No Service Pack 2 coming for Windows 7?

HiTecK

Administrator
Staff member
windows-7-sp1.jpg

According to a new report, Microsoft will not release a second service pack for Windows 7.
Instead of packaging everything into a service pack, Microsoft will just continue to patch every month until support for the OS comes to an end.

The software giant has not confirmed nor denied the report, so it is unclear whether the new move will be a standard moving forward with Windows 7 and the new Windows 8.

Looking backwards, Windows XP launched in 2001 and saw its first SP one year later. SP2 was released in 2004, followed by service pack patches and then finally SP3 in 2008, a year before the launch of Windows 7.

Vista got SP1 in 2008, a year after launch, and SP2 in 2009. Windows 7 got its first, and possibly only SP, in 2010.

I suppose Windows 7 was so stable it didn't really require much tweaking?

If you delve deep enough into the file structure of Win 7 you will find a lot of Vista files lurking there & that is why I always referred to Windows 7 as being Windows Vista fixed.

As much as I hated Win Vista it actually was very advanced & part of me still believes that the public wasn't ready for it & Microsoft didn't provide the hassle free front end that they could have? What I mean by that is this, if a customer buys a new car with Hi end state of the art technology both under the hood and under the dash, they don't necessarily have to know what's going on to appreciate the feel good drive factor. Microsoft screwed up by making aspects of the engine of Vista to visible to the end user. They actually masked a lot of that to repackage it as Win 7, something they should have done in the first place, God knows they had 10 years to get it right!

With the declining sales of PC's as we know them Microsoft now find themselves behind in the world of "Devices", Yes, devices is the new replacement word for what Microsoft called PC's, they are gearing themselves up to get a portion of the tablet, phone & that5 is what caused the dramatic revamp of their OS, Windows 8 launches tomorrow and it is without doubt a major move away from the PC based OS we have all become accustomed to. I think it is very foolish of them to not include the ability to activate the traditional start button for those who wish to use the new OS on the conventional Desktop.

I wonder how long they will support 7?

-

Hmmm, I have a copy of windows 8 (touch screen version), they are going to have to move fast to keep up, other OS are now becoming equal if not better than windows, I have been playing with Linux recently, ok its been a good 10 years since I look at it last, I am impressed a lot more plug and play now. Also the android world is moving fast, as for apple , who knows, I like the way they market things, you can buy there products and dont have to do much with them only use them, as they do exactly what you want, but whats next, I know tablets are the next big thing, but what is after the tablet?. Who can guess :?

sorry yes all touch screen, but you could put a command in to make it like windows 7, but I believe MS are now editing that command out.

Back