Restore discs

you should get media centre so you can re-use your Serial number so its all genuine and no annoying wga problems,
if you need it PM me, and il try burn and send you a copy of media-centre, I will have a look at work and see if i have this models recovery disks made up.

ok after all that cant do what i want to do as the F10 or ALTF10 does not work so i have just deleted everything and turned off system restore then turned on again so hopefully if i sell it there shoudl be nothing of ours on there - is that correct

Rather than put in the XP disk i have that does not have the media centre edition and then have to re intall drivers etc. Hopefully can sell it to a friend as its only 3 yrs old, but one other thing is it seems very slow anything i can do to speed it up??. its only a 512mb ram and 80 SATA AMD superon 3000 processor

you should get media centre so you can re-use your Serial number so its all genuine and no annoying wga problems,
if you need it PM me, and il try burn and send you a copy of media-centre, I will have a look at work and see if i have this models recovery disks made up.

pm sent thanks x

WGA aint a problem here :) so if your burning a copy of xp media center, would this not be piracy too ? :) Linny a full clean install will do wonders for speeding up things but a memory upgrade would be a big help too.
Crucial.com will advise on the best upgrade for the machine.

Thanks Axxxo well ill leave the memory upgrade to who ever ends up with it. Im hoping my sons friend will want it as a cheap pc so he can get his dad to buy him the extra memory lol! But yes a clean instal is whats needed Axxxo but i dont have disks - well have a xp hoem disk but as this has media centre wanted to put that back on if poss

I just ment, he can use the key on the sticker on his computer if he uses same version of windows.
Even before reinstalling windows, if you are selling it mate wipe it using nuke software like this
w.ww.dban.org
then install windows onto it,, you never know who could get hands on your hard drive ;)

erm SHE LOL!!!!
LOL well said leonard :)

The windows key is available to you on the bottom of the laptop usually and in the control panel so if you did download an edition of xp media edition and used your key it would still be legit, total bull to be given a computer these days without a reinstallation cd, wouldnt buy it otherwise, granted you have that one for 3 years. go ahead and grab yourself one :)

Last edited:
The windows key is available to you on the bottom of the laptop
honestly boys as MOTHER got to teach you everything . Its a desktop LOL!

sorry yes i did find the key - had trouble reading is as a) its at the bottom and b) its to darn small. lol!

Well sort of gave up on it yesterday fora few days. Althought i did dl the wipeout prog and gonna try that today to wipe it clean. Then when i got a copy of XP media ill put that on. So sleep tight peeps ill get back to let you know if its back up and running next week. :)

Axxxo trouble is the pcs nopw dont come this rescue disks - Acer i know, give you blank disks for you to run the rescue disks, but the pc shops i have tried like currys commet and even john lewis well they come ready packed and with NO OS disk.

I know you pay all that money and they cant even be bothered to give you as disk

If you want to leave it "as is" linny run ccleaner on it, in the options tab select secure file deletion and change the passes to 2 or 3, it will take longer obviously, you could also try the program gman posted about to search for files you have deleted to make sure they are gone completly, sorry i cant remember what it is but im sure its in the useful free apps section.

Also in ccleaner check all the boxes while the "cleaner" tab is highlighted in both Windows and Applications. Uninstall any software/programs you have put on yourself with either ccleaner or revo uninstaller, revo is probably better to use for this.

After all thats done run the registry cleaner available in ccleaner and do a defrag either with the available one in windows or use Auslogics disk defrag which is free also. Then flog it for as much as possible :)

Clicking Start and run and typing recdisc.exe will also create recovery discs for you once this is finished so you'll basically have recdiscs for a clean system, might be a good selling point too ;)

Last edited:
to find deleted items use 'recuva' , freeware,
but if he nuked hard drive with s/w i showed earlier in thread then drive should be pretty clean, agree ccleaner a nice wee prog

Back