Retro gaming consoles

kegnkiwi

TK Veteran
I've seen a lot of these retro gaming consoles coming up on Facebook etc. The prices range from £50 to £599 and above. Anyone any experience of them. I've got an Nvidia shield pro and can set that up but I fancy the ease of use with all the games already with it.

I've seen a lot of these retro gaming consoles coming up on Facebook etc. The prices range from £50 to £599 and above. Anyone any experience of them. I've got an Nvidia shield pro and can set that up but I fancy the ease of use with all the games already with it.
Try RetroArch on your shield, What Consoles are you looking at playing?

I've got classic boy working up to N64 it was the games like the Wii etc that are harder to get working. I know I there is dolphins emulator but it can be a pain

Yes you need a decent pc to get the games to Run Smoothly for Gamecube, Wii, Wiiu and Switch on Dolphin, Cemu and Yuzu But all them consoles are able to be Hacked to run emulators on and Game/ Backup loaders from a Hdd apart from the switch and 3ds, what runs from a SD Card

Last edited:
I bought a lighningmodz console after seeing the facebook advert and community group.

Bloody brilliant. Just over 27,000 games.

PS1, PS2, Mega drive, Dreamcast, Nes/Snes, N64, Gamecube, Xbox.... It also has MAME arcade games and everything. Its brilliant.

If you need any videos of it working or to see some of the catalogue, let me know!

I bought a lighningmodz console after seeing the facebook advert and community group.

Bloody brilliant. Just over 27,000 games.

PS1, PS2, Mega drive, Dreamcast, Nes/Snes, N64, Gamecube, Xbox.... It also has MAME arcade games and everything. Its brilliant.

If you need any videos of it working or to see some of the catalogue, let me know!
I could not make up my mind on what to buy so in the end I went out and bought a 2nd hand PS4 Pro with 1tb drive from CEX. I bought the retro mega drive game and got a number of used ps4 games. I'm pretty happy with my choice at the moment.

I could not make up my mind on what to buy so in the end I went out and bought a 2nd hand PS4 Pro with 1tb drive from CEX. I bought the retro mega drive game and got a number of used ps4 games. I'm pretty happy with my choice at the moment.

I have a PS5 and I was fed up with Sony not putting many retro games out on the premium tier, then they raised the price so I just stopped PS+ and bought that.

Use my PS5 dualsense on it, currently playing MGS Twin Snakes from Gamecube

I've used Emulation Station and Retroarch on an RPI4, I have an RPI5 but I've not stuck anything on it yet. I hear it's able to handle anything up to PSP without too many issues but I've not watched enough nerdy YT videos to check that. I have a MISTer that I've never used because it seems a bit less friendly than the ES GUI, even if it's meant to be far more accurate than software emulation because of the FPGA cores.

Check out Hyperspin on Nvidia Shield its pretty good got a shed load on this, it takes a fir bit of time loading everything on
But the end result is stunning

I picked up a Pandoras Box 18s for stuff like this, just plug it in and off you go (already I've already tinkered adding a few games as some of the builtin ROMs had issues, Out Run you couldn't change gear on the version it came with).

They're just Android based S905x boxes inside with the fancy stuff added for the buttons and LEDs etc inside.

Great bit of kit depending on what you're wanting to run - made it all the way through After Burner and Final Fight for the first time ever.

The one I got was two separate joystick units connected by what looks like an old parallel printer cable and one of them has the Android based box inside.

If you ever get one of them I'd recommend backing up the supplied microSD cards as they sometimes use cheap ones and if you've got a backup it's not so much an issue if it dies.

Back