ISP traffic shape rather than block?

a8ree

I have been struggling with my current provider during busy times. During the CL games and other big sporting events there are loads of drops. During 'normal' times the service runs flawlessly. I've tried my provider with / without VPN and it makes no difference.

I put my issues down to the provider and therefore intended to make a switch. I arranged two trials this week during CL and both had the same issue. During my discussions with one supplier, I was asked if I was running a VPN - which I wasn't. I expected that there would either be a block or not i.e. connect or not. The supplier said his service didn't need a VPN and I shouldn't run one.

When I switched the VPN on, the drops stopped. The service worked fine.

I'm after a multiroom configuration and the supplier I'm looking at would prefer I don't run a VPN - as they will no doubt limit my IP range.

Does anyone know whether my IP could be doing traffic shaping on IPTV rather than just blocking?

Are the web safe turned off some say Vodafone are the worst for throttling others say they have no issues.
Take it you’ve done usual troubleshoot cleared cache rebooted router and device ran speed tests without vpn on

Quite simple again if that supplier dosent want you using a VPN that is upto him.

Terrible for iptv if they get a sniff of you using iptv they will throttle you. You can do all the standard stuff. The good news is they will let you out of your contract if you complain enough.

Terrible for iptv if they get a sniff of you using iptv they will throttle you. You can do all the standard stuff. The good news is they will let you out of your contract if you complain enough.
Make sure you go out of the country with the VPN also mate when using one

Are the web safe turned off some say Vodafone are the worst for throttling others say they have no issues.
Take it you’ve done usual troubleshoot cleared cache rebooted router and device ran speed tests without vpn on
Yep, safeweb is off
and tried rebooting also

Does anyone know whether my IP could be doing traffic shaping on IPTV rather than just blocking?

Nobody apart from your ISP can answer that, and no doubt they'll say they aren't.

I suffered a similar predicament a few years back, I think with plusnet. I wasn't too far from the end of my contract. I changed ISP and from that day ran all illegal streaming via a vpn and have changed ISP again since without any repeat of the problems. Not to say that it's not your iptv provider(s) at fault though, they might be using the same source for the streams you've had issues with.

I had Vodafone years back and it was horrendous.

A few years later I've gone back to them I needed to save money.

It's been okay now on my second month. I use a VPN where I can.

When I was with them years ago. In the mornings I would have 80mb by 5pm I had dial up speeds.

I have no problem with speed. I get 900mbps down and also 900mbps down. At the TV due to its WiFi interface is 120 each way.
It's consistently low latency, high speed hence my frustrations. If either were poor then I'd understand why I get drops

I use Talkmobile who use Vodafone’s network . I’m in the sticks and it’s the best signal so don’t have a lot of choice about using them. I watched the arsenal city game no problems , at the end of the game the screen went blank , I have 2 different subs and they were both blank , vod worked fine . I put my vpn on and then both subs worked. So trial another sub put in the request that you need to be able to use vpn.

I use Talkmobile who use Vodafone’s network . I’m in the sticks and it’s the best signal so don’t have a lot of choice about using them. I watched the arsenal city game no problems , at the end of the game the screen went blank , I have 2 different subs and they were both blank , vod worked fine . I put my vpn on and then both subs worked. So trial another sub put in the request that you need to be able to use vpn.
A lot of streams will only usually turn on just before then they shut down just after the event so lots seem to think something isn't working at the time so its a cat and mouse game,
You won't need the VPN with some supplier's as they have there own security that will come with the App that they will provide you with,
As for the ISP blocking ive never agreed with as i don't think that's at all fair especially after buying a sub from them but each have their own preferences i suppose .

Talktalk are pretty good until you need customer service that can be challenging.

virgin has been far the most reliable isp I have used but you have to invest in mesh or decent router there WiFi is awful.

Back