Leaving Sky Q - New receiver options

Hi everyone, new here and leaving Sky Q and investigating options here (lots of reading done and lots more to do!) I currently have wideband only LNB and wonder if any one the below receivers will work with ths LNB or if I need alternative / swap LNB?

OCTAGON SF8008​

Gigablue UHD UE 4K​

I only have requirements for sat as have no TV aerial, but would like to explore IPTV also. Only looking to hook up the one receiver and wont need to record multiple progs, but would like timeshift etc.
The Arris Freesat boxes are around £150 no hdd and £250 with hdd, so ideal budget c£200. I have internal SSD and NAS already if beneficial.

Many thanks in advance.

You'll probably need a normal LNB but should be easy to change over yourself if you can get at it easy.

Look into Sly SD sub for those box's the picture quality might be a little poor compared to what we get these days but it will be nice on those box's to have . If buying another sat reveicer i'd buy the gt media V8UHD and get HD UK channels. £60 atm for the box on ebay and around £30 for a year on mars .

Or you could just get IPTV on 1 device and you'll not need any dish / areial as a good sub will have everything free and paid uk and loads of other goodies.

I use a vu duo 4k in my main room and have a Gigablue Uhd Ue 4k with internal hdd in the bedroom and even next to the duo I think it is a very decent quality box for money. I run sat and IPTV on it and it runs both perfectly.

Hi everyone, new here and leaving Sky Q and investigating options here (lots of reading done and lots more to do!) I currently have wideband only LNB and wonder if any one the below receivers will work with ths LNB or if I need alternative / swap LNB?

OCTAGON SF8008​

Gigablue UHD UE 4K​

I only have requirements for sat as have no TV aerial, but would like to explore IPTV also. Only looking to hook up the one receiver and wont need to record multiple progs, but would like timeshift etc.
The Arris Freesat boxes are around £150 no hdd and £250 with hdd, so ideal budget c£200. I have internal SSD and NAS already if beneficial.

Many thanks in advance.
Both good choices

Octagon - Budget

UHD-UE coupled with a Unicable LNB will give you 8 tuners 6 virtual.

Many thanks. Looks like good option as although I will use IPTV, wife / family will need to be able freesat type channels easily. Now to sort IPTV options!
I'm no expert on satellite but you did say in your OP that you have no requirements for recording etc, so I'm not sure having multiple tuners is a necessity in your case

If you already have a hdd and a NAS and can stretch your budget a bit @ferret's premium option is spot on.

View attachment 94381 View attachment 94382
I could never get my head around demodulators and virtual tuners!
How many sat feeds does this box need? And how many recordings can it do at once? I have 2 boxes H7 and mutant hd 51 and with multiple recording and viewing at the same time have to switch boxes or record on one and watch on another with 4 feeds!

How many sat feeds does this box need? And how many recordings can it do at once? I have 2 boxes H7 and mutant hd 51 and with multiple recording and viewing at the same time have to switch boxes or record on one and watch on another with 4 feeds!
At a very basic level one Unicable LNB with a single run of coax into the UE gives you 8 tuners.

ok record eastenders at 7:30, corry at 8pm and watching something else. with a twin tuner you could get a clash and corro would not record because all tuners are tied up. with multiple virtual tuners/demodulators that isn't a problem. Yes, could record corry at 9pm in +1 but everytime you set an autotimer you have to think and check if it clashes with something else, with virtual tuners you can just set to record and not worry about it clashing with anything else.

Thanks everyone, this has been so helpful. One probably stupid question... if using the Gigablue, can you create a channel list / favourtes combining both sat and IPTV sources as per user selection into single list / EPG filter?

At a very basic level one Unicable LNB with a single run of coax into the UE gives you 8 tuners.
Ok so would I have to change my 8 LNB?
Or one feed from my present set up would give me multiple recording?

ok record eastenders at 7:30, corry at 8pm and watching something else. with a twin tuner you could get a clash and corro would not record because all tuners are tied up. with multiple virtual tuners/demodulators that isn't a problem. Yes, could record corry at 9pm in +1 but everytime you set an autotimer you have to think and check if it clashes with something else, with virtual tuners you can just set to record and not worry about it clashing with anything else.
I get that, as I use two boxes for viewing.and recording, at the moment if there are too many recordings iPlayer or IPTV comes in.

to be on the safe side, it is best to record corry on itv 1hd,, itv1 and itv1 + 1 just in case any of those recordings fail :LOL:

Ok so would I have to change my 8 LNB?
Or one feed from my present set up would give me multiple recording?
you need a unicable lnb and a box with an fbc tuner

Thanks everyone, this has been so helpful. One probably stupid question... if using the Gigablue, can you create a channel list / favourtes combining both sat and IPTV sources as per user selection into single list / EPG filter?
yes, it is the same as any other e2 box. using this method, you could add another recording of corry from the itv1 stream

to be on the safe side, it is best to record corry on itv 1hd,, itv1 and itv1 + 1 just in case any of those recordings fail :LOL:

you need a unicable lnb and a box with an fbc tuner

yes, it is the same as any other e2 box. using this method, you could add another recording of corry from the itv1 stream
So the answer was to change LNB to uni able before changing swapping my E2 boxes for the Gigablue FBC box.
Her indoors has used catch-up on IPTV for Corrie

So the answer was to change LNB to uni able before changing swapping my E2 boxes for the Gigablue FBC box.
Her indoors has used catch-up on IPTV for Corrie
yes, change the lnb to unicable and then buy the gigablue fbc box

your current boxes will still work with the unicable lnb by the way

That's good, I have a sat feed into bedroom for Freesat old mini sky box.
So would it be preferable to have more than one feed from uni cable lnb to Gigablue? And are they easy to set up

You use splitters with a unicable lnb. One feed from the lnb and then a splitter to take it to various boxes.

Not sure if the sky box will work with it, I think some of the old hd ones do from what I have seen on other forums, but cannot say for certain. But, I guess you could just move one of your other boxes there. Another option is to use the remote tuner function and thus you could put your boxes anywhere and just stream from the gigablue.

That's good, I have a sat feed into bedroom for Freesat old mini sky box.
So would it be preferable to have more than one feed from uni cable lnb to Gigablue? And are they easy to set up
with a gigablue with fbc tuners you only need to connect cable to one tuner then link tuner b to tuner also with a unicable lnb you only have one cable then if you need to feed other recievers you just add a splitter each reciever has seperate source from unicable lnb

Also you can get unicable lnb's with legacy ports i have a gtsat one with two legacy ports one did feed my old sky box at one time but don't think i would work with sky q box

Attachments

• Unicable II LNB SCR24_1.JPG
    Unicable II LNB SCR24_1.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back