No internet conection

I lads i was helping a friend with his Fujitsu siemens xp pro laptop that was running so slow i think it was going backwards i couldn't do anything with it not even in safe mode,so i used the kaspersky rescue CD and it worked fine finding virus,worms,Trojans and adware then i used malwarebytes from a usb stick and found some more,PC is running quick smart now but for one thing i cant connect to the net the wireless not working and when i try connect directly through the cable its wont work.so i go to device manger and under Network adapters 11 are yellow so i try update them but no good,i uninstall and then reinstall i get the (found new hardware wizard install the software automatically recommended)( a box pops up the file bcm4sbxp.sys' on broadcom 440x10/100 integrated controller install disc is needed,
type the path where the file is located and then click OK,

copy files from
ointergratednetworkcontrollerlan/lan/drivers/WinXP browse

i press OK but noting happens

when i cancel i get another box that says cannot start hardware
click finish.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Hi paddybongo,
Did the Internet connection previously work.. If it did it sounds like it has lost some of the drivers. This may have been a result of one of the Trojans\viruses.

The first thing to do is to get Device manager clean. You will need to get the serial number or notebook model of the laptop and go to the Fujitsu site here and select your friends laptop, and download and install the missing drivers.

Once device manager is clean, try again and post result bud.

Last edited:
Could you go to Start | Run | Type in dxdiag and click 'Yes' if it asks you to and tell us what the exact make and model is?

Seems as though you might just be missing the correct drivers for the hardware to work correctly.
The information required is the 'System Manufacturer' and 'System Model'.

Hi paddybongo,
Unfortunately if you can't give us the make\model of the laptop, it will make it very hard for us to help you. As dan-ger-ous kindly stated, rud dxdiag and find the model of the laptop. Or look at the bottom of the laptop, and there will be a label stating what the model is, something like this The more information you can give us from the label\Labels the better. Then maybe we can point you in the right direction where to download the drivers.

All you have to do is enter that serial No Here paddybongo.

Download initially the LAN and WLAN (you will have to accept the terms and conditions then click the box DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE).

Once downloaded create a seperate folder for each downloaded zip file, and put one zip file in each folder.

Open any one of the folders, RIGHT click the zip file and select EXTRACT HERE. once it has extracted you will see a few files and folders.

double click on the SETUP.EXE to install the driver.

Repeat the process for the second zip file in the other folder.

When done check device manager is clean, then try your internet. If you need any other drivers to clean up device manager, then download and install them using the same pricess.

Good Luck paddybongo.

Iv gone to the site and downloaded them LAN WLAN for this model,in device manger they look to be fine but wireless dosent work and wireless light dont come on,this laptop was origenley loaded with xp home now iv loaded xp pro so dont think xp pro is compatable whit there drivers.

Iv gone to the site and downloaded them LAN WLAN for this model,in device manger they look to be fine but wireless dosent work and wireless light dont come on,this laptop was origenley loaded with xp home now iv loaded xp pro so dont think xp pro is compatable whit there drivers.

Have you tried to restart the system after successfully installing the drivers.

Glad to see you are getting somewhere paddybongo, that is a good suggestion from dan-ger-ous, if that does not work, after doing a bit of research on the laptop, you may have to download and install the POWER MANAGEMENT utility found in the Tools and Utilities section of the download area that you are now farmiluar with. This will be the next step.

Also without stating the obvious have you a switch to switch the wireless on, or a button sequence like FN + F2.

Is the wired connection working now paddybongo?

PS: Drivers are the same for XP pro as Home.

Last edited:
Hi paddy, as jodav has said already did the internet/wireless work before all this happened?

If i were you id just do a reinstall, the virus damage alone could have destroyed so much not to mention what was deleted with kaspersky.
Save whats needed to external, scanning everything as you go and reinstall.

The steps taken so far should really have helped to get it back running again if it did work in the first place.
I dont think there's much else to do in this case other than checking to see if the wireless card is connected properly but since the LAN does not work either i dont think there's much else to do really.
Reinstall the home version with its original key

You could also check your internet settings are set to obtain IP address and DNS automatically.

If you do not know your original key, then run this program and make a note of it before you re-install:

Code:
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

[choose the freeware version]

Have you checked to see if the pci card has come loose from it's connection? (slot)
Flip over the laptop and remove the cover and make sure the card is seated properly.
Also try checking any firewalls you have running, it's a long shot but they could also be blocking you internet connection.

yes iv restarted after downloading drivers,and now iv just realised iv no sound

Added after 3 minutes:

yes wired internet is workin now,

Last edited:
yes wired internet is workin now,

Good stuff, at least we have got somewhere paddybongo :) As far as the sound goes you will probably need to download the Audio driver from the link. If you have still got yellow warning signs etc in device manager, i would suggest getting them sorted first, If you do not know what they are (unknown device etc), just download the rest of the drivers (Chipset, Graphic, memory card reader, modem) and install them one at a time until device manager is clean, you can not damage anything doing this, we need device manager clean paddybongo.

I also notice there are two WLAN drivers, do you know which card you have, if not you may have to try them one at a time, bit of trial and error.

It will not do any harm also if you connect to the Net wired to see if windows update has any Hardware updates to install.

You do not mention if you installed the power management utility?

See how you get on and let us know Bud. Good Luck

yes i downloaded power management and wlan,LAN and realtek drivers and sound is fine now but still no wireless,but Internet is working over cable and wireless is working through a netgear wireless usb adapter,device manager is still showing Mass Storage controller,Pci modem and video control VGA.

OK you are getting there paddybongo. You need to do ALL of the following.

1- Download and Install the Graphic driver from the same place you got the other ones, using the procedure you used previously.
2- Download and Install the Chipset driver from the same place you got the other ones, using the procedure you used previously.
3- Download and Install the Memory card reader from the same place you got the other ones, using the procedure you used previously.
4- Download and Install the Modem driver from the same place you got the other ones, using the procedure you used previously.
5- Go to the OTHER option on the download list, then Installation paper, then download the WLAN Installation Guide Windows XP ENG. This will show you where the button is to switch the Wireless card on (just above the F8 keyboard switch) and the set-up procedure. It verifies that you MUST HAVE the power management installed.

When you have done all of the following, your graphics should be much better, try your wireless. If it is still a problem let us know if

1 Device manager is clean.
2 you can see your wireless card under NETWORK ADAPTERS in device manager

Thanks lads for all your help i got it sorted,like brand new again thanks.i uninstalled all the drivers i had loaded and reinstalled them working fine now.
THANKS.

Back