HP G62 BOOTMGR missing

Icanbe

VIP Member
I've tried searching the internet and can't seem to find any help
I'm trying to install a new HD in a friends computer, I went into the BIOS and tried to change the boot order, for some reason I can't seem to get the laptop to boot from the cd rom, I insert the windows 7 dvd and keep getting "BOOTMGR" missing, I installed a spare HD I had laying around and it works fine. windows installed with no problems, I called the people who he purchased the HD from and told them the problem, of course the guy told me I was doing something wrong, I assured him this is not my first time doing this.

It's driving me nuts, could there be something wrong with the new HD or am I just doing something wrong?

hi m8 had the same problem recently and it turned out the dvd cd writer drive was faulty, i installed windows from a external dvd writer and sorted it. im not saying thats your problem but its worth a cut.

I don't think that's the problem, I installed windows7 on the other HD I had laying around using the cd rom built into the laptop and it worked fine, it's either a bad HD or something else is wrong, this kind of stuff drives me nuts LOL
Thanks for the help though Ken.

Have you tried making an image or clone of the installation of the hard drive that works and putting it onto the hard drive that doesnt work to see if it boots that way?
Alternatively see if you can install it from an external cd/dvdrom.

You could also try these steps:
Try these steps:

1.Open HP System Recovery:
CAUTION: Do not perform a system recovery! Stop at the first recovery screen.
◦Press the F11 key repeatedly while the computer is starting.
◦If you have a recovery disc, turn on the PC and insert the first recovery disc into the drive. Use the disc to enter the system recovery.
2.Select Microsoft Startup Repair tool and wait for repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer; even if the startup repair tool finds errors but cannot fix them.
3.If the error message persists, open the recovery manager screen as was done in step 1.
4.At the recovery manager screen, press ALT + D.
5.Enter the following text at the command prompt: bootrec /rebuildbcd
6.If bootrec displays "Add installation to boot list?", press y .
After bootrec completes successfully, the computer displays "The operation completed successfully".
7.To close the command prompt, enter the following text: exit
8.At the Recovery Manager screen, select Microsoft Startup Repair tool (again) and wait for startup repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer.
9.The error should no longer open. If it does, perform a system recovery, making sure to backup important files.

Normally when you insert a bootable cd/dvd you do not have to change the boot order as the computer detects its bootable and asks to 'press any key to boot from dvd', do you not get this message either?

Thanks Axxxo I'll give that a try and no I'm not getting the "press any key to boot from dvd" message.
I'll give it a go when I get home tonight and let you know what happens.
I don't have a external cd/dvd rom drive and I sure ain't buying one, it's not even my computer LOL

It's a brand new hard drive, when I install it and boot up the computer I keep getting a error message, can't remember exactly what it was saying, I'll post the initial error message tonight when i get home.

That could be the crucial clue alright lol
If you can manage to hook it up to another pc, without replacing the hard drive that windows boots from, you could try formatting it and see if that helps.
Lets see what this error message is anyway :)

Those hp laptops are a curse,i just fixed one last week,it was the hdd fault,after 6 or 7 installs of windows on original hdd it would work grand for about 2 0r 3 boots then die,even the recovery option was corrupted,put in a new hdd and it worked perfect,what hdd are you installing Icanbe,check there website and see if there is a update for the hdd,if another one is working you can be fairly certain the other has a fault,dont be like me and spend about 3 days on one problem,i also re formatted the original hdd on the 6th install attempt and same thing would work then on a reboot would just sit on the windows starting screen for about 45 mins before i turned it off,since new hdd installed no problems

It's western digital HD, that's the weird thing the spare HD went in no problem, this new one has been nothing but grief, I'll try Axxxo's suggestion and try a format on it, I only have 3.5" external enclourse, hoping it will be able to power up a 2.5" drive.

I still firmly believe the the new HD if faulty, but of course when you call tech support they assume everyone is an idiot except for them arseholes!!!!

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you posted :)

Ok here's the error message I am getting "SMART hard disk error"

Then it won't let me go any further, I did a bit of checking and from what I have read the drive is faulty, guess I'll be calling the store again and I'm not taking no for an answer.

Not sure if you have come across this:

The SMART Hard Disk test produces a prediction about the potential for hard drive failure, not an actual failure. A SMART Hard Disk error warning can appear for a variety of reasons such as the computer having been jarred sharply, or the hard disk being subjected to higher than usual temperatures.
After receiving the error message above:

Immediate back up all important data and files.
Run a Hard Disk Test to verify the condition of the hard disk.

While the SMART Hard Disk error may not indicate the imminent loss of the hard disk, it is best to be prepared, just in case the disk does fail.
Perform a Hard Drive test
To perform the Hard Drive Test in the System Diagnostics (F2) environment, do the following steps.

Turn on the computer and immediately press the esc key to display the Startup Menu.
Press the System Diagnostics (F2) key, and then select the Hard Drive Test option.
Allow the Hard Drive Test to complete. Test may take thirty to sixty minutes or more to complete depending on the size of the drive and the extent of the problems.

Outcomes of the Hard Drive test
When the Hard Drive disk test is complete, a message is displayed to indicate what actions have been taken.

Indicate no problems. You can use the computer as usual.
Fix the problem entirely. You can use the computer as usual.
Re-map the sector if the issue was caused by a bad sector. You should restart the computer. If the bad sector is repaired, you can use the computer as usual. Repeat the Hard Drive test if indicated.
Indicate a specific error and generate a warranty ID code. You should contact HP for assistance.

I probably would just get back on the phone and demand a replacement, and definitely do not take no for an answer, they will probably try every trick in the book to leave you saying Thank you very much, and not having answered any of your questions, or that could just be me. lol

I did come across this earlier, I ran the test and it's been going for about a 1/2 or so now, I'll let it finish, but I'm pretty sure the HD is faulty.
Trust me Dan I deal with vendors all day long and they will replace it or I'll drive down to the store and it won't be to say "HI" LOL
Again thanks for all the help guys :)

I don't think that's the problem, I installed windows7 on the other HD I had laying around using the cd rom built into the laptop and it worked fine, it's either a bad HD or something else is wrong, this kind of stuff drives me nuts LOL
Thanks for the help though Ken.
no problem keep us posted on the outcome

I called the store and the drive is going back today for exchange, this one is def. faulty found some bad sectors on it, guess quality control was asleep at the switch when they tested this one.

u need to put windows 7 install dvd onto a usb pendrive and install from there too.....saves time

Last edited:
I called the store and the drive is going back today for exchange, this one is def. faulty found some bad sectors on it, guess quality control was asleep at the switch when they tested this one.

lets hope this drive works fine for you now.

Back