hyraulic tappets or shims for 2000 (Xreg) Focus?

katy32

I have a Ford Focus X reg (2000) which I've just got back on the road after being SORNed for 2 years. Very noisy engine but this has improved slightly over the last few weeks. It has had an oil change and new filter but still is noisy (tapping sound) and some loss of power.

One garage said it was the hydraulic tappets but they couldn't fix them, and the second garage said it wasn't hydraulic but had shims (not that I know what they are!) and to see how the engine noise went over time as it could in fact be the cambelt causing the problem.

the third garage said it is hydraulic tappets, and have put some engine oil treatment to help reduce the engine noise and have told me to come back in a month to test the oil pressure, do an oil flush etc and then perhaps look at the tappets.

I don't know which garage to believe - does anyone know if my engine (16v zetec-s) has hydraulic tappets or shims?

When the engine was first run after being SORNed it sounded rough and I'm wondering if I've done damage to it as it had old (thick?) oil in it? This was then changed in a service when it was being MOTed. It is not burning oil, and the power is slowly coming back but it's not as good as it should be.

Any ideas please?

thanks
Katy

if you have not had cambelt done you are dicing with death,8-10 years are recommended change times,if the tap tap sound improved over a while i would say hydraulic tappets as they need oil to fill them and to keep them quiet,i would say your engine is covered in gunk,not enough oil changes and arteries partially blocked,what oil was used do you know 10-40?.i had the local mobil rep in and he said even old cars is to use esp 5-30 for 4000 miles to flush engine and crap out and then use a fe 5-30 for between 10-12 th servicing.

http://www.techkings.org/mot-servicing-emissions/35589-no-oil-change.html

Last edited:
the best engine flush to cure the regular tappet noise on most hydraulic tappets is actually diesel fuel....add about half a litre of regular pump fuel to the engine oil and run the car for 20 miles or so then change the oil and filter.
diesel fuel has detergents in it which loosens nearly all scummy deposits in your engine.....trust me, been flushing egines this way for years

Back