infected memory stick

anfieldroad

i have 4gig kingston datatraveler which is infected from another pc not to sure what it was infected with now ,am a bit scared to connect it up again incase i get infected again,need help dont know what to do

Plug it in, go to the start menu, and go to my computer, then right click on the flash disk (E) symbol, you should see an option to format about halfway down the list?

It shouldn't do anfield, you aren't opening any of the files on it. Do you know what it is infected with?

I have to go now in a minute anfield, but knotaclu will help you, i'm sure he knows more about it than i do anyway :)

cant remember what is was eva so iv been a bit scared to do anything with it i was gunna bin it,but i knew i would get the answer from here

Well as far as i know you should be fine, knot would that autorun virus cause a problem if he's just plugging in and reformatting?

Thanks Eva for the vote of confidence..:)
Anfield m8 you should have no worries following evas advice, but if you have any doubts, here is a few suggestions...
there is a virus going around at the moment called "autorun.inf" i think, Gman posted a good article yesterday with info about the prevalence of it. (thanks G)
it can affect your usb key and then when you plug into a computer it transfers to it.
Mooley and a few of us were discussing this only last week and Mooley posted this useful file for dealing with it...MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
(Cheers Mooley). install this file and follow the instructions, then when that is done, you can go ahead and re-format it!
hope this settles your mind!

LOL, guess this was a case of three heads being better than one in putting this together!

thanks very much for your help knot and eva willtry as soon i can i will let you know how i get on

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

managed to format it ,made up ,once again thankss veryy much

Glad you got it sorted Anfiend

Ive got a similar problem/ ive got a 4gb HC Micro SD card. will now not show up, No matter what adapter i use to put in into any pc its not showing up that drive. Before it packed up there was info on it - games n stuff but kept coming up needed to be reformatted. Tried to reformat but there was a problem and it could not complete. Its now not being recognised. I know the drive (slot) is ok coz if i put another micro sd card in the same adapter it works fine.

So for now i have written off the 4gb HC card - unless knot or someone has any idea of what how etc

Linny try this : insert the card into usb via adapter,
go to "run" and type in Cmd" - this will bring up a little black screen.
in here it should read "C:\windows\system32>
where the blinking cursor is type in "chkdsk E:/r" and hit enter
this will re-start the card through dos, let this run for a while and it should find any problems and try and re-build any bad sectors of files, when it is finished you should be able to access of re-format then
give me a shout if this helps or not :)

thanks Knot will give that a go once my pc decides to work today. Its taken almost an hour to load up and try n get on net. Will have to close down start again and come back to this post

Wow magic!!! thanks for that i now have a 4gb sd card again xx

Just shows you - i was gonna bin it but thanks to this forum and you guys Knot in particular something so simple to do if you know what your doing. took less than 5 mins to fix

Last edited:
Back