MAC address-different when connected via ethernet/WiFi?

space54

Hi guys,

As per title I'm fairly sure that the MAC address of my smart TV changes if the wifi connection is disconnected in favour of direct ethernet hardwire. Does anyone have any experience of whether making such a change cuts off IPTV reception?

Logically you would think it should, but I have a vague recollection of trying both during a trial sometime ago (before I even knew of the MAC address issue) and they both worked-if my memory serves me correctly, or am I remembering this all wrong-more than a possibility!!

Cheers
Keith

The siptv 'frequently asked ouestions' section contains the following extract which seem to answer your queery. Each TV has 2 MAC addresses (1st is WiFi, 2nd is Ethernet) and a 2nd MAC is activated automatically after you switch to another connection type and restart the app. So it appears you can use either connection just reboot the app on change.

You will be paying your supplier for a device so whatever device is live should work.

So I only pay for one device but I have 2 boxes obviously with different MAC's. Whichever one i switch to will cut the previous one off.

Yes Leemo, unlike a Magbox the Mac address is not relevant to the supplier, in this case as you are using links or m3u lists on any number of devices (one at once with one line). The 2 mac addresses that can be generated by the siptv app, one for wi fi one for ethernet are identifiable to the TV. So in this instance the mac addresses are of interest to siptv who own the licence.

Many thanks to Taylerlee and Leemoo for swift replies! My supplier has "allowed" me to connect 3 smart TV's with the proviso that only one at a time is watched-however he did request the MAC address of each and certainly I recall that the "3rd" set didn't work until he had been given this. I'm hoping that my supplier will see the 2 MAC addresses as "equivalent" and relating to the same TV if I make the connection change.

Interesting, I have never had to give my mac address to a supplier inrelation to a smart TV connection. I would have thought he/she would be more interested in your IP address? that more of an indication you are to coin a phrase 'pulling a stroke'.

My smart tv has 2 separate Mac addresses one for WiFi one for ethanet I think every device that has wifi and ethanet has 2 mac address so will change when using either of them

EVERYTHING THAT CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET HAS A UNIQUE mac ADDRESS,
sorry, ^^^^^^^
so your wifi connects, and has a MAC address
your ethernet is a different 'device' , so has its own unique MAC
my phone has 2 SIMs in it, each SIM has a different MAC , its not the 'thing' that has a MAC address, its the connection point that has the MAC

Dont think anyone is disagreeing with you steptoe

no,
I'm just trying to point out why your MAC address can change when using the same TV, or STB, or even PC
have a look at a usb wifi dongle, it will have a MAC address, the MAC belongs to the point of connection, not the 'device' that is connected was what I was trying to point out.

I wasnt shouting btw, hence the sorry,
my caps lock was stuck on, :(

No drama, if you read the original question and my response (cut & paste from siptv) I think its in line with what you point out LOL

Back