New cable box. Advice please :)

jumbo81

Hi Guys am looking to buy a new cable box and have a few questions. Had a Eurovox and a dbox2 but that was quite a few years back so bit rusty.

Would appreciate if someone with a bit more knowledge could answer a few questions.

1) When i buy a cable box can i just take live feed out of my Tivo box and connect it to cable box through F coax adapter. Am sure that is all i done with my Eurovox years ago.

2) I don't have an outside aerial, So can't get freeview on my smart TV. Will these boxes still scan and find channels? Have same set up as i did when i had Eurovox and that worked ok.

3) If i buy a combo box for both Sat and cable will these boxes work if i just use the cable side, or do i need to use both sat and cable?

4) Am looking at buying either a Miriclebox HD or Amiko A3 combo. Any advice on which of these boxes i should get?

5) When i by a line, If i decide to buy another box will it work on both boxes or will i need to buy another. One for each box?

Cheers Guys :)

Have a read here

E2 type boxes are probably becoming the most popular type of box lately on the sat or cable side.

Lots of people use the Openvix image (firmware).

Connect your VM cable to your box, most need a little connector like this

ariel.jpg

You will need an Ethernet connection to the box and a line from a cable server

A combo will run, sat, cable or both together.

The line depends on your server, look for one who advertises multiroom
if you want to run two boxes in the same house using one line.

Miraclebox mini hybrid is a nice starter box

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply Bees.

Was looking at Miraclebox on wos. It has a few options. Would i just get it with openvix and leave the other options as not needed. Am not bothered about a hard drive at the moment.

Is the Amiko A3 combo a decent starter box?

Some Amiko models have had weak tuners so the picture pixelates on some channels.

Some have been fine, but I had one and so did my mate.

I used the same VM feed and line in a different box and had no issues, so I put it down to the tuner.

A few cheaper end boxes have similar issues, Q5 boxes for instance.

Miraclebox is much better, or if it's down to money, Mutant HD500 is £20 cheaper, still a good box.

Openvix is the most popular choice, if you are not bothered about recording you will
need a small USB stick to store the EPG on.

Hi guys. Got my Miraclebox today. Need to start Bees guide from the very start again. how do i start wizard again. If i do factory reset will openvix still be on box?

Thanks.

Back