"Newbie" to Openbox V5S and advice needed.

karltin

Hi Guys and Girls,

I am new here so please go easy on me :)

Here is my situation and any advice/help will be greatly appreciated.

I currently have Sky TV, Wi-Fi not from Sky with router and have a Openbox V5S on the way without any "gift" yet. What I want to do is, eventually, get rid of my Sky TV and receive all, if not most, of the Sky Channels via my Openbox V5S but I have a few questions if I may.

1, My Openbox V5S is on the way and when it arrives I plan to test/try it out by simply plugging it in using my existing Sky setup (HDMI from existing Sky Dish, Ethernet connection and Power). I am expecting this to work even though I still have a Sky TV subscription and I want to do this just to make sure I can receive all FTA channels and the Openbox is working. Would this work and will my existing Sky TV be unaffected when I change it back to the Sky TV set-up?

2, If number 1 goes to plan I would like to inform Sky TV that I wish to leave and then I would need to get a "gift" to enable me to receive most of the other channels. Where is the best place to purchase the "gift", multiroom if possible, and what is the price for a reliable "gift" as I have heard so many horror stories about eBay "gifts" and others that only work for a limited time.

3, The Openbox V5S I have coming claims to be installed with the latest firmware (not sure what this actually is but I know it is important) but how do I know it is the latest and where, when and how do I update it to the latest version if I need to?

4, The supplier has also informed me that the Openbox V5S has a Nline instead of a Cline but again I am not sure what this actually is but I know it is important. What is the difference and how do I know it has an Nline or a Cline?

5, I have also heard many horror stories about clone or fake Openboxes........how would I know if the one I have coming is genuine?

6, I would like to record but I know this can only be done using a USB stick or hard drive with the V5S therefore can anyone give me any recommendations or advice about this?

7, I currently have Multiroom with my existing Sky in the bedroom and I would eventually like the same setup should I get my first Openbox in the living room up and running. I am told that another Openbox can be installed in the bedroom and a certain "gift" packages come with multiroom so it would just be a case of buying another Openbox for the bedroom. Is this correct?

8, If 7 is correct I am also told that I would need a "homeplug" and was advised that the TP-Link version of this is a great device. Is this correct and is this what I need to enable 7?

9, I have seen so many channel lists and I saw one on youtube that was fantastic where all the categories (Docs, Kids, Entertainment, Sports etc) where listed in the centre of the screen and when selested all their channels are displayed on the right of the screen. Is this what you can get with the "gift" and it is as easy as plug and play instead of downloading the latest channel list?

10, What is Ccamb and do I need this or need to know about it?
Sorry for all the questions but we all have to start somewhere and I am told the best thing to do is ask if you do not know or :butkiss:therefore I am doing both.

I really hope anyone and everyone can help me out as I would hate to cancel my existing Sky and end up with nothing I am hoping for.

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to all replies.

Thanks again.

Back