If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a CISCO\Linksys Wireless G ADSL 2+ Gateway WAG54G2 Annex A at my house which has been serving me well for over a year now. Never had an issue with it.

I was recently working on another system and was on the CISCO site when I noticed there had been a few firmware updates for my particular router. I guess it must be a human thing or even a geek thing but I wanted the latest firmware for my router, you know how it is? with any software program like Firefox, Ccleaner, DVDFab or whatever takes your fancy? we all want the latest version?

Anyway, my router came from the factory with the first stable firmware v1.00.10 but the latest available firmware was v1.00.19 so I down it and flash my router. The flash finished successfully and the router restarted connected to the Net and all appeared fine or so I thought. My connection started to drop and it would not come back until I powered off & powered on my router again. I noticed too that it was taking a lot longer to Sync up after each restart. My initial reaction was that something had gone wrong at my providers end and as it was the start of the weekend I wouldn't be able to get hold of them until after the Easter break. The disconnects continued to happen twice per hour every hour Approx. After 24 hours of this I was starting to throw my toys out of the pram :whacko: And then the penny dropped lol Hmmm! maybe it was being caused by the firmware upgrade?

I went back to the CISCO site and god damn it the original firmware was no longer available :no no: I search the Net & eventually found a third party site that was hosting the original firmware for my router. I downed it and reflashed my router. It's been 36 hours since and not one disconnect (y)

Sometimes the latest isn't always the greatest?

The title of this post sums it up really.

exactly what happened to me, but different in a way, i had to re-set the router and then change encryption type which then stopped it from resetting and losing connection everyday around 6pm.

I know what you mean G, i'm also the one to fiddle around with all my equipment, even when its not necessary. Sometimes i just think that i sit here looking for new things to mess up to pass time..

I always used to teach people, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, especially when people talked about flashing their motherboards, in fact i bacame a bit known for the motto among my ex students. The first thing I do if I see a firmware upgrade for my motherboard is FLASH IT lol Like you say Gman, you just can not help yourself.

origional firmware

Hi,
is there any chance you could post a link to the site with the origional firmware please - or let me know where I could get it ?
thanks

Hi,
is there any chance you could post a link to the site with the origional firmware please - or let me know where I could get it ?
thanks

Make sure you check your router to see if it is annex A or Annex B prior to download.

The original firmware can be got HERE:

Similar thing but i did that with FF 4 upgraded and found that half my add ons etc would not work, and things kept going wrong, thankfully i went back to the FF 3 ( which i had saved in a file on my pc- learnt form you guys :) ) what ever it was i had and have not had any problems .

As you say G its an age old saying BUT a true one!!!! When you start tampering with things thats when things start to go wrong!
Unfortunatly like Dan i tend to "play with things" and get frustrated when things dont go how i expect them to.

Back