My XBOX Is Stuck In An Update Loop

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
Hey Gang,
Strange question, I got a message from a mate saying that he had downloaded a JTag game from somewhere by mistake (Dead Island). He burned it to disk, tried to play it in his non Jtagged XBox, it froze the XBox.
he then tried to play something else from his collection but the XBox just froze.
Now is this something that might happen, or is it a coincidence that this happened at the same time.
Ihave done some reading about JTagged boxes but ended up more confused. IS there any benefit to jtagging as opposed to flashing the drive??

if Jtagging is the way forward, (he only uses it offline) there is someone offering him one for €200, is this about right??

is there a possibility that he has done something simple that a reflash might solve??

I have the XBox here, but he didn't leave his power supply(his is the one on the left (with hdmi lead) and mine is the one on the right(with HDMI)), so I can't power it on to find any further details.

800px-360jtag-power.jpg

Havent heard anything about that situation myself wheelo, i dont see how it would effect it.
Does it freeze on startup or just when he tries to play a game?
Possible that there may have been an update on the game that failed? Try this guide to clear the cache, maybe that could help. How to Clear Xbox 360 System Cache

I dont know much about the jtag scene and i dont think ill ever get into them myself as there is alot of work involved initially but if i were him i wouldnt get mixed up in it if he has no experience in drive flashing, soldering, modding in general.

Cheers axxxo, won't get the power lead until sunday, so will try to clear the cache then.
I will tell him to steer clear of the Jtag scene, he tells me he is pretty poor at diy/ soldering, etc.

Okay Axxxo, you were spot on, it seems to be an update failure, when you turn on the XBOX, it says "applying update" for about 1 second, then you get this screen

dsc03224x.jpg

when I go to XBOX.com support pages, I find this explanation for the Error/ Status code

unledxow.png

Now the problem that I have is that, he has repeatedly tried to reinsert disc, he even went and hired the original, and couldn't get the update to continue.
I can't get near the dashboard to clear the cache. I imagine that this box would be on the Ban list if it were to be online for any amount of time, but would it be safe enough to attach a lan lead, to try to get it to download the update from microsoft directly??

I have done more research on this and it had nothing to do with the fact that it was a jtagged game, but everything to do with the fact that it was the dead island game, which has an update attached to it.

there seem to be 2 solutions to this,
1. reflash with original firmware, then update using original game, or,
2. flash with the latest firmware (1.9, I believe) then continue with update from the backup disc.

Anyone any opinions on which is the better option??

Also, should I update my XBOX with the latest (1.9) firmware, even though it is always offline?

Its always best to stay up to date with firmware even if the xbox is banned or just for offline.you could try applying the dash update via USB to see if that will help and you wouldn't have to connect to live either, info on that is in the picture you posted :)
Depending on the drive model, the update will flash the drive back to a different stock firmware, which you probably already know. Advice given nearly always just to be safe is to flash back to stock, update dash and then flash back to cfw.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

Last edited:
Okay, so you will be glad that I have found a solution for this one.
I read around and heard that I could download the update from Microsoft and update from a CD/USB/DVD, I downloaded it and tried from both aCD and a USB to no avail.
I read that I could flash back to stock and try again, I did and it didn't work.
I then reflashed to the latest LT 1.9 and tried to update from the Backup Disk that caused all the trouble - AND Bingo, that worked.

So for any one else that comes across this problem, the solution is simple - update your firmware to the latest and then continue with the original disc that started the update.

P.S. can Axxxo, or any other mod please change the thread title to "My XBOX Is Stuck In An Update Loop", as I think that this better describes the problem(now that I know the solution) and would make it easier searched for, I think. Cheers Guys

Glad you got it sorted!
Disc updates with cfw are a nightmare! Have to read about every single one to be prepared!

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

Okay, so my Liteon is working perfectly, but I gave this back to it's owner, and after a day he rings me and tells me it is freezing after about a half hour. So, I take it back and reflash with LT 2.0 and plug it in, it is overheating ( the freezing had nothing to do with the LT1.9 flash I did), so I open it up again, hoover out the whole thing (he keeps dogs, it is filthy), put it back together and the four red lights are flashing.
Is this the red ring of death???, also, I believe there is an easy fix for this, can someone point me in the right direction to a reliable tutorial/video, as there are about ten different ways to cure this according to youtube
Cheers,
Wheelo

Okay, so I am stupid and I acknowledge that - I googled 4 red lights xbox, and guess what, It just means the AV cable isn't connected. I will however check that the hoovering keeps it cool and report back.

OKAY, so I just tried this out and the games keep freezing after about 5 - 10 mins playing, it doesn't seem to be as hot as it was before being hoovered out, is this a usual downhill slide for xbox, and is the solution to buy an external fan, and if so, any reccomendations please??

Last edited:
Id try a different game out on it first, if the same freezing issue still occurs then you can rule out the other disc as a bad burn.

Freezing or green screen would be the same as getting the RROD, you could try xecuters repair kit, some people say its great and worked for them but then xecuter control the reviews themselves dont they ;)

If you can get someone to do a reflow with a proper reflow station then that would be the way to go.

Cheers Axxxo,
I had already tried with several different games, including originals, so I knew it wasn't a bad burn, so what I think you are saying is that even though the three red lights aren't showing, they might as well be as the fault is the same.(from this I presume that the RROD problem is one of overheating).
What is a reflow station and what sort of person would have one?

:Thumbs up:

Back