Kids n Cars!

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
God i was NOT amused this morning awoke to the sound of a "crunch" around 7.15.
Rushed out the door for my son to say "sorry" he came home, and coz there was someone parked near our drive and its bin day he thought rather than reverse on the drive hes drive on. WELL there is a wall jutting out and he missed! Told him he must have been doing some speed as he has scrapped wall and done lots of damage to bumper. Ive now managed to pull it back and use some ducktape so its driveable as bumper was pushed off and sticking out!
What pissed me off is its a silly avoidable mistake, but as usualy he was to wrapped up in hurrying home to get ready for school. Did tell him its ok as long as he was not hurt, think he was a bit shaken by what hed done! But at the end of the days its a piece of metal that can be repaired ( aprox £300) Id rather pay out thousands n have my son unhurt!!!
heres a few piccies i took this morning
How he managed to get the bumper to fold in on itsself i dont know!
af91f221.jpg

0acbb3a8.jpg

aab16ab3.jpg

c59ed9d4.jpg

told him he now needs to go get a job!!!

Awww the poor lad, but as you say you can replace a car/bumper etc, as long as hes ok, thats the main thing :)

I dread when my son is at this stage (which won't be long :grimacing:) he already when hes washing the cars is moving them up and down the drive lol

He can't wait to get behind the wheel, My nerves will be gone :faint:

Annoying but minor in the bigger scheme of things Linny (y)

You wouldn't repair that over here for any close to £300 so you're not too badly stung.

That really sucks Linny, but glad to hear the kid is ok, if you want to put a major guilt trip on him, every time you walk to the car stand in front of it, stare at the bumper and pretend to dab a few tears from your eyes, I know that's evil LOL!!!!

@icanbe . . . not just evil but pure mammy evil, love it. lol

Linny, hate to be the harbinger of doom, but that looks like the bumber may have to be replaced (which certainly aint cheap over here). the reason for the scrapes being big, is generally panic, instead of stopping dead, people change the steering wheel position and try to steer away, rather than going back where they came from.
hopefully it is lesson learned.
as you say it is more important for him to be alright, but i certainly would be "encouraging" him to get a job to at least help pay for it.

your son is ok which is the main thing, you cant replace him, where as cars come and go, it could have been worse Linny, to repair that shouldnt be £300 i would get that done probably less than £100

he must have hit the wall with consierable force/speed in order to do that much damage to it.

well turns out he drove on drive, then thought hed go back so think he did it when he revered back by putting car on full lock and kitting the wall as he revered back.

Yes needs a whole new bumper.Which is around £100 plus paint and labour, and a local garage has said £300 to supply spray and fit! The garage has told me that rather than a vauxhall part they can get a cheapaer part that fits etc. Local Vauxhall dealer told me £250 Just for the part. Rang the breakers yard and was told a new bumper to fit that car would be £100 + vat and thats without it being sprayed! so yes £300 sounds good.
Going to now ring up a few more garages.
oh well bang goes me gardener lol! was getting someone round to cut down the trees but that will have to wait now!
As i told him no point in crying over it. Hopefully its taught him something!

wheelo think it might be a good idea for him to contact the local bus garage for a job LOL!

at least then the damage would all be to the other vehicle/object that he hits. maybe you could buy yourself a cheap single deckerlol

or one of these

tank-experience-pic.jpg

not having much luck! rang a few more garages and they told me to contact dealer to find out how much a bumper is and that they'd then spray and fit for around the £200 mark so if bumper is £250 and it may also need new brackets were talking around the 500 mark.
George and his mate have just driven ( oh god!) to the garage that quoted me £300 and taken my phone with piccies on so they can see how it looked before i tapped it up. Looks good with black duck tape lol!
oh Wheelo If he had one of those i'd have no bloody house left lol! Thankfully hes not damaged the brickwork on the side of the house, otherwise i might have screamed at him lol!

well they say these things come in 3's my neighbours lad has had 2 accidents in the last month! 1st was a non fault but 2nd he skidded into the back of a van in wet weather. Luckily again he was not hurt but very shaken, but car i think might be a right off - similar car to ours but in silver and a year older so worth less and as im sure the labour on it would be high , new bumper new bonet - which cant be opened so god knows what damage has been done.
so yup 3 accidents - hopefully there wont be any more!
Ours luckily wont need to go via the insurance, but my neighbours sons car 2 claims in less than 2 months - he is only 18 and been driving less than a year so OUCH!!! when his renewal comes up in the next few months!!

Last edited:
e3d23f64.jpg

looks as good as new with ducktape LOL!

george took it and guy has given him a written quote for £270, so im pleased with that - he can also give it a full service for £160. Yet main dealers want £250 Just for the plastic bumper!
so now he owes me LOTS of coffee favours and housework :):)

Glad you got things sorted out Linny.Sorry to hear about the accident,as you say your son is ok.That is main thing.God Bless Linny.Hope this does not make your son nervous about driving,just a little more careful;) Good luck Linny:)

another rip off glad George is safe and sound, have you a scrappy near you linny should beable to pick a bumper up cheaper than £250.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/lizardlover_2007/e3d23f64.jpg
looks as good as new with ducktape LOL!

george took it and guy has given him a written quote for £270, so im pleased with that - he can also give it a full service for £160. Yet main dealers want £250 Just for the plastic bumper!
so now he owes me LOTS of coffee favours and housework :):)

not bad looking now eh lol

you can re-spray it yourself as well, i did my own bumper, repaired it and sprayed it, saved a whole lot of money on it.

another rip off glad George is safe and sound, have you a scrappy near you linny should beable to pick a bumper up cheaper than £250.

must be way cheaper than the quotes being branded about

thanks guys. Dee tried the breakers but they got none that are any good and they have to order one in and it would be £100 + Vat and need to be sprayed.
@ J4v3d lol might sound like a good idea to you but me and my son and a tin of paint lol! it would go everywhere plus a lot quicker n cheaper to get it done by a professional, hubby could do it But its time! plus got no where to be able to do it other than in the garden, and lets be fair we just dont know what the wearter is gonna do, And if its done wrong its hard work to rub down n start again!
Thanks for your concern etc peeps!! xx hes 18 next week lol! erm think hes just spend his b'day money heehee!!!!

Added after 7 minutes:

That really sucks Linny, but glad to hear the kid is ok, if you want to put a major guilt trip on him, every time you walk to the car stand in front of it, stare at the bumper and pretend to dab a few tears from your eyes, I know that's evil !!!!

oh ive done the guilt trip ( nasty mummy :) ) i have mentioned that we were going to go away end of april for my birthday and our anniv but cant afford it now LOL! - ok i tell the truth wanted to go to london that weekend BUT some twit is getting married on the friday and hotels are either booked or double the price, so decided not to go - but dont stop me mentioning it heeheehee!!!!
ah poor sod does feel bad!! but its a lesson learnt. He went to school and told his mates and they all said HOW can you do that much damage whilst on your drive!! most kids have accidents on the road by hitting silly things or other vehicles, oh no not My son - he has to be different :)
Decided to take it in 2mora to book the appt and pay the deposit, then they will come round to us take the bumper off and thne when new one is sprayed up etc i will take it in for them to fix it. So at least we will have the car to use - just no front bumper. Not that i think ill use it much over the weekend as hubbys at home and ill have my car to use! But quicker i get it done the better!

Last edited:
If you ever get to download? "Police, Camera, Action - The Fast and the Furious (S06E02)"

That will but everything into perspective fairly quickly.

-

you sound like a cool mum Linny, if it was my mum all hell would break loose

Thanks, i like to think we are reasonable parents, no point in screaming over it whats done is done! And he was not hurt ( nor did he involve anyone else) so just grateful.
Got to love 200mph tape (that's what we call duct tape over here) it's fixes everything !!!!!!!
i notice in the states they have some in green they call gorilla tape! lol!
yup strong tape fixes everything :) and now you can get it in so many colour ways you see it a lot on older cars heeheehee!!

Gman Yes we see a lot of those type of programmes over here includes footage from all over the world! Some you wonder HOW they got a license and others well, lucky to be alive!

Last edited:
exactly Linny, some of the things these drivers do are just outrageous, no consideration to the public's safety or their own.

Hey Linny I just had an idea, why don't you just buy various colours of duct tape and cover the whole car kinda like one of those hippie vans from the 60's LOL!!!!!!

Back