switches that might have been accidentally hit during the move?

-

Its the first thing i checked G,im going to try another psu,im thinking that maybe the prob other than that I just don't know.

Its the first thing i checked G,im going to try another psu,im thinking that maybe the prob other than that I just don't know.

It's a good bet & in a way I hope it is because it's a hell of lot cheaper & heap loads less hassle than having to change the Mobo (y)

95% of failures occur at startup. The initial power surge will fry any weak link. It's a bit like light bulbs in winter? Ever notice that most light bulbs pop when you switch them on? :doh:

Burning the midnight oil again Moh? LOL!

-

moh, deffiantlly go with a well trusted name brand, never go cheap on a psu! also make sure you get the wattage that fits your needs! as not enough or too much can damage components, or even worse start a fire!

make sure you get the wattage that fits your needs! /../ too much can damage components

I'm sorry, but that's wrong.
Not enough could cause problems, too much isn't an issue.
So long as the PSU (at whatever wattage) is creating a steady supply of 3.3, 5 and 12 Volts, you won't damage anything.

I'm sorry, but that's wrong.
Not enough could cause problems, too much isn't an issue.
So long as the PSU (at whatever wattage) is creating a steady supply of 3.3, 5 and 12 Volts, you won't damage anything.

100% correct Wooster1 (y)

-

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Moh,

You won't believe this!

After talking to you last night about your PC problem, I closed down & hit the hey, when I started my machine this morning there was Nada, nothing, dead as a dodo......

PSU gone. What were the odds of that? (I think better do the Lotto)

Just replaced it so am back in action :)

The blown PSU was a good quality one too that I only installed in Jan.
It just goes to show, it can happen anytime.

-

You should still have some warranty left on the old one I'd have thought.:)

Bummer all the same. :(

What's also a bummer is that about 99% of all that juice you pump into your PC just gets converted into heat. :o

You should still have some warranty left on the old one I'd have thought.:)

Bummer all the same. :(

What's also a bummer is that about 99% of all that juice you pump into your PC just gets converted into heat. :o

Yea, I have it covered under warranty, but it's just the whole hassle associated with changing it out and setting up the RMA :bang head:

I'd much prefer if the blooming thing stayed working LOL!

All is well that ends well (y)

-

:)

Aye, it's not like you can cobble something together while you're waiting on the new one. :P

(Although I did temporarily use two 250W supplies on a machine once because one didn't have enough Molex connectors on it)

Thats unreal Gman how weird was that :loco:, well im off to buy a new psu any recommendations on a decent psu ? plus the kids are hogging my pc :cry: lol so the sooner i get one the better.

Back