Question about one modem and 2 routers

mixfab

Hi All

I was wondering if it is possible to have one modem with a router 1 connected as normal but then connecting another router2 downstairs and linking it to router1 wirelessly
Eg
Router 1 wireless connect to router 2 which is then wired to modem in the normal way.

My router 2 has been flashed with the software to enable this process however not sure if I can carry this out without having a wired connection to my modem for both routers.

Pulling my hair out with this one

Can someone help me please

Based on what little I know about this, your router would have to support and have WDS (wireless distribution system) capability.
A Wireless Distribution System (WDS) is a system enabling the wireless interconnection of access points in an IEEE 802.11 network. It allows a wireless network to be expanded using multiple access points without the traditional requirement for a wired backbone to link them. The notable advantage of WDS over other solutions is it preserves the MAC addresses of client frames across links between access points.[SUP][1][/SUP]
An access point can be either a main, relay, or remote base station. A main base station is typically connected to the (wired) Ethernet. A relay base station relays data between remote base stations, wireless clients or other relay stations to either a main or another relay base station. A remote base station accepts connections from wireless clients and passes them on to relay stations or to main stations. Connections between "clients" are made using MAC addresses rather than by specifying IP assignments.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
All base stations in a Wireless Distribution System must be configured to use the same radio channel, method of encryption (none, WEP, or WPA) and the same encryption keys. They may be configured to different service set identifiers. WDS also requires every base station to be configured to forward to others in the system.

Without knowing your make and model of your routers, I can't help you look into that aspect. I would think that having the same models would make this type of set-up much easier but it may not be necessary.

It might be much easier to just go with a Wireless Bridge or Access Point such as this: Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEW-650AP Wireless Access Point

I think that you are looking for a "Wireless Range Extenders" mixfab?

It's used to bring an existing wireless connection to areas that the original wireless router can't reach.

It also gives you four wired RJ45 sockets along with wireless in the down stairs location by connecting to your upstairs existing router\modem via wireless.

Last edited:
I have 2 dlink routers and a motorola surfboard modem, don't really want to spend anymore money so I would prefer the wds if poss, I'll have a look if it supports wds and get back to you

Thanks for the replies

Back