How To Root The HTC Desire S

axxxo

VIP Member
images1.jpg

First you need to check a couple of things.

1. If your phone is S-OFF or S-ON
2.Your HBOOT version.

(Take note also of your devices serial number, you'll need this later.)

To do this follow these instructions

1. Disable Fast Boot. (Setting > Power > uncheck Fast Boot)
2. Turn off your phone.
3. Turn on your phone by pressing the power button and volume down button together.
4. You will see a white screen with "S-OFF" or "S-ON" and your hboot version on top of the screen.
images.jpg
NOTE: If your phone is S-ON, you won't be able to root or flash custom ROMs to your phone. It has to be S-OFF

If Your Phone is S-ON and HBOOT version is 0.98.0000 follow these instructions HBOOT version 0.98.0002 skip this and follow the guide at the bottom.

Enable Debugging mode on the phone, found under settings-applications-development

1. Download Revolutionary tool for Windows from Revolutionary (Keep the browser open)
2. Extract the zip file to a new folder.
3. Connect phone to your computer and make sure that Debugging Mode is enabled on your phone.
4. Open the new folder and right click on "revolutionary.exe" and select run as administrator.
5. It'll provide a key. Go back to the browser window where you downloaded Revolutionary tool - there's a form to fill out. Type in the key. It'll generate a second key. Type that key into the Terminal.
6. Make sure it says that everything is successful. It'll ask if you want to flash Clockwork. Type in "Y".
7. Once it shows success, reboot phone.

S-OFF will void your phone's warranty. You will need to turn it back to S-ON if you need to use your warranty at any stage.

Now that your phone is S-ON you can root it.

Download the file from THIS LINK and save it to the root of your SD card of your phone. Its a zip file and it does not need to be unzipped as the flash will do this itself.

Boot your phone into recovery mode. This is done by powering off the phone, then by holding the volume down button and power button at the same time.

Use the volume up and down button to cycle through the options. Select recovery by pressing the power button, this will start The ClockworkMod recovery that was just installed on your phone.
Clockwork-Mod-For-Nexus-S.png

Scroll to "install zip from sdcard" and press power button to select. Next select "choose zip from sdcard" and power button to select. Browse to where the zip file is stored, if its on the root of the sdcard its easier to find. Select the zip file with the power button and install it. Once this is finished your phone is rooted.

Alternatively, after achieving S-OFF on your device you could install a custom ROM, some are pre-rooted and your phone will be rooted after the ROM has been installed.
If not and you just want to root your device with the original or stock ROM then just follow the guide.

Do so at your own risk!!!

HBOOT version 0.98.0002

Get your version of Revolutionary from their site at the link above
Ensure the phone has debugging enabled
Download fre3vo from this link
Code:
 [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=661246&d=1311240968"]http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1311240968[/URL]
Open a command prompt and issue the following commands to get temp root access: (thanks again, davidreece!)

adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
adb shell (you'll get a $ prompt)
/data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start FAA90000 -end FFFFFFFF (you should be kicked off adb shell and get back to your command prompt)
adb shell (you should get a # prompt now)
exit

DO NOT disconnect or switch your device off!!
In a matter of seconds you will see the new HBOOT in place
You may want to answer Y when prompted whether to install CWM or not. It will install the new 4.0.1.4 version of the tool.
Download the file from HERE and flash it via the clockworkmod in recovery, it will install superuser, as is done in the other HBOOT version and your phone is then rooted with a stock ROM ;)

Last edited:
I have my wildfire done,can't wait to get my hands on the galaxy s2 thou,it is a toss up between your phone and the galaxy s2

The sensation is the newer model of mine so be careful you don't get my one by mistake.came out like a week after I got this. Rumour has it that this guide worked for the sg2 also but I'd prefer a more official guide I think.
I have the virtuous unity ROM installed now with sense 3.0. Seems a little bit quicker.couple of things force close on startup but nothing I really need.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

Back