Multi Sat/motorised dish set up questions

when i set mine up thanks to techkings members,i pointed the dish and motor south,then put the details in the tuner,then go to manual scan,select dvb-s2 for tuner,and single satellite for type of scan,then pick what sat you want to set up on,i picked 0.8w (but you can pick whatever you want),the dish will move to 0.8w and scan,then when its finished start adjusting the dish with the sat meter,if your moveing left or right move the motor with the dish on left or right,up or down just move the dish.then scan again to see if you get more channels.king of sat will show you how many channels should scan in.then scan on satalite 39 east and do the same again adjusting,then scan on 30 w and do the same again.if you set up correctly on the first sat you choose everything should fall into place.

My first attempt has been a failure. The box will only recognise my communial sly dish. When i connect the motor dish either in tuner A or B i get a blue screen . I think i need to reload the wooshbuld as i feel there may be a conflict somewhere. Possibly because i preset the channels and bouquets on my diseqc multi lnb system and then tried to reconfigure the tunners.

Have a few more qustions to ask. Is it a must that i tune into 0.8w first. Can i start at a diferent satellite such as 9E, 13E, ir 19E all if which pull in good signals. 0.8w is marginal with the dish im usi g. Just a few transponders available. If i started at 9e would the dish still be able to move to 13,19,23,28e.
Also what is tbe postioner set up for . How do i use it. What is the difference between GOTO 0 and go to X. How do i set up 0 and X
How do you set a satellite posion in the positioner menu. Im a bit confused on how to get the dish to move from one sat to another'

i would start again from the begining with just the motor and dish and reset what ever settings you changed,then point the dish and motor south with a compas,put the details in the tuner,I scan by going to manual scan,pick my sat tuner what is A,Type of scan will be single satelite, then under that is the satelite list to pick where you want the dish to go to.press ok to start the scan and the dish will move to whatever sat you picked and start scanning,Then if you want to move the dish to another satelite after it has scanned, go back to manual scan and select a different sat to scan from the sat list press ok and the dish should move to the next sat to scan.Once you get the dish right you can use autobouquet maker to organise sats and channels.I dont know what postioner is and you can pick what ever sat you want to start with,as long as you start at pointing the dish and motor south and the motor set to 0

I would strongly suggest you separate the processes in your mind. Then deal with them one at a time in the correct order. When you are ready to use USALS post back in the thread. It is important you only use one method of motor/positioner control for now to avoid confusion and frustration. As you are determined to use Diseqc motor controls at the moment (I did not say diseqc switch), it is counter productive to discuss USALS.

Tuner config must match what is attached to the tuner.

Having tremendous problems with setting up this h7 box. First and foremost i cant get a signal in the box when i run the cable through the motor . the dish is looking at 19E. Very clear picture and sound on my meter with cable connected to the motor. However when i connect the same cable to the h7 there is no signal. If i do a auto scan of the tuner under tuner configuration to see what satellite its picking up H7s tells me nothing connected.

however I get 70% signal On my meter as well as TV pictures and sound on my meter, but when I reconnect the cable back to tunner 1 on h7s no signal again.
However If i by pass the motor and go straight from the lnb to tunner 1 or 2 on the zgemma h7s then i get a signal again, but if i run the cable through the motor i loose the signal on the box. But still have signal on the meter. Ive tried two different h7 boxes and both have same issue. Ive tried open atv 6.1 and 6.2 both raw with no builds and then both with wooshbuild . Still no joy. Cannot figure out why this is occuring. Tried different configurations. Ie tried simple setting usuals selecting satellites ect.
Ive tried advanced usuals 1 lnb65 ect no joy. Ive run brand new cable from dish to motor to receiver . No joy. I've fitted brand new f connectors , no joy Just about given up.
Im using a selfsat flat dish 50hd2.
It has two lnb outputs for two receivers but one lnb output doesnt work. But dont see why this should effect the signal especially seeing as if i bypass the meter i get a signal and going through the motor i still get signal picture and sound on my meter. My meter has usuals settings but is battery operated hence cant get motor to move with my little budget but effective meter. Im using a selfsat hh90 motor made for the square flat dish . Just like any other motor apart from no lights. Small and designed for this particular dish. Any help much appreciated

Attachments

• self sat 50.gif
    self sat 50.gif
    380.7 KB · Views: 8
  • back of dish and motor.gif
    back of dish and motor.gif
    291 KB · Views: 7
  • selfsat hh90 motor.png
    selfsat hh90 motor.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • selfsat lnb.gif
    selfsat lnb.gif
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • selfsat lnb specs.gif
    selfsat lnb specs.gif
    273.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
1. Forget scanning. Do not go near scanning at all until the very end. If you want to ignore this advice, say so and we will leave you to your own devices.

2. Establish which port of the LNB is faulty and mark it. Do not use it as you said it is faulty.

4. Perform a reset of the motor. Usually go to 0. Read the manual.

5. Use only one tuner of the receiver. Establish which one it is.

6. Disconnect any signal wires (if applicable) for "not-in-use" tuners.

7. Flash "pure/virgin/clean/clean" OpenATV image again to ensure that we have a "start from zero" situation.

8. Do not restore settings at all.

9. Set "tuner-you -will use" as in picture above. Note the east/west differences. Get your co-ordinates from a map application or
Code:
https://www.dishpointer.com/

10. Once again, disable the tuners not in use. (Set as not configured.)

11. Uninstall the "default sat" plugin from plugin menu.
Menu > Plugins > Red (remove plugins) > Scroll down to settings, expand and execute/run/ok/select "defualt-sat".

12. Restart receiver, it will select first service in existing bouquets. It will then drive the motor.

13. Issue the following command using Putty or console or similar or even through openwebif if your image has it installed. Please paste instead of type. Receiver will be in a halted state, we will have more actions to do.
Code:
init 4 && sleep 10 && rm -rf /etc/defaultsat.tar.gz && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/lamedb* && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.tv && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.radio  && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.del

14. Download the attached lamedb file (it has services on 13,19,23 and 28.2), extract/unrar/unzip/inflate it and send to /etc/enigma2 using an FTP program

15. Issue the following command to restart receiver using Putty or console or similar or even through openwebif if your image has it installed
Code:
init 3

16. Select a service on 19.2. You do not need bouquets at the moment!
Press up (next to OK button)
Green (satellites/reception lists)
Highlight 19.2, expand and select Das Erste as it is FTA.

17. Receiver will drive motor to correct position. It does not matter if you do not have correct signal at the moment.

18. DO NOT TOUCH MOTOR CONTROLS ON THE MOTOR

19. Adjust motor/dish assembly and tweak to get best signal for selected service/satellite. If you connect the signal finder, make sure it does not drive the motor. Press on each edge/corner to see which way to go.

20. Select a service 28.2 and tweak to get best signal.

21. Repeat for 13 east.

22. Add a few services from each satellite into a bouquet. Zap/select/tune to all three to ensure dish tracks the arc properly.

Attachments

• vhan 13_19_23_28.rar
    43.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
1. Forget scanning. Do not go near scanning at all until the very end. If you want to ignore this advice, say so and we will leave you to your own devices.

2. Establish which port of the LNB is faulty and mark it. Do not use it as you said it is faulty.

4. Perform a reset of the motor. Usually go to 0. Read the manual.

5. Use only one tuner of the receiver. Establish which one it is.

6. Disconnect any signal wires (if applicable) for "not-in-use" tuners.

7. Flash "pure/virgin/clean/clean" OpenATV image again to ensure that we have a "start from zero" situation.

8. Do not restore settings at all.

9. Set "tuner-you -will use" as in picture above. Note the east/west differences. Get your co-ordinates from a map application or
Code:
https://www.dishpointer.com/

10. Once again, disable the tuners not in use. (Set as not configured.)

11. Uninstall the "default sat" plugin from plugin menu.
Menu > Plugins > Red (remove plugins) > Scroll down to settings, expand and execute/run/ok/select "defualt-sat".

12. Restart receiver, it will select first service in existing bouquets. It will then drive the motor.

13. Issue the following command using Putty or console or similar or even through openwebif if your image has it installed. Please paste instead of type. Receiver will be in a halted state, we will have more actions to do.
Code:
init 4 && sleep 10 && rm -rf /etc/defaultsat.tar.gz && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/lamedb* && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.tv && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.radio  && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.del

14. Download the attached lamedb file (it has services on 13,19,23 and 28.2), extract/unrar/unzip/inflate it and send to /etc/enigma2 using an FTP program

15. Issue the following command to restart receiver using Putty or console or similar or even through openwebif if your image has it installed
Code:
init 3

16. Select a service on 19.2. You do not need bouquets at the moment!
Press up (next to OK button)
Green (satellites/reception lists)
Highlight 19.2, expand and select Das Erste as it is FTA.

17. Receiver will drive motor to correct position. It does not matter if you do not have correct signal at the moment.

18. DO NOT TOUCH MOTOR CONTROLS ON THE MOTOR

19. Adjust motor/dish assembly and tweak to get best signal for selected service/satellite. If you connect the signal finder, make sure it does not drive the motor. Press on each edge/corner to see which way to go.

20. Select a service 28.2 and tweak to get best signal.

21. Repeat for 13 east.

22. Add a few services from each satellite into a bouquet. Zap/select/tune to all three to ensure dish tracks the arc properly.

Wow. Thank you so much for this very detailed and precise guide. I did not know so much was involved to get a motor working. I set up motorised dishes a long long time ago pre Linux boxes using boxes such as technomate tm540s ect. Was so straight forward back then.
Tell me is this what i need to do on any Linux box with enigma2 or is this just to get the h7s working with a motor. I was on the verge of possibly buying an octagon sf8008 and trying my luck thinking the zgemma maybe lack the power to drive the dish . Reading your instructions think this is something that i need a few hours to do. Again can you advise wether this is Zgemma h7s specific or do the instructions relate to all enigma2 set up.
Once again Thanks so much for taking out the time to give me a step by step guide. Its very much appreciated

Last edited:
All enigma2 receivers will work the same with regards to how they interact with a motorised setup.

The process for all E2 receivers is the same when aligning a motorised dish. Reset motor. Configure tuner, send to a position, align the dish. I have broken the instructions down so you don't miss a step. If you align a motorised dish for USALS in the first place with the technomate 5402, your Enigma2 receiver will work with it as soon as you configure the tuner correctly. This is why I had asked if you want to persevere with diseqc motor controls or not.

Some zgemma boxes do struggle to move a motor, its to do with the PSU not being powerful enough, I know this is not your problem at the minute, but just want you to be aware of it.

Back