My First Build

rtm27

VIP Member
Greensman......I think it's time for me to start building a new comp for me. I want to spend, if I can, around $1,000 for everything. I do a heavy amount of downloading, so I'm gonna need something with a large HDD, a quality video card, a strong processor, and I'm debating on if I want to add a blu-ray burner to it.

I have plans on picking up the parts over the next month or so, as I'm gonna use my income tax to fund most of this.

I'm on newegg alot window shopping, so anyone with advice or suggestions is appreciated.

Greensman......I think it's time for me to start building a new comp for me. I want to spend, if I can, around $1,000 for everything. I do a heavy amount of downloading, so I'm gonna need something with a large HDD, a quality video card, a strong processor, and I'm debating on if I want to add a blu-ray burner to it.

I have plans on picking up the parts over the next month or so, as I'm gonna use my income tax to fund most of this.

I'm on newegg alot window shopping, so anyone with advice or suggestions is appreciated.

You're tying me hands... only a $1000... lol. Is this just for the case and contents or does this include Monitor, Keyboard, and mouse??? I'll do the "quote" for TOWER only and then see what you think... :grin:

Last edited:
Well, I have a brand new 21.5" widescreen HD/LCD monitor to replace the one that went poof a while ago.

Monitor I Purchased

The keyboard and mouse I will get on my own.

In the words of Joe Friday, "Just the guts, mam.....just the guts."

Holy Cow... it's been to long since I did this. lol.

CASES
Cases w/ FREE shipping $79.99

Lian Li Lancool $99.99

Antec 300 $69.99

ODD's

Sony AD-2471 $27.99 each

BR ODD

3 to choose from $79.99

Intel MOBO's

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! $159.99

Intel CPU

i5-750 Lynnfield $199.99

RAM

4 choices... $100

PSU

6 to choose from $100

GPU (video card)

3 to choose from $69.99-$84.99

CPU cooler

Artic Cooling 7 Pro $35 ... there are better coolers out there but for the MONEY this one CAN'T be beat. ;)

HDD's

WD 500 $69.99

Samsung 320 and 1TB $49.99 & $89.99

Hitachi 1TB $89.99

I know I forgot some stuff I'm sure but here's a start on the system you maybe looking at/for. It's about $1000, a little over actually if you go with the upper end recommended components and 2 HDD's. I would go with a 250GB-500GB HDD for your OS and then have the 1TB or more for storage of your files. ;)

Good luck to you and I hope that others have some input. I tried to choose GOOD products and whenever possible "get" FREE shipping. :) I'm sure there are others that will know more about a video card... I'm not sure you needed something so powerful but hey that's ok.. same with your PSU.. I like more power, even if you don't use it now you might in the future.. Just because you have a 1969 GT500 Mustang doesn't mean you have to race it around the track everyday!! ROFL

AGain good luck and looking forward to the "help" you get here!! :drink:

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

oh... btw I didn't include a BR writer... I think they're a waste of money at this time personally... I did however include some nice readers that would get you really what you want.. a file on ye computer to be able to "encode" and then put on DL or SL media. :grin:

Last edited:
Aditional cpu cooler, case, and WD HDD from a friend. ;)

Scythe Mugen from Jab-Tech $38

Antec 900 $110

WD 1TB HDD

btw the COrsair 750TX for $95 after rebates and such is a HARD power supply to beat. :grin:

He liked the Patriot RAM and also said anything OVER 1333 speed is wasting time and money. ;) So that narrows ye RAM choices down. :p

I personally like either MOBO, so NO wrong choices their. :) I also like the LG BR reader, remember its for READING NOT burning.... so I wouldn't try to burn with any BR reader you get... it's main function is to transfer a file to ye HDD. ;)

How bout some thermal paste?? forgot to add this to the list.. I've used all but the Ceramique.

How bout this case?? Auzen Bulldozer $105

website for above case - AUZENTECH

Last edited:
Some nice picks there Greeny....I'm gonna start gettin the pieces around next week. Maybe 1 or 2 at a time. One thing I forgot to mention was what kind of sound card would you or anyone else would recommend......speaker system I can figure out later.

Some nice picks there Greeny....I'm gonna start gettin the pieces around next week. Maybe 1 or 2 at a time. One thing I forgot to mention was what kind of sound card would you or anyone else would recommend......speaker system I can figure out later.

The mobo has 8 channel sound, if you use the correct drivers! If you buy a good 5.1 sound system you'll be a happy camper!!!! :happy:

I just now saw that when I went to check out the mobo's here at work.....teaches me to look and check them out before I comment!!

Depending on how much I have left over after the essentials, I may start ordering this weekend or next weekend......may have more cash left over next weekend.

The GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3P LGA gives you a slightly better Audio Chipset, the Realtek ALC889 as opposed to the Realtek ALC888, plus 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s ports.

For the extra $20 bucks you may as well go with that.

Greensman likes nice parts (y)

-

Just ordered the Cooler Master Storm case and the Arctic Cooling 7 Pro. Will be ordering pieces at a time.

Just ordered the Cooler Master Storm case and the Arctic Cooling 7 Pro. Will be ordering pieces at a time.

That's great bro... if you can swing the WD Black now I'd try to get it... If you do what I think you will I'd get ONE big drive and another NOT so big drive. lol. ;)

Gman seems like a good wealth of knowledge too... don't be afraid to bug him about it as well. :)

Hmmmmm one big drive......why not TWO big drives!! The more the merrier!!

I personally like a smaller drive (250GB-500GB) for an OS drive. That way if you loose your OS or have to re-install then it's NOT so painful. ;)

I personally like a smaller drive (250GB-500GB) for an OS drive. That way if you loose your OS or have to re-install then it's NOT so painful. ;)

While that's a very valid point greensman & many use that method, I prefer to never, ever have to install again regardless of what happens, even if your drives blow up!

I normally use 2 x 1TB drives in stripe RAID mode (even though the system sees it as one large 2TB drive). The system reads from one while writing to the other when crunching, making for a noticeable increase in performance speed wise.

Then once I have the install done & all my little tweaks applied, I image the system using "Acronis True Image". Game over :happy:

-

While that's a very valid point greensman & many use that method, I prefer to never, ever have to install again regardless of what happens, even if your drives blow up!

I normally use 2 x 1TB drives in stripe RAID mode (even though the system sees it as one large 2TB drive). The system reads from one while writing to the other when crunching, making for a noticeable increase in performance speed wise.

Then once I have the install done & all my little tweaks applied, I image the system using "Acronis True Image". Game over :happy:

-

I see yours as a good option too, although I go with the greensman approach. I have an 80gb for my OS drive. I like that it speeds up defragging and just seems less cluttered to me without all my other business mixed in with my OS files. But I also use Acronis to image mine once setup and regularly there after.

I see yours as a good option too, although I go with the greensman approach. I have an 80gb for my OS drive. I like that it speeds up defragging and just seems less cluttered to me without all my other business mixed in with my OS files. But I also use Acronis to image mine once setup and regularly there after.

I deal with that by creating a separate partition on the RAID to accommodate the OS. This is effectively the same as a separate drive(own drive letter) when it comes to de-fragmenting it's even faster than doing it on a second drive due to the read from one and write to the other scenario used by a stripe raid.

At the end of the day it's whatever floats your boat :cheesy grin:

-

I deal with that by creating a separate partition on the RAID to accommodate the OS. This is effectively the same as a separate drive(own drive letter) when it comes to de-fragmenting it's even faster than doing it on a second drive due to the read from one and write to the other scenario used by a stripe raid.

At the end of the day it's whatever floats your boat :cheesy grin:

-

And the boat floating is what counts... lol. ;)

I've been tempted to do as you have Gman but I'm a skerdy kat when it comes to new things with the puter. :p PLUS I is po right now... I like what you said and I need to get me hands on Acronis as I've heard very good things about it!!

Thanks so much for your input and with all of us helping RTM, he doesn't have a chance!!! ROFL

And the boat floating is what counts... lol. ;)

I've been tempted to do as you have Gman but I'm a skerdy kat when it comes to new things with the puter. :p PLUS I is po right now... I like what you said and I need to get me hands on Acronis as I've heard very good things about it!!

Thanks so much for your input and with all of us helping RTM, he doesn't have a chance!!! ROFL

You will love the power of Acronis ;)

I don't know about you greensman? but when I do a clean install of XP, Install whatever security product, do all the updates, install all the little progs I've become accustom to & tweak everything as I like it, it can take anything from 12 to 16 hours (I'm talking a lot of stuff here).

Do the pain once & Acronis can replicate the entire process anytime on any drive in 12 to 15 minutes :grin:

Just one little note to be aware of though?

Acronis True Image overwrites the existing OS in the event that you need to need to restore, it doesn't format the HDD & I don't like that as I believe that a clean install should always be done on a freshly formatted drive.

Enter Acronis Disk Director :happy:

If you have both, True Image & Disk Director you can create a rescue disc from which you boot, reformat & restore your image, absolute magic (y)

Happy days

-

Back