ring tone on iphone

babs

TK Veteran
hi can anyone tell me how can i put a song from my music as my ring tone on my iphone ty:(

hi can anyone tell me how can i put a song from my music as my ring tone on my iphone ty:(

is your iPhone jailbroken? If so, there is an app called "AnyRing" - download that and your good as gold.

If not my sis found a way to get your music as a ringtone but it means cutting down the size of the music/duration and then converting it to correct format - sounds like a headache. Will ask her anyway and hopefully get back to you.

Babs yh there is a way but cant remember off top of my head. Will look into it in the week n get back to u x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

When u go to contacts edit look at ringtone what do u get? Added mine do long ago now n dont change them. But i have set up different tones for different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Found this elsewhere,

# 1 Open up iTunes on your pc and highlight the MP3 file of the song you want to use as a ringtone. Right-click on the song. When the menu appears, choose "Get Info."

# 2 After the next window opens, click on the tab that says "Options." In this window there is a "Start time" and "Stop Time" field. Click on the boxes next to each of these fields and put the time in the song that you want the ringtone to start and end. The time between the start and the end of the ringtone created from the song cannot be more than 30 seconds; however, it can be less.

# 3 Return to the MP3 file of the song in your iTunes library. Right-click on the song and choose "Convert Selection to AAC." A new 30-second file will be created, which is not the same file as the original MP3. This new file will be 30 seconds long (or as long as the length you made the selection in step 2 was).

# 4 Drag this new file from iTunes onto your desktop. Then return to iTunes and delete the file that was just created in Step 3 by right-clicking on the file and navigating to "Delete" in the menu that opens up. Doing this will not affect the original song file or the ringtone file that is now on your desktop.

# 5 Move the mouse to the icon on the desktop and right-click on it. A menu will appear. Find the "Rename" selection on the menu and click on it. The file will end with "m4a." Change the file extension to ".m4r."

# 6 Drag the .m4r file back into iTunes. Connect your iPhone to the USB port with the USB cord that came with the phone. When the "Sync" button appears, click "OK." This moves the ringtone to the iPhone. You now have used your own song as a ringtone on an iPhone. You can repeat this process to make your own ringtone for as many songs as you want.

• This is very important below (thanks to linny)
    Folderoptions.png

UNCHECK the two highlighted boxes, then click apply, OK when you have finished you can always go back and recheck the boxes, apply, ok

Last edited:
Noel my sis was saying something like that as well - think you more or less have knocked it on the head. :) (y)

thank you noelyf ihave tried this and when i put in the time 30 seconds it keeps going to zero .also where on my iphone will the file m4r go thanks for all the help:)

hi noelyf i have that down to 30 sec and on my desktop as a m4r file how do i get it on my iphone.

o 6 Drag the .m4r file back into iTunes. Connect your iPhone to the USB port with the USB cord that came with the phone. When the "Sync" button appears, click "OK." This moves the ringtone to the iPhone. You now have used your own song as a ringtone on an iPhone. You can repeat this process to make your own ringtone for as many songs as you want.

Have a look at Number 6 in Noels guide, and see if that does it for you babs, ;) hope it works for you.

Sorry babs, I don't have an Iphone to try it meself to see if it works,

when I'm adding music to the kids Ipods I add manually as in I normally just copy or drag the album/song to there Ipod when the Ipod shows up in devices in itunes, (as in screen shot below),

hopefully someone with iphone might be able to sort yeh :(

2qbtcaa.jpg

Last edited:
thanks anto thats what iv been doing ,its on my music on my i phone but i cant get it as a ringtone,

Babs, Make sure you have switched on 'Ringtones' in your http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/#iTunes general preferences on your pc.

When you follow all the steps 1-6, hover over your 'Ringtones' in the left menu list of iTunes & drop it there, or it will just go into your main library.

Great Guide Noel, thanks.

also just been having a look at my itunes and ringtones was not ticked in the preferences , once again thanks, must give this a try on my iphone :)

hi noelf i have opened itunes and in general the boxes there are movies,tv shows,podcast,books,apps,tones,radio,ping,itunes dj,genius, and shared libiaries.these are all ticked.and i have tried to drag the tune i want into tones but nothing happens.thank everyone for all the advice:)

hi noelf i have opened itunes and in general the boxes there are movies,tv shows,podcast,books,apps,tones,radio,ping,itunes dj,genius, and shared libiaries.these are all ticked.and i have tried to drag the tune i want into tones but nothing happens.thank everyone for all the advice:)

Babs my phone is not plugged into my pc But when i go to itunes mine is in library, tones ( with a bell icon) that is where my ringtones are located. Ive now plugged phone into pc and its showing on my itunes still comes up same devices ( my phone) then under tv progs tones with the bell icon

Ok ive tried to do exactly the same but it just wont copy into tones :(

Last edited:
Back