How to connect a laptop to a tv - Idiots Guide

horne556

Help!
I have a Medion Agoya P3313 laptop (windows 7). I have purschased the required HDMI lead & i have a crystal clear picture of my laptop on the tv monitor. Problem is i don't have a clue how to complete configuration.
:gah:
If a anybody out there has some step by step instructions of how to proceed i would be eternally grateful.
Many Thanks

Hello horne556

I'm a little confused as to what your issue is exactly?

You want to connect your laptop to your TV?

You have a perfectly clear picture of your laptop on your TV?

What's the problem?

-

Thanks for the reply Gman496,

The issue i how do i go about saving the settings?

I've always used Windows XP up until recently & i'm having trouble working out how to navigate around the display settings as they differ in appearance to what's on XP.

I hope this makes some sense!

Hope i'm not butting in here but i recently tried this, i have windows 7 also, i get great picture but no sound, even a mate with good computer skills couldn't sort it, there must be a computer buff out there to help us?

scouse how do you have it connected? is it with a vga cable hdmi or something else?

Horne, are the disply settings changing each time you log on or something?

@both of you, make sure your graphics cards or onboard video are fully up to date also and audio.

Make sure there are no issues in device manager.

thanks for reply, got it connected by hdmi, thats the easy bit, another mate said it will need sorting on the tv, not so sure about that.

Thanks for the reply axxxo,

The display settings don't appear to be changing.

I know that i have to perform some function in order to change the physical arrangement of the monitors (Screen 1 & 2). I also have to adjust the screen resolution for the laptop image to fit the TV screen, this is where i'm coming unstuck!

control panel, display and screen resolution and multiple diasplays have the options to display the different monitors so you could try that.
Try changing the monitors first (1 and 2) the resolution should change automatically to fit the screen (should :) )
If not then the resolution on the tv can be changed as far as i know and the pc to match each other but my own personal exp each time ive connected a laptop or pc to a supporting tv its just changed itself to fit, if not at first a simple update to the drivers were needed and it fit then afterwards.

As for the sound problem with hdmi, well from what ive read you might not be able to get sound at all :) but, device manager again, device manager-system devices-high definition audio controller. Make sure its enabled.
Another way is Right click your screen
go to personalize
on the left there is an option "connect to a projectror or external display"
Click the speaker picture, and set the default to HDMI by right clicking it and selecting make default.
But remember settings may vary from each computer so its gonna be a play around for ye to try get it right!
Try also doing a restart while the cables are connected to the external monitors.

@scouse645 I'm nearly sure you have to change audio input on TV to HDMI and choose whichever HDMI number you have the cable connected to on TV. Thats how I did it for a mate.

@scouse645 I'm nearly sure you have to change audio input on TV to HDMI and choose whichever HDMI number you have the cable connected to on TV. Thats how I did it for a mate.
I had said on another thread about making sure its on the correct channel, forgot to say it here i think. Pain in the behind when your tv has a channel called pc for the VGA cable!
People come along and try to connect with hdmi and wonder why it doesnt work on the pc channel, annoying so it is, not the people just the way its setup!

With all the updates to hdmi audio its hard to say if the sound will work with your computer or not.
May have to go with picture through hdmi and audio through one of your other connections, or pc speakers :)

Back