Peer Block Continues Where Peer Guardian Left Off

Knotaclu

VIP Member
Peer Guardian is without doubt a popular security software that uses blacklists to block connection attempts to a computer system. Various blacklists are provided including those listing IPs of anti-p2p organizations, government and educational IPs but also adware and spyware servers. A problem that users of Peer Guardian experience are crashes and several other issues which can be mainly attributed to the fact that the security software has not been updated in the last two years.

Peer Block is a fork of Peer Guardian that tries to address these issues. It is actively developed and provides the same functionality (but with less problems) than Peer Guardian.

Users can download Peer Block from the official website. It offers a selection of IP blacklists that can be subscribed to. By default only the P2P blacklist is selected during setup. It is possible to select other blacklists which will then be updated at the first startup of the application.

peer_block-500x365.jpg

Regular updates of the blacklists are configured automatically with the option to change the frequency in the settings. The interface itself looks like the Peer Guardian interface.

Peer Block supports all popular Microsoft Windows operating systems
including Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. It is the perfect alternative for users who are experiencing problems with Peer Guardian or prefer a software that gets updated regularly.

I have been using this for about a month now,due to compatability problems with peer Guardian and Windows 7 and so far it seems quite good at updating .
let me know what you think?

Code:
          http://www.peerblock.com/releases/public-releases/peerblock-1.0.0-r181

Last edited:
I switched to this after being recommended by another member on *cough* "another" site. I have been using this for almost 3 months, and have been very pleased with it. I use it in conjunction with Block List Manager, and block well over 3.3 billion ip addys. The settings are very similar to pg2, and have found it very stable on my desktop (XP MCE) and my laptop (Vista Home Premium).

I have ads-trackers-and-bad-pr0n, hijacked.zip, level 1, level 2, spyware checked, and have p2p and spyware checked on default lists. You should also look into having Block List Manager added to it.....it really adds to the blocked lists. A fellow on another *site* made a great guide for adding BLM to pg2, and I just followed that and substitued Peeer Block for pg2.

Forgot to mention, I also have "block http" enabled.....these are the settings I use anytime I d/l from torrents.

Last edited:
Pretty tight set up ray, looks like you have every base covered - i think i have some ip blocklists - gleaned from another few sites buried around here somewhere will dig them out and put here for all those that want them.

Thanks for the Info Knot,

I gave up on PG2 a long time ago, not because it wasn't doing what it said on the tin but because it conflicted with too many other things across a wide range of systems. It also had a nasty habit of blocking some genuine software at will.

Hopefully this one will be an improvement.

-

is a vast improvement Gman, updates daily and so far i have had no conflictions with other software - also there was a rumor going around about 6 months ago that pg2 had been comprimised, i think it was only a rumor,but since then they have made some other security arrangemants which can help nullify this probability

The jury is still our with regard to all this software (for me anyway).

How much of this stuff is driven by paranoia?

Do we really need it?

I stooped using PG2 about 2 years ago & have never had any woe's .....

If it give users the "Feel Safe" factor? how much of it is real & how much of it is psychological?

Maybe "Big Brother" will knock on my door eventually, I don't know.........

-

have to agree with you Gman - i think a lot if not most is driven by the paranoia and the dreaded knock on the door, but at least on the plus side - it is free software, so no one is making money from gullible people and if it alleviates that paranoid feeling. well then fair play, the only downfall i could possibly see is people thinking that they are all of a sudden "bulletproof" and start to take it for granted - that is in where the problem lies me-thinks.
as you have mentioned before, it is common sense that will keep you the most out of harms way.

I certainly know that i would feel really secure running Peer Block, despite it just being another standard layer of protection, i havent used torrents for a year now, its all direct downloads with me. (y)

gave up on pg2 myself, would run once on vista, but that was it. definately gonna be using this!

I certainly know that i would feel really secure running Peer Block, despite it just being another standard layer of protection, i havent used torrents for a year now, its all direct downloads with me. (y)
dan-ger-ous,
Forgive my ignorance, but are direct downloads "safer"....meaning I won't get copyright infringement threats?

Back