help with a Wii updated after modding

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
Hi all, I softmodded my niece's Wii when she was home for a few days and it ran no problem, I then sent a few discs to her to put onto the harddrive, but I suspect that she tried to launch them in the usual fashion and updated software.
when she tries to open neogamma or the USB loader I put on, the screen turns black and goes no further.
her homebrew channel seems to open ok.
is there an easy way for me to be able to coach her (shes 9, though her sisters are older) through this, does she have to go through the whole process again, or can she just do a wad install of the neo gamma channel and USB channel.
I am only guessing at this moment as she is in London and I haven't talked to either of the older girls.

anything you can suggest will be of great help to me. cheers.

or is there anyone in the BexleyHeath area of London who would be willing to help me out

Sinno, it is now reading Ver. 4.2 e , dont know what it was before. now i am just presuming that she updated with a disc, she says she didn't, but that could be because she thinks she will get into trouble.

i had a similar situation with a friend of mines son,this can be ok or a mess,if it was a disc update it might'nt be so bad rather than a network update,the only guide that worked for me in that situation was
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/344272788/4.2_hack_newer_models.rar
it isnt one thats going to be explained over the phone,have a look at it and see if you can simplify it yourself,my advise would be get it sent to you and run it yourself

I for got to say,get WiU1:1,this will patch the iso to prevent updates,and preloader is a must with the skip update checked

cheers sinno,
i had never run the preloader on my own wii, so am about to do that now, i did run trucha and my homebrew channel turned upside down, that was a quick panicky moment, but reloaded the homebrew channel and all was good in the world again.

i had used the wiu 1.1 to change regions, but hadn't realised what the right hand side was for (duh) so now you suggest that before i burn a hard copy, i should patch it and it wont update software.

Finally, before i have the Wii sent home to me, is there anything else she could have done to corrupt the usb loader and neo gamma channels other than updating software? I ask this because the homebrew channel still seems to be working.

4.2 can effect some in different ways,just re run everything and check the available memory,you may need to delete the internet channel that eats up the memory

Click the wii symbol,data management,save data,wii
If there is only a couple of hundred blocks,the memory is being eat up,the wii that i refered to earlier that gave me problems had only around 500 blocks remaining,the wii and internet channel had eaten up nearly 800 blocks if i remember correctly,i deleted that and continued the mod,i cant remember off hand but i think anything below 500 blocks and you will brick the wii

hi sinno, i have installed the preloader on my wii, can you compare the settings with yours, so i know i have the optimum set up, cheers
replace health screen with back menu...enabled
auto press A at health screen.....enabled
block disc updates........enabled

all the rest are disabled

on the settings page
Autoboot: System Menu
Return to: System Menu
Shutdown to off
stop disc off
show beta updates off
light slot on error off
ignore standby settings off
system menu IOS 60

if there is anything that i should change, can you let me know, thanks again.
also there is an update to .30 (i have .29), should i update??

Wheelo that looks grand,the only 2 i use is the block disc update and the autoboot to system menu
.29 is all i use

Last edited:
Okay Sinno, heres what i decided to do, I decided to use your 4.2 from your thread here:here:http://www.techkings.org/nintendo-wii/7536-wii-softmodding.html#post96763 . I have my mother in law over there at the moment so i knew that i would get it back if anything went wrong. I had my sister in law copy the files and follow my instructions by phone, slowly but surely, it took an hour or so to do by phone, but we got it done.
I think i will leave the trucha restore and the preloader until i visit in july or august, unless i get a need to talk to my sister in law for an hour againlol

anyway, as always, my sincere thanks go to you for your help Sinno.
cheers
wheelo

well Sinno, she has done it again, but this time i worked out what she did. she updated the shopping channel (not that she buys anything) and it messed her up.i am over in two weeks or so and i will fix it for her. is there some way to stop her being able to do this without switching off the internet completely. i thought that i turned off the wii connect 24. i will bring the trucha restore and pri loader with me. what else should i do for her to make my life (and hers) easier, i might just add the configurable loader. anything else you can think of??

A new Wii,have 1 of the parents check the system menu and see is it gone to 4.3,kids are going to do this everytime,i would set the parental controls to not allow her access the network if its still at 4.2 hopefully,uloader also for the mic's guitars dance matts

Back