India Debuts Prototype for World's Cheapest Laptop

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
39.jpg

How cheap? $35 cheap! And it's likely to get even cheaper.

The “laptop”-- which is a touch screen gadget that looks somewhat similar to the iPad--was unveiled this week by India's human resource development minister, Kapil Sibal. The Guardian reports that it has been designed for students and will likely be rolled out in 2011.

Sibal says that for the $35 price tag they've been able to develop “the motherboard, its chip, the processing, connectivity… including memory, display, everything.” Reportedly, the device will use a memory card and can be run using solar power.

What's more, Sibal says the price is expected to go down, eventually being available for a mere $10.

-

Last I had heard about this, there was a race to get the price to under $100......with about 7 companies in the running. Great to see that they have blown the inital price mark out of the water....amazing at the potential shown here!!

Well to be honest it's a ridiculously low price but it only goes to show how much we are really being screwed by the big players?

I mean, a new product hits the shelves and it's phenomenally expensive, 12 months later it's starting to get kind of doable, 2 -3 years and everybody has one. Even at that stage we are being charged way over the top for all computer related technology. Sure it costs lots to develop but once that's out of the way and the product is in profit they should be passing a much better deal onto the consumer? The biggest downside to eventually being able to afford a lot of this technology is that it is totally obsolete by the time you or I can comfortably have it on our desks?

Just look at the recent profit reports released by Microsoft?

As for Apple? I just don't know how they can even begin to justify the outlandish prices they demand for their products :bang head:

I really would love to see India giving them all a run for their money lol

-

Back