Multiswitch - splitting coax cable

zen1th

Okay, so I bought a skybox f3 to use instead of the multiroom sky box but the missus doesn't like it that she has lost a proper epg and ability to record etc.
I was thinking of maybe hooking both up by means of a coax type multiswitch. Only one box would ever be on at one time, but multiswitch would save disconnecting boxes every time.
Will this work, and what kind of multiswitch would I need? The sky box is a sky + box with twin coax going in. The f3 box also has both cables going into it (for whatever reason).
Can someone please help?

Thank you.

something not right on skybox,i dont think it has 2 tuners so if it has 1 why have 2 inputs into box,recheck your set up again,feeds come from lnb on sat dish.

I don't know why it has 2 connections but it works. Thats not really causing me problems though.
I really just needed help with splitting coax via switch.
Cheers anyhow.

Further to this point, why exactly does the f3 have connections available for two coax cables going to the dish?
Cactikid quite rightly mentioned that the f3 does not have twin tuner etc.
any ideas?

if something goes bang,dont forget there is power involved,did you bother looking at the back of the box to see what it says.

did you bother reading the manual that came with box?

Well there was me being really polite and you come straight back with sarcasm.
Thanks very much - I only came on here to learn.
We can't all be experts on satellites.

For anyone that's interested and isn't a genius that knows everything, I have found out from another forum:
It simply passes through the satellite signal (loops it out) to another satellite receiver if you have one... Its a pretty useless way of connecting two seperate satellite boxes to a dish though, its always best for each box to have its own feed direct from the LNB...
mostly used to connect test equipment like spectrum analyzers.

i am not an expert i use sat yes but sat boxes have an input and output,and you dont run 2 feeds to both and that was my point.

is this any use for you.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Zl8iyDlTc

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link.
I will try to do a bit more research on multi switches though, as still need to sort out the problem I was having as per my original question.
I have one line going into my sky+ box and one into my skybox f3.
I need to find a way of splitting the coax going into the f3 so I can use it to put into the sky+ box so I can use full record features etc. I will only ever have one box powered up at once so figure it can't be difficult - just need the right splitter.
I will figure it out in the end, just thought someone might have been able to help.

you cannot split a sat feed as it will give you problems,how about adding another sat feed,usually sky fit a quad lnb,are the 2 boxes in the same room or are you thinking of moving them around.

The boxes are next to each other.
I thought you could split cable as long as both boxes not powered up at same time.
Not running other feed as moving house next few months.

I used to fit satellite TV which included multi room systems. A multiswitch basically takes 2 feeds into a switch and lets you connect upto 8 recievers on a dual feed LNB, back then there was no such thing as a quad LNB. There not cheap either back then you was looking at £200+ now you can pick one up for about £50+. These days multiswitches are used mainly on flats/apartments as its easier to connect coax into the switch instead of loads of coax coming from the dish.

Oh there is no need for switching one off while watching the other. So you can record on the sky+ box while you have the benefits of the other box.

i was up in a sat shop and asked about a splitter and they said no you cant/should not split a sat feed.not to say that you cant try:whistling:
be warned as they are powered units involved so if you try and it blows up you were warned:eyes:

Code:
http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/SP2202.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.summitsource.com/2-way-2-ghz-satellite-splitter-all-port-passing-channel-master-dc-passing-satellite-combiner-power-divider-bidirectional-uhf-vhf-video-signal-tv-antenna-high-frequency-9502150-mhz-part-2202ifd-p-7032.html&h=576&w=576&sz=54&tbnid=dsGK4DiTOIP9MM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&zoom=1&usg=__uwH7v7x59kK0BZeY71kbxR44axA=&sa=X&ei=gipCUIumNM-JhQeIzoH4CA&ved=0CCkQ9QEwAw&dur=6169

sorry its from ebay i have turned my shed up side down as i thought i had one from my installation days. This info i have read you can't split a sat connection is true you can't just cut a coax and split thats what the multi switch is for, bassically your taking a dual lnb feed into a multi switch the switch then takes the h from one feed and then the v feed from the other then lets you switch then into multisat connections as used in most modern apt buildings.

Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SW38-Multiswitch-Satellite-TV-Dish-3-8-out-SW3x8-/220338764677?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item334d36bb85

People,

No more direct hyper-linking to 3rd party sites :no no:

In future please put link url's between code tags.

Back