openVPN with my h2s issue

##### OpenVPN Zgemma H2S Wooshbuild V5 #####

Install OpenVPN
Menu>Setup >System>Network>OpenVPN <Install>

If you get the message like I did "sorry feeds are down for maintenance. please try again later"
Dont waste your time retrying.

Telnet on to your box (plenty of guides in here)
Login and run the command: opkg install openvpn

PIA / OpenVPN files and Configuration
Download: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip

Extract and Save as Openvpn Config
Take a copy of the country you want to pop out of ie. <county>.conf
Open/Edit the copied file in Notepad++

tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass <<-- edit this line only
comp-lzo

to read:
auth-user-pass pass.txt <<-- 1 space after pass

Save as ... Client.conf

Create a new .txt file called pass.txt with ONLY your VPN credentials on 2 lines (no additional spaces)

Username
Password

Create a folder on your desktop called openvpn
Within the folder you will need 4 files:
Client.conf
pass.txt
ca.rsa.2048.crt <-- your providers certs from the Openvpn Config
crl.rsa.2048.pem <---your providers certs from the Openvpn Config

FTP the files via your FTP Client ie Filezilla to etc/openvpn

Start OpenVPN
Menu>Setup >System>Network>OpenVPN>Start (or Auto Start)

To confirm success
Telnet or ssh on to your zgemma box and run: curl http://checkip.dyndns.com/
The result should be the IP of your selected VPN and not your routers external IP

Hope this help a few users in the near future.

Hey having some trouble. Done the telnet bit (on Mac via terminal) but am getting the following:

root@zgemmah2s:~# opkg install openvpn

Installing kernel-module-tun (4.10.6) on root.

Installing openvpn (2.4.3) on root.

Removing any system startup links for openvpn ...

Configuring kernel-module-tun.

Configuring openvpn.

Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/openvpn.

Starting openvpn: FAILED-> Client.

Last edited:
Hi this file isn't in the extracted folder. The first one is but this one isn't, is it needed and if so where can I find it.

crl.rsa.2048.pem <---your providers certs from the Openvpn Config

My mistake found it. thanks.

Hey guys,

Sorry to hijack this, I didn't want to start another thread about it.

I've followed the following walkthrough to a T, getting to the point where I get to the OpenVPN Setup.

https://www.tech2guides.co.uk/how-to-setup-vpn-on-enigma2-openatv/amp/

Unfortunately when I go into OpenVPN Setup, I get a message telling me that I'm not connected to the internet. I'm hardwired into the router and network test shows connected.

I'm using iPab, anyone got any ideas?

It will be the config file - something will be incorrect!

Can you tell me if anything is wrong with this?

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote ams-a05.ipvanish.com
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
auth-nocache
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
ca ca.ipvanish.com.crt
verify-x509-name ams-a05.ipvanish.com name
auth-user-pass login.txt
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth SHA256
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-DSS-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA

I have the login.txt set up correct

Open putty and connect to your box.

Type

openvpn /etc/openvpn/Client.conf (or whatever you named your client.conf file, capital letters matter eg)

It will then attempt to run the VPN and will if it's not working give a log containing errors. Post the error log here and some might be able to help

Open putty and connect to your box.

Type

openvpn /etc/openvpn/Client.conf (or whatever you named your client.conf file, capital letters matter eg)

It will then attempt to run the VPN and will if it's not working give a log containing errors. Post the error log here and some might be able to help

Hey, cheers

I'd done that and got an error with the 433 thing.

I used another VPN server and all seems to have worked.

Cheers again for all the help.

Hi,

Also been having great difficulty getting my IPVanish VPN to run on my ZGEMA H2S. I have followed various threads and guides but none have worked so far.

Ran with Putty as suggested above and got the following error log, can anyone give any help to what the log is telling me?

FreeViewHD login: root
root@FreeViewHD:~# openvpn /etc/openvpn/Client.conf
Options error: --ca fails with 'ca.ipvanish.com.crt': No such file or directory
Tue Jan 2 21:58:43 2018 WARNING: cannot stat file 'password.txt': No such file or directory (errno=2)
Options error: --auth-user-pass fails with 'password.txt': No such file or directory
Options error: Please correct these errors.
Use --help for more information.

You seem to have the correct files in place but the error log says it cannot find them.

Have you followed the guide here:

https://www.tech2guides.co.uk/how-to-setup-vpn-on-enigma2-openatv/
Yes I followed this guide originally with no success then I followed a simplified guide which was very similar although it had a couple of less lines in the conf file which I think are related to providing error logs. It also used password.txr rather than login.txt but other than that was the same.

Ok when you go to

Menu; settings ; network ; openvpn on your box is it green and running?

If so down load an internet speed test plugin, e2speedtest works well (plugins; download; extensions)

If openvpn is green run the speed test and it will find the nearest server. If the VPN is active it will be in a city/country other than your own. I've had error messages in putty when the VPN is fine.

I notice you type

Openvpn /etc/openvpn/client conf in putty to run it.

Try

openvpn /etc/openvpn

It could be that adding client.conf tells the script to look in /etc/openvpn/client.conf for the CRT and password.txt files

Thanks for the suggestions.

When I got to Menu, setup, system, network, openvpn setup I have two lines on the screen for autostart and current status. Current status is showing stopped and the green button at the bottom is titled start. Pressing the green button initially does nothing but after pressing three or four times in succession it changes the status to running. It had previously just been dropping back to stopped after a couple of seconds but after the latest setup remains at running. However if I leave the page and return again immediately it has stopped again.

I downloaded the e2speedtest plugin and tried it and it worked well but each time it states that it is selecting best server based on latency and chooses Sheffield on each occasion. It also states that this is 13.56km away however I am in Glasgow so I don't know what this means.

I really dont think that the vpn is running.

Run e2 speed test when openvpn is red and see if it's the same server and IP address displayed.

Also try a different config from your vpn, one from another country and try the e2speedtest checking the IP and server location.

Finally try ipvanish support with your error logs and config.

Hopefully some ipvanish users on this forum can also help.

The openvpn on my screen just displays running or stopped rather than being green or red but regardless of the status I get the same response from the e2speedtest so this is why I dont believe the vpn is running.

I have tried three separate vpn configs from different countries with no difference in outcome.

Last correspondence from IPVanish below

"Unfortunately, we do not have any official articles available for this device as it is not supported by us. So we are sorry to say that we are unable to help you with this request. "

I will get in touch again with the error logs to see if they can do anything for me.

I appreciate all your help and hopefully there will be some ipvanish users that can also assist.

The openvpn on my screen just displays running or stopped rather than being green or red but regardless of the status I get the same response from the e2speedtest so this is why I dont believe the vpn is running.

I have tried three separate vpn configs from different countries with no difference in outcome.

Last correspondence from IPVanish below

"Unfortunately, we do not have any official articles available for this device as it is not supported by us. So we are sorry to say that we are unable to help you with this request. "

I will get in touch again with the error logs to see if they can do anything for me.

I appreciate all your help and hopefully there will be some ipvanish users that can also assist.

Error log sent to IPVanish with an explanation. Lets see what they say

Tried typing

openvpn /etc/openvpn

instead of

Openvpn /etc/openvpn/client conf

Result below

FreeViewHD login: root
root@FreeViewHD:~# openvpn /etc/openvpn
Wed Jan 3 20:34:36 2018 disabling NCP mode (--ncp-disable) because not in P2MP client or server mode
Options error: You must define TUN/TAP device (--dev)
Use --help for more information.

Back